Possible buyer with questions

Greetings NSX group,

My name is Doug and am a new forum member. I am in the early stages of looking for a car. Very early, if fact, as I will need to sell my airplane first, to fund this endeavor. (trading one toy for another!)

My ideal car, at this point, would be an unmodified red 94' with tan interior. My current car is a suspension modified 06' MX-5. Must admit, I love going top down and only put the top up in the heat of the summer (all long time here in Central Texas!). So that leads me to thinking about a T-top version. As an engineer, I like the idea of the rigidity of a hard top but am afraid I will really miss open motoring.

The question is: are the t-tops noticeably more loose/noisy than the hard tops? For those who may have owned both, how do they compare?

Thanks for your time. This is a great group on the forum, the technical depth you have is far better than most car forums.

Thanks for the reply. I already have read/printed out that buyer guide, and it mentions this issue in passing. I also apologize if I have missed a previous thread on the subject. We all have different expectations from our cars and I know the answer is an opinion for each of us. Just hoping someone who owned both, could quantify the difference.

For me I had to have the T-Top. I live in SoCal and have only tracked my car once. Driving with the top down, which I do a lot, is more important to me than the lost rigidness of a coupe. Its up to you.

I cant answer your question regarding wind noise. But, on occasion, you will experience "T-Top Squeak" when the gasket dries or gets dusty. However, this noise can be be remedied.

I live in Florida and also own an S2000. I had to have the T top myself and im glad I did. If you enjoy the open air there is no question

Last edited:
I am from the Seattle area and own a T. Other than to wash, it stays off no matter the temperature. When it does rain, it stays in the garage. Other than my our ex 91 NSX pulling a little harder, I can't tell any other difference with my 95 in terms of noises, squeeks, and rigidity.

Rolling up the windows removes most of the wind, if you are caught without your top.

Also, the stereo sounds great topless too.

The updates and benefits from a T surpasses any plus a coupe may have.

I would have kept my 91 if I was going to permanently track my car though.

I think entirely too much is made of the coupe being more rigid than the targa. Compared to many other cars, the T is actually quite rigid. Some guys track their cars with the top off!

If you are buying to enjoy the car, and you are driving the miata around that much with the top down, I really recommend you look into a T. With the Targa in place, the difference in rigidity is really small. So if you think having a top above your head and owning a T versus a coupe is a big difference, it isn't.

If you are going to seriously track the car, I would then seriously consider a coupe, but chassis flex is not something I really experience much even on track. With a really hard suspension perhaps more. You can add quite a bit of rigidity to the car too, by adding chassis bars. I have ran the STMPO FCB (front Chassis brace), RSTB (rear strut tower brace), FSTB (front strut tower brace), and R chassis bars... the car is rock solid with all of that. Way different from stock, with the RSTB making the biggest difference. This piece never got the recognition if deserved on this forum, I highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

I live in new england where the top can come off only 3-4 months a year. And I still wouldn't trade my Targa for a coupe. From what you have described, I think a T is a better choice for you.

Last edited:
I love my T, but it does have more squeaks and rattles than a coupe. It also has more wind noise.

I have the stmpo brace and I would say mine feels very rigid.

I would say unless you want a dedicated track car, get a t.

Welcome .. make sure you check out the NSX Wiki which you can get to by clicking 'Wiki' on the red action bar at the top of most pages. Among other things, you will find a section called "Purchasing an NSX" which should give you other useful information.

I own an unmodified red/tan T. Have to admit I've never even ridden in a coupe to compare, but wouldn't trade having the option of an open air ride for what the coupe could offer.

honda made extensive reinforcements to the body when it introduced the t-top in 95:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1995

i have driven a coupe and didn't find it much more rigid.on a beautiful day,driving with the top off is just magic,so i recommend it.when i was deciding on my purchase,i realized this was my dream car,and in the dream,the roof was open to the sky.

this battle over coupe VS T is old
my coupe is better than your T blah blah blah crap.

for every 1 T owner there are 10 coupe owners that say other wise

I have a coupe and T and to drive one around the block at break neck speeds then get in the T and do the same block at break neck speeds

you can tell the difference from the coupe vs the T almost instanly.

my 2 cents.

blah blah blah who cares LOL its an NSX they all look bad ass

Greetings NSX group,

My name is Doug and am a new forum member. I am in the early stages of looking for a car. Very early, if fact, as I will need to sell my airplane first, to fund this endeavor. (trading one toy for another!)

My ideal car, at this point, would be an unmodified red 94' with tan interior. My current car is a suspension modified 06' MX-5. Must admit, I love going top down and only put the top up in the heat of the summer (all long time here in Central Texas!). So that leads me to thinking about a T-top version. As an engineer, I like the idea of the rigidity of a hard top but am afraid I will really miss open motoring.

The question is: are the t-tops noticeably more loose/noisy than the hard tops? For those who may have owned both, how do they compare?

Thanks for your time. This is a great group on the forum, the technical depth you have is far better than most car forums.

Doug I really think you should drive a coupe and a T to see for yourself. What is a tolerable difference to some may not be to you.

Back