Pricing on 2001 NSX-T

Hey folks,

I was wondering what I should expect to get at the Mercedes dealership for my 2001 Black NSX-T with Camel interior; it has 28,000 miles and in excellent condition. I plan to trade it in for a 2008 CLS 63 AMG.

thanks in advance,
Jeet

Hey folks,

I was wondering what I should expect to get at the Mercedes dealership for my 2001 Black NSX-T with Camel interior; it has 28,000 miles and in excellent condition. I plan to trade it in for a 2008 CLS 63 AMG.

thanks in advance,
Jeet
"Screwed":eek:

Per KBB value for used car trade-in on a 2001 w/28K miles:

Condition/Value
Excellent
$49,475

Good
$47,155

Fair
$43,015

Does that help? If you wish to sell I may know a buyer interested in that year and color. PM me.

since the car is paid off, I can get a nice tax savings on the trade in (about $4,000+). If I sold it privately, what could I get for it?

thanks again,
Jeet

I don't know about that price. there another prime member with the same year and color that been trying to sell his for over a year and it in that price range I think and it my own opinion if u want a new car sell ur nsx for just under book value so u don't sit on it for a year plus..

Good luck

I interpret the pricing a bit different as well.

The car has average mileage which automatically puts it into the "B" category. Even if the car were mint in every other way it's still a "B", but I would say a "B+".

Average condition (which it most likely is) puts it into a "B-" IMO. A "B+" (flawless car with average miles) could fetch no more than $55,000 according to the pricing chart. Assuming average condition the pricing is more realistic at around $45-50,000, especially when factoring in the buyer's market we seem to have these days.

Either way you're better off selling it privately. You'll be lucky to get that low KBB value of $43K on trade in...:rolleyes:

I interpret the pricing a bit different as well.

The car has average mileage which automatically puts it into the "B" category. Even if the car were mint in every other way it's still a "B", but I would say a "B+".

Average mileage for a 2001 - 28k?????? What are you high?

$55-65,000

I think its pretty hard these days to get that for a 2001. That may be what the book says, but I don't think people will pay that. I would say $55K tops for that car with that mileage. My 01 just hit 20K miles, and is in perfect condition. If I was offered $55K, I would sell it NOW!

since the car is paid off, I can get a nice tax savings on the trade in (about $4,000+). If I sold it privately, what could I get for it?

thanks again,
Jeet

I am not sure what tax savings you can expect selling to a dealer whether you have a clear title or not?

I don't know about that price. there another prime member with the same year and color that been trying to sell his for over a year and it in that price range I think and it my own opinion if u want a new car sell ur nsx for just under book value so u don't sit on it for a year plus..

Good luck

I agree with your observation about selling the car at or below KBB. I think there is a real perception in this forum and elsewhere that the NSX although, rare as compared to other cars is somehow immune to ecomomics. Before I purchased my car last month I contacted some members of this forum who have had there car for sale for over a year. Catch a clue when your car does not sell after a year that the pricing is TOO HIGH and just bumping the thread is not your pathway to a sale.

Everything will sell at a price, but that is dicated by the markeplace NOT your whimsical dream.

You can always have the used car manager do a appraisal. The tax credit of $4000 is very sweet; therefore, if you don't want to deal with the hassel of selling the car on your own, and they are willing to give you whole sale value, it probably is a fair deal.

I'm sure some one on Prime will love to give you top dollar for the car since it has very low miles. Why don't you list it and give it a shot?

A 2001 model might actually be the "best" to attempt a trade in, because KBB doesn't reflect accurate market pricing, and the 2001 is probably the most depreciated model year to own. All else being equal, people would just pay a little less and get a 97 or 98. Or more, for the 02+. So if KBB says 55k, you might get a decent deal on trade in, where you would otherwise get screwed.

Hmmmm...I've heard of some guys paying close to $62K for 2002+ models so trying to get $55K for a 2001 might be a stretch.

I'd do as one other has already posted and get it onto the Prime For Sale forum and you might get close to $50K for it.

Jetpilot

I am not sure what tax savings you can expect selling to a dealer whether you have a clear title or not?

You only pay tax on the cost difference between the trade-in and the new car price. This is regardless whether or not the title is clear of a lien.

I recently sold my 2001; it sold in that range 55-65K; but the lower end of that range. My car had just under 19K miles on it and looked very nice. I was in no hurry to sell by the way. I am sure if I wnated to trade a MBZ dealer would have been happy to offer me low 40's and acted as if they were doing me a favor.

Hey folks,

everyone seems to have different opinions; I am curious to see what the Mercedes Benz dealer will offer me for the trade in; he did mention that he definitely would have no problem having someone buy the NSX in Dallas, etc. Now, if he offers me below 47k; I will post it on NSX; I already posted the car last week on NSX, but have not had a chance to get pics and write up a full detail about the car. We have 2 boys and the NSX unfortunately has to go. I need a 4 door sedan.

thanks,
Jeet

I pointed out in the thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92818 that there are some very nice 97-98 cars for sale here.

Obviously a 2001 is 3 to 4 years newer but the cars listed here have similar mileage, nice mods, and look very good.

I just don't think a knowledgeable NSX buyer will pay $55K for a 2001 in B+ condition.

There are 27 1997-2001 NSXs listed on Autotrader and Cars.com. Asking prices range from upper 30s to mid 50s. As I usually find - the Autotrader cars are less expensive - most in the 40s.

To obtain top dollar for any vehicle you start with the premise that the car it top quality.

A 2001 model might actually be the "best" to attempt a trade in, because KBB doesn't reflect accurate market pricing, and the 2001 is probably the most depreciated model year to own. All else being equal, people would just pay a little less and get a 97 or 98. Or more, for the 02+. So if KBB says 55k, you might get a decent deal on trade in, where you would otherwise get screwed.

KBB doesn't relfect accurate market pricing on any NSX. KBB and NADA base their figures on auction data and since so few NSXs move at auction KBBs numbers are not going to represent the true NSX market. The Black Book is different however.

I would not ever refer to KBB or NADA for accurate pricing on an NSX. The FAQ pricing chart remains one of the most accurate tools for analyzing the NSX market.

drjeetpateldds said:
everyone seems to have different opinions; I am curious to see what the Mercedes Benz dealer will offer me for the trade in; he did mention that he definitely would have no problem having someone buy the NSX in Dallas, etc. Now, if he offers me below 47k; I will post it on NSX; I already posted the car last week on NSX, but have not had a chance to get pics and write up a full detail about the car. We have 2 boys and the NSX unfortunately has to go. I need a 4 door sedan.

I guarantee you the dealer will offer you below $47K...:rolleyes:

KBB doesn't relfect accurate market pricing on any NSX. KBB and NADA base their figures on auction data and since so few NSXs move at auction KBBs numbers are not going to represent the true NSX market. The Black Book is different however.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? I thought the black book is the most accurate because it is, in fact, based on auction data of 2 weeks prior. KBB and NADA are run by dealers and, from my experience (though I can't say about the NSX specifically) they tend to overvalue cars for obvious reasons.

I would not ever refer to KBB or NADA for accurate pricing on an NSX. The FAQ pricing chart remains one of the most accurate tools for analyzing the NSX market.

:

You love to argue with me - why is that?

Anyway, please re-read what I wrote and let me know if it still doesn't make sense. Maybe symbols are easier to interpret.

KBB always < > Market Value
Usually KBB < Market Value
Sometimes KBB > Market Value (2001 for example)

Upon trade in, an unknowledgable dealer will likely reference KBB before making an offer. You can use that to your advantage in this case.

I guarantee you the dealer will offer you below $47K...:rolleyes:

Agreed. I've been offered $40K twice from two different dealers. And they thought they were cutting themselves and bleeding for me.

I've had mine for sale, then not, then for sale again for over a year. It's not an easy car to sell (thankfully :biggrin: ). And I'm down to $47K. The NSX Prime chart seems a little high to me, but it's nice to direct potential buyers to it who offer some ridiculous low ball price.

Good luck with your sale/trade. I can't imagine actually wanting to get rid of an NSX though, especially for a kraut-burner :biggrin: :wink: .

Back