Preference of manufacturing plant for the 2nd Generation NSX

Preference of manufacturing plant for the 2nd Generation NSX

• Honda's American-based R&D facility and powertrain in Honda's Japanese-based R&D facility

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Honda's Japanese-based R&D facility and powertrain in Honda's American-based R&D facility

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Honda's Japanese-based R&D facility and powertrain in Honda's Japanese-based R&D facility

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Honda's American-based R&D facility and powertrain in Honda's American-based R&D facility

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Doesn't matter which facility

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
I'm creating this poll to get votes from every single NSX owner on this forum with their preference on which Honda department manufacturers the 2nd Generation NSX. This will probably not influence Honda Corporate, but is quite interesting to know the results. You're more than welcome to be biased towards your selection.

its born in japan it should be reborn in japan. and stay that way. just ship the new beast to USA we will buy it and it will be an Import LOL

I feel that the best cars honda made all had J as the 1st letter in the vin. As in all the dohc vtec cars of the 90's.

I fully understand everyone's concerns about American built quality and attention to detail given the recent recalls in the news. IMHO the will be a team assembled by the best of the of the best and the proof will be in the final product

In the back of my head, i keep thinking...

come on now, we all know the new NSX is not a Honda, or anything close the NSX legend

What's the point of the survey - it's all a done deal
The decisions where to build the various components were made years ago.
Don't you think people will either buy the new NSX, or not, based on the car it is, not where it was made?

California would be the last place for any new manufacturing facility.

- high tax base
- excessive regulation
- low workforce quality
- high wages
- adversarial unions (not that Honda is a union company).
- high cost of living

The last stat I heard on the subject was that business relocation "out-migration" was up 26% from 2011.

In any event, the manufacturing plant is in Ohio. The powerplant will be designed (and built according to some) in Japan and the car will be built in the US. By building it in the US, Honda is saving buyer's currency translation premiums which I'm sure new owners will be appreciative of.

California would be the last place for any new manufacturing facility.

- high tax base
- excessive regulation
- low workforce quality
- high wages
- adversarial unions (not that Honda is a union company).
- high cost of living

The last stat I heard on the subject was that business relocation "out-migration" was up 26% from 2011.

In any event, the manufacturing plant is in Ohio. The powerplant will be designed (and built according to some) in Japan and the car will be built in the US. By building it in the US, Honda is saving buyer's currency translation premiums which I'm sure new owners will be appreciative of.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/09/autos/tesla-model-s-consumer-reports/index.html

It would be great if the new NSX were to be built in the same japanese plant by the same japanese workers as we had in 1990. But that isn't economically feasable or in the best longterm interest of Honda Corp. Global economics aside, Japan is experiencing a rapidly shrinking available workforce due to old age. For the first time ever some companies are turning to foreign workers and technology to perform those jobs.

Today's American autoworker is not the uneducated school dropout that prevailed in the past. (At least in the japanese auto manufacturing model.) Ten years ago, I played a small part in recruiting the Toyota plant here in San Antonio. Toyota required at least some college and no prior experience in auto manufacturing. They wanted a workforce trained the Toyota way which is somewhat different from the American auto manufacturing culture. Also they wanted critical thinking skills. An autoworker in their factory has the responsibility to stop everything if they see a problem at their station. They are accountable to bring their team together and find a solution to the problem. This is common quality control at most japanese manufacturers.

Remember in 1990 the workers who built our NSXs had to have at least 10 years of quality automotive manufacturing experience at Honda. They have been building Hondas in Ohio since the mid 80s. So it is conceivable that the team building the new NSX could have twice that experience. And, since the new NSX is to be Honda's halo car, it's doubtful that the quality goals are less than those on our cars. I believe Ohio can do it right. But the the question still remains; will it be the car I would want to buy? I remain hopeful.

Last edited:
Back