Private Party Transaction Advice

How do you guys transact cross-country private party sales? I have usually gotten bank checks and had them sent or given to a dealer. I have never dealt with an individual. The car has a lie on it -- fortuitously from the same national bank chain that I use. Any recommendations as how to proceed?

I would let the banks do the money transfer. Once the money is received, the title/paper work can be done usually in house at the bank. Then the bank can release the title to you or your bank. It should be quite painless on your end.

I've also had a local reputable dealership (where the seller was located) be the liaison between the seller and I. I believe they charged around $500 to do all of the paperwork. I received a bill of sale from the dealership and made the full payment to the dealership. The seller essentially "traded" the car in and it was immediately "sold". The dealer handles all of the title work and works through paying off the lien with the seller as any normal vehicle trade in. Small cost for the peace of mind and it was a seamless transaction.

I've also had a local reputable dealership (where the seller was located) be the liaison between the seller and I. I believe they charged around $500 to do all of the paperwork. I received a bill of sale from the dealership and made the full payment to the dealership. The seller essentially "traded" the car in and it was immediately "sold". The dealer handles all of the title work and works through paying off the lien with the seller as any normal vehicle trade in. Small cost for the peace of mind and it was a seamless transaction.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The seller suggested this option. I didn't know about its existence. Perhaps his local dealership is willing.

Back