Problems/maintenance at 40k?

If I'm looking at a 1991 with about 40k miles on it, what should I be looking for in terms of problems and maintenance that may have recently arose or will soon arise? From what I've gathered on the FAQ, it seems nothing major until 60k?

Maintenance recommendations have time duration intervals as well as mileage. For example, the timing belt is recommended for changing at 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first, which means it should have been changed on a '91 (along with the water pump). Similarly, the 30K/60K/90K services, which include fluids etc, should be done every 2 years, even if you don't drive 30K miles during that time.

You should look at the FAQ section on Maintenance - Schedule.

Time vs Mileage

Note well that the maintenance schedules contain both mileage and time requirements. A 1991 NSX is now 13 years old -- over twice the 72 month requirements for a timing belt change. You may want to read this about timing belts. Even here they are talking about 9 years as the absolute maximum time to wait prior to replacement.

Out here in Colorado, where the atmosphere provides so much less UV filtration [causing higher ozone levels], rubber things tend to dry out faster, so I personally take this issue to heart.

I know it is humid in NY (I grew up there!), but be concerned with anything that can get dry and brittle -- door seals, coolant hoses, belts, and so forth.

I would also be concerned with spark plugs -- not because they are worn out -- and lord knows they won't dry out, but rather because 13 years can result in corrusion and extreme difficulty -- or near impossibility -- of removing them. I've heard of people simply loosening and retorquing spark plugs every few years in low mileage cars.

I'll bet you hear of more ideas as time goes on. Best of luck in your search

Thanks for the replies. Assuming the timing belt / water pump hasn't been replaced. How much of a bill am I looking at for this?

Scroll down in the timing belt article and you'll see prices ranging from 1k to 1.5k +/- a little bit

jwocky said:
Thanks for the replies. Assuming the timing belt / water pump hasn't been replaced. How much of a bill am I looking at for this?
You really haven't looked at the FAQ, have you? Go look at the section on Maintenance - Costs.

Back