PPI in Chicago Area

Hi Guys,

I've finally settled on a car (the Black '03 at Libertyville Acura on Autotrader) and I'm looking for advice on where to have the PPI done. Also, is there anything that I should specify that I want done as part of the PPI (some people have mentioned engine compression tests or alignment specs) or is it pretty standard? Thanks in advance for your help.

A few more questions... how necessary is the PPI on a Certified '03 with a clean Carfax? What is the typical procedure on inspecting the car when purchasing from a dealership? Does the car get driven to the dealership doing the inspection or does a tech come to the selling dealership? Trying to figure out the logistics here and I don't think the selling dealership is really supportive of having an inspection done.

When the seller is a private party, typically the seller drives the car to the inspecting dealership and the prospective buyer pays for the inspection. Dealers typically aren't thrilled with the prospect of having a PPI done on a car they're selling.

There are two main ways in which a car can be evaluated: mechanical condition, and aesthetic condition. I would have ZERO concerns about a car's mechanical condition if it were an Acura certified used car, just because any mechanical problems (other than the usual exclusions) can be fixed for free under the terms of the warranty. Frankly, I wouldn't even bother. As for aesthetic condition, I would have the car inspected by a qualified body shop as a PPI. The Last Detail is a high-end body shop with NSX experience and they are located very close to Acura of Libertyville.

Back