Possibly going to the dark side!

Anyone on prime have/had both an NSX & SL600?? Just looking for some feedback/input on the MBZ. I took a test drive last week on a stock SL600 and was quite impressed. I know two different beast, but not too different after driving one. Wife says she'll "float the bill" for it; whatever that means. Here's a picture of the one she/we are looking at (Full AMG and RennTech upgrades 625hp & 750tq).

As always thanks for any input.

Attachments

• MBZ.jpg
    MBZ.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 364
Gene, that is just plain sick!!! My wife needs to talk to your wife... A friend that has had a NSX just got the SL55, not quite the monster that you are looking at, but still awesome.
He loves it. I drove it for awhile just the other day and I am impressed by everything the car does. It really scoots and handles very well. If the renntech upgrades come with the much better suspension setups of previous SL's it will handle even better. If they have improved on them at all then, :eek: The brakes are phenominal, The power was just plain smooth. I loved every minute of driving it.

My friend uses it as his daily driver, as he did his NSX.
He compares it to his old 300ZXTT, but just a little heavier.
I have never driven a 300ZXTT, so I have no basis for a comparison.

Go for it. It is a nice car.
JAO worth less than .02

My dad had a MBZ CL600 (2001) although a very good car. (Now has a CL55) It does tend to have engine problems. Not sure if they have come up with a solution to this problem for the newer 12 cylinder cars. The car had been in and out of the dealer a couple of times and once for about 3 months, i believe, due to a check engine light coming up showing that there was something wrong with the variable cylinder activation. Not really sure what they call it. I have driven it quiet a few times and it is a nice car but I think that the AMG 55 series has are better than the 600 series cars that MBZ makes. IMO

Also talked with one of the techs at the dealer and he also agrees that the 8 cylinder engines, which is what is in the 55 series MBZ just supercharged, are a lot stronger and better built than 12 cylinder engines (600 series)

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the SL55 myself. However, I live above 6000 ft in altitude, so the supercharger would be nice. I've always wanted a V12, but the supercharged V8 seems very competitive to it. I've heard of problems with the MB V12, but not specifically the one in the car you drove. Good luck. It's a beautiful car, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Whatever car you get, it will never be as nice as the wife you have!!!

I have a 2003 S600 with the Renntech upgrades and I can tell you that it is a monster! Since I bought it about two months ago I haven't driven the NSX, to tell the truth I haven't driven any of my other cars.

Before this I had the S55 and I can tell you that the S600 is much stronger even before the Renntech upgrades. I know Mercedes lists them both at 493hp, but I think this is just for AMG to save face. The S600 is heavier and still faster so you know the V12 must be producing more horsepower.

The handling of the NSX is in another league with the Mercedes but the acceleration is intoxicating.

Good Luck! I am sure you will be very happy with the car.

Awesome!! I say go for it. I have an s55 and its a big sedan and its still fun to drive! Almost as much fun as my nsx( i said ALMOST). Judging by that you should do it!
Good Luck
Paul M

i have one friend with the sl 55, and 2 others with the sl 600. the sl55 was the hands down winner at thr track, but the sl600 pulls away in a straight line. why not get the sl 65 and get serious?

that's not the dark side...

you're comparing apples & oranges. I had a 500SL...lots of fun, I just needed a 6 speed MANUAL. Go for it, both cars are fun :)

Back