PPI Recommendation in OC?

Hello All,

I am looking to finalize a purchase of my dream NSX but I am looking for a reliable place to do a PPI...

Can anyone provide some feedback on this?

Thanks in advanced...

Jeff

Hello All,

I am looking to finalize a purchase of my dream NSX but I am looking for a reliable place to do a PPI...

Can anyone provide some feedback on this?

Thanks in advanced...

Jeff

It would be easier to make a recommendation if you stated where the car is currently located, SoCal is huge!!

In the OC there are only two shops I would go to - Niguel Motors or Auto Wave

It would be easier to make a recommendation if you stated where the car is currently located, SoCal is huge!!

In the OC there are only two shops I would go to - Niguel Motors or Auto Wave

Sorry about that...

The car is located in Pomona/Diamond Bar Area...

I have called autowave and they have suggested two types of PPI

1) Visual Inspection top to bottom = $105
2) Visual + Extensive testing to see if the motor is still strong = $300

Does that sound about right?

Jeff

Those prices sound very reasonable. Actually they are more on the bargain side if you ask me. Especially for a shop like Autowave and their NSX knowledge.

For the extensive inspection, ask them if they are doing a compression test and leak down test. What is included in this extensive inspection.

I would much rather take it to either Autowave or Niguel over an Acura dealership any day. Acura dealership hardly ever see NSX and will most likely overlook many things that are known problems on the NSX. Plus dealership will only quote your OEM parts to fix everything and scare the heck out of you, while the other independent shops might have cheaper alternatives.

An example is the climate control unit going out. The dealer would probably list a new one at $950 plus $200 install. Everyone on Prime knows you can have it fixed from BrianK for about $150. Same goes for the Bose speakers.

Go to Autowave or Niguel, they probably works on an NSX everyday.

Last edited:
1) Visual Inspection top to bottom = $105
2) Visual + Extensive testing to see if the motor is still strong = $300

Does that sound about right?

Jeff

Sounds about right I had a PPI done and it was a little under 300 bucks. But that was back in 1999 as well. But it did include compression testing as well.

Those prices sound very reasonable. Actually they are more on the bargain side if you ask me. Especially for a shop like Autowave and their NSX knowledge.

For the extensive inspection, ask them if they are doing a compression test and leak down test. What is included in this extensive inspection.

I would much rather take it to either Autowave or Niguel over an Acura dealership any day. Acura dealership hardly ever see NSX and will most likely overlook many things that are known problems on the NSX. Plus dealership will only quote your OEM parts to fix everything and scare the heck out of you, while the other independent shops might have cheaper alternatives.

An example is the climate control unit going out. The dealer would probably list a new one at $950 plus $200 install. Everyone on Prime knows you can have it fixed from BrianK for about $150. Same goes for the Bose speakers.

Go to Autowave or Niguel, they probably works on an NSX everyday.

Yes I do believe they are doing a leakdown test...

Sounds good I am working it out with the current owner for a PPI appointment...

Jeff

Also, to facilitate things, if the seller has AAA plus he can have it flat bedded over there without arranging to drop it off/get a ride etc. It doesn't cost him anything except 1 of his 4 annual allotted tows under the membership. Autowave always has a NSX in their shop.

Jeff

Also, to facilitate things, if the seller has AAA plus he can have it flat bedded over there without arranging to drop it off/get a ride etc. It doesn't cost him anything except 1 of his 4 annual allotted tows under the membership. Autowave always has a NSX in their shop.

Jeff

That's asking a lot; have the owner entrust his car with a tow truck, pay for the tow, and not be there for loading/unloading with zero commitment from a buyer?

Niguel Motors & Autowave are the NSX shops in Orange County, you can't go wrong with either of them.

That's asking a lot; have the owner entrust his car with a tow truck, pay for the tow, and not be there for loading/unloading with zero commitment from a buyer?

Niguel Motors & Autowave are the NSX shops in Orange County, you can't go wrong with either of them.

I don't think so. You watch it get loaded and Autowave watches it on the other end. I always come to terms with the buyer/seller as in if the PPI passes the buyer is committed with a prior deposit (prior to tow/PPI). If the PPI fails (can come up with the terms of failure...bad compression, over $x in repairs, etc) then the buyer receives his deposit back. The tow doesn't cost him anything except one of his 4 tows/year assuming he has AAA plus....most of us don't reach that limit anyway. Is the car lowered/dumped? Just a suggestion to make it easier for the seller to get the PPI done.

Jeff

Hey guys thanks for the feedback...

The seller is actually an old friend of mine but I still have to do the proper actions for a proper transaction. Even amongst friends I still like to make sure all ends are covered...

We are both quite busy and I was wondering if there are any other locations that may be closer to Pomona/Diamond Bar area...

Cerritos Acura? Anyone have feedback from them for PPI? The seller just went there recently to do the TB/WP service...

I heard nothing but good things about Autowave but they are a bit far for the both of us...

Thanks agian in advanced...

Jeff

The seller is actually an old friend of mine but I still have to do the proper actions for a proper transaction. Even amongst friends I still like to make sure all ends are covered...

We are both quite busy and I was wondering if there are any other locations that may be closer to Pomona/Diamond Bar area...

Cerritos Acura? Anyone have feedback from them for PPI? The seller just went there recently to do the TB/WP service...

I heard nothing but good things about Autowave but they are a bit far for the both of us...

Jeff

The dealerships in the area don't see many NSX's... I would really take it to Niguel Motors, about a 35 minute drive from Pomona.

http://www.niguelmotors.com

Jeff

All three are actually about the same time/distance. ? do you know if the WP/TB was replaced when Jon M. was still working there? If that was the case, then you should call them to see if they have a NSX certified mechanic. If not, then definitely go to either Niguel Motors or Auto Wave.

Jeff

I brought my NSX to Cerritos for a PPI. They have a certified NSX tech so you just need to make sure he is available when you bring the car in. As already mentioned, they will only recommend replacing parts for anything not working properly. This includes the climate control, ABS, TCS, door thingies, etc. and other common NSX ailments. They also missed a few things (back-up lights not working, windshield washer unit not working, etc.) so make sure you literally try everything yourself.

Autowave is only 15 minutes farther, so I would just take the car there!

I brought my NSX to Cerritos for a PPI. They have a certified NSX tech so you just need to make sure he is available when you bring the car in. As already mentioned, they will only recommend replacing parts for anything not working properly. This includes the climate control, ABS, TCS, door thingies, etc. and other common NSX ailments. They also missed a few things (back-up lights not working, windshield washer unit not working, etc.) so make sure you literally try everything yourself.

Autowave is only 15 minutes farther, so I would just take the car there!

Thanks for the feedback... I wouldnt mind the extra drive to autowave but the truth is that they are only open mon to friday...

Would prefer to try on a sat but I guess sat doesnt leave too many options...

Thanks again and will try to figure something out soon...

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback... I wouldnt mind the extra drive to autowave but the truth is that they are only open mon to friday...

Would prefer to try on a sat but I guess sat doesnt leave too many options...

Thanks again and will try to figure something out soon...

Jeff

Call Shane and see if he can arrange to meet u on Sat. Or do the AAA option if he has the membership.
Jeff

Back