Proof that wealth can't buy class: The top four ugliest cars on the road

Ahem

None of those vehicles is predominantly purchased by wealthy people.

None of those vehicles ARE predominantly purchased by wealthy people. :p

Um

I think nsxtasy is correct. The word "none" is singular, and the prepositional phrase "of those vehicles" is simply a modifier. So, I believe nsxtasy used proper grammar by using "is" instead of "are."

No need to flame, just giving my opinion. :D

Edit: BTW, I was laughing pretty hard at the website. That was hilarious!

Last edited:
In the context he has written, "none" is plural. Try this test.....read his sentence with the prepositional phrase "of those vehicles" that is simply a modifier, deleted. Now ask yourself, which sounds better - "none is purchased" or "none are purchased"?

"No one" implies singularity; however, "none" implies that there are others being referred to.

Oh waiter, check please. :D

Ok Andy, I can accept your explanation. Thank you for clarifying. :)

Oh my.... NSXTASY made a mistake!!! That's a first!!! I'm going to save this thread for future reference. :p

Now <B>AndyVecsey</B> is eligible for 2 extra points on the <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21947&highlight=nsx+geek">NSX Geek Test</A>.

<I>
+ corrected a mistake made by NSXTASY
+_...and been right!_ ;-)
</I>

<B>nimbus</B> : lol... yeah, we'll have so many moderators, everyone will to too frightened to post! :D

AndyVecsey said:
In the context he has written, "none" is plural. Try this test.....read his sentence with the prepositional phrase "of those vehicles" that is simply a modifier, deleted. Now ask yourself, which sounds better - "none is purchased" or "none are purchased"?

"No one" implies singularity; however, "none" implies that there are others being referred to.

Oh waiter, check please. :D

Damn! I was hoping to beat you to that part!!! I used to do the same thing in elementary/middle school when I didn't know whether to use I or Me

who is actually giving the go ahead on these things. Reminds me of the simpsons episode where Homer 'designs' (for want of a better word) his dream car.

Do they do market research before putting these cars out? If so who are they asking and can we have some pictures!

nsxtasy said:
None of those vehicles is predominantly purchased by wealthy people.
The webpage title goes...

Proof that wealth can't buy class: The top four ugliest cars on the road

The vehicles mentioned are not particularly expensive nor impractical; other than the title, little or no "owner demographic" info is given -- probably in the interests of "protecting the innocent" :) Heck, if I owned an Aztek, I'd go into witness protection too...

Whilst not a big Gary Busey fan, some of these cars can make even him look good. :confused:

Back