Possibly 3 Variants of the NSX - Mugen, Type R, and standard NSX

So which car will be fast, faster, and fastest?????? Price points?
Will the Mugen actually be cheeper since it has all the hybrid stuff and AWD removed?
If the Mugen is 500hp, with no electric boost, there is no way a 3.5L Turbo or TT would be able to reach that number on a mass production car. So what motor would be capable? 5.0 V10 would be crazy cool.

I think if this news is correct, that would be badass.

More info from Rolled. I'm liking the Mugen version. RWD without the Hybrid. YES!

1. Mugen - 500 PS, Rear Wheel Drive, light weight, hybrid omitted
2. Type R - 600+ PS, AWD, Hybrid
3. Standard NSX - 550-600 PS, AWD, Hybrid

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1165165&page_number=3&

These and others are RolledaNSX's wishes and desires as a TOV member, nothing more.:rolleyes:

Minami never said anything about any variants of the NSX at all. He simply said it was a mistake to have stopped producing the NSX and the S2000....something the entire enthusiast community has been saying for almost a decade!

So to get 500hp out of 3.5, it needs to be turbo charged. I guess that's way to go if they want to save R&D costs by not making a new engine.

Last edited:
Who is "rolled"? Looks like just some dude on a forum. How is he of any authority?

Mugen ftw

So which car will be fast, faster, and fastest?????? Price points?
Will the Mugen actually be cheeper since it has all the hybrid stuff and AWD removed?
If the Mugen is 500hp, with no electric boost, there is no way a 3.5L Turbo or TT would be able to reach that number on a mass production car. So what motor would be capable? 5.0 V10 would be crazy cool.

I think if this news is correct, that would be badass.
A gt3 makes 475 out of 3.8 l NA. Why can't a turbo 3.5 make 500 ?

Several months ago, he also mentioned that there were 3 NSX engines undergoing testing in Japan All of them being 3.5L V6. One was 3.5L Hybrid, second was 3.5L Hybrid w/turbo, and the third was NA capable of spinning up to 8700 rpms.

911s have so many variants including base, S, Turbo, Turbo S, AWD, GT3s GT3RS. Honda is targeting 911, it makes sense for them to offer a few different drivetrain configurations.

Did he say if they were SOHC or DOHC?

Several months ago, he also mentioned that there were 3 NSX engines undergoing testing in Japan All of them being 3.5L V6. One was 3.5L Hybrid, second was 3.5L Hybrid w/turbo, and the third was NA capable of spinning up to 8700 rpms.

911s have so many variants including base, S, Turbo, Turbo S, AWD, GT3s GT3RS. Honda is targeting 911, it makes sense for them to offer a few different drivetrain configurations.

Wondering what the bore and stroke of the 3.5L is?
To rev to 8700 rpm it should be a short stroke engine and the current J series is long stroke.
A new engine block?

More info from Rolled. I'm liking the Mugen version. RWD without the Hybrid. YES!

1. Mugen - 500 PS, Rear Wheel Drive, light weight, hybrid omitted
2. Type R - 600+ PS, AWD, Hybrid
3. Standard NSX - 550-600 PS, AWD, Hybrid

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1165165&page_number=3&

I'm digging the thought of the 320 PS, FR, Acura GT "S2000". Not MR like the NSX, but it would probably be of similar or better performance as an NA2, and likely significantly less expensive than the NSX 2.0.

Mclaren NSX? 700+PS?! Wow, too good to be true!

You got that right:rolleyes:

The desperation to want to believe anything and everything that someone imagines up about the "next nsx" is bordering on pitiable:frown:

It is likely that if the hype and frenzy of 600hp! or 700hp! continues, poor HONDA despite its best efforts, is being set up to disappoint once again.

Wondering what the bore and stroke of the 3.5L is?
To rev to 8700 rpm it should be a short stroke engine and the current J series is long stroke.
A new engine block?

My understanding is it shares the J35 block with the RLX (with reinforcement where appropriate) but will have dedicated DOHC heads and exotic internals like the original C30A. Stroke not an issue if the rotating assembly is light/durable enough.

Interesting but silly to me. I don't see the R&D and model differentiation costs being worthwhile on such a low production car. While the reference to the 911 carries some weight, this car will have no where near the production volume of a 911. I think it is more comparable to the specialty models like the GT3/GT2/RS (combined). The GT3, for instance, couldn't even justify the development expenses of both a manual and PDK. I think a Type R/S (more like the Mugen specs) and a regular is much more reasonable. I'd go for more a Type S version focusing on lightweight/racing rather than simply "the best" like a Type R. Say RWD and 150 kilo's lighter realistically with more agressive suspension/aero's than the standard version. If they make the Type R it would have to be the fastest just like the OP described it. They could always bring out a Type R version a few years into production if they think it's worth it. I'd love the torque vectoring etc. but personally don't want the complexity of a hybrid system. Maybe the "Type S" would even come in manual..? Asking for too much I'm sure..

My understanding is it shares the J35 block with the RLX (with reinforcement where appropriate) but will have dedicated DOHC heads and exotic internals like the original C30A. Stroke not an issue if the rotating assembly is light/durable enough.

I'm not an engineer but my reading has suggested the tension and compression on the exhaust stoke is the hardest work the conrod does and the piston can undergo up to 2000 Gs of force.
The longer the stroke the higher the rod and piston speed and the higher the G forces.
Some articles suggest mean piston speed in a racing engine is about 25 meters per second.
This is for engines rebuilt frequently.

A J series engine with a 93 mm stroke will reach 27.9 meters/sec at 9000 rpm.
Our C30 with a 78 mm stroke only reaches 23.4 m/s at 9000 rpm.

I see that the 458 and the GT3 are short stroke engines with piston speeds below 25 m/s.

Perhaps you are right that with new materials piston speed is no longer relevant.
Would you know why Ferrari and Porsche are sticking with short stroke design?

I'm not an engineer but my reading has suggested the tension and compression on the exhaust stoke is the hardest work the conrod does and the piston can undergo up to 2000 Gs of force.
The longer the stroke the higher the rod and piston speed and the higher the G forces.
Some articles suggest mean piston speed in a racing engine is about 25 meters per second.
This is for engines rebuilt frequently.

A J series engine with a 93 mm stroke will reach 27.9 meters/sec at 9000 rpm.
Our C30 with a 78 mm stroke only reaches 23.4 m/s at 9000 rpm.

I see that the 458 and the GT3 are short stroke engines with piston speeds below 25 m/s.

Perhaps you are right that with new materials piston speed is no longer relevant.
Would you know why Ferrari and Porsche are sticking with short stroke design?

Even back in the day when the Integra type R was in production those engines were hitting 25m/s in stock form before hitting rev limiter. People were even raising it up to almost 9k on the stock valvetrain without valve float or rotating assembly issues. That's old tech too! :) OEM High performance engines today can do much better if they want it to. Hell with with aftermarket components I put the limit to my engine assemblies at no more than 29m/s or roughly 5800 feet/minute. They do just fine so long as the stroke is to my liking. Too much stroke with high rpm is bad juju :)

Back