Porsche 993, Ferrari 328, comparison opinions

jcs

Registered Member
Have been looking to replace a high performance Jaguar that I recently sold and have been looking at spending 35-45k for either a 993, a 328, or an NSX...(have owned 993s before and a 308, carbuerated)....Very intrigued with the engineering of the NSX and performance upgrade options etc....
Interested in NSX owners points of view and experiences in evaluating their cars against the Ferrari and/or Porsche.....
Thanks.....Jeff

There are some good comparison comments about the 993 in the FAQ here.

As for the 328, that's a much older model than the NSX. The NSX can walk all over it in every way.

I've driven a 993. Here are the comments I wrote down at the time:

Well, today, for the first time in my life, I drove a late-model (but not 996 and not turbo) Porsche 911. I had lunch with a friend, and we switched cars for the drive from the office to lunch. In the past, I had ridden in Porsches numerous times on the track, but always as a passenger.

What a HUGE difference in driving feel! It just felt so very different. I had figured that the driving experience wouldn't be all that different from one high-performance car to another, but I was mistaken.

Impressions:

Who the heck designed these pedals? Were they nuts? Yes, I had heard about the hinges on the bottom of the P-car pedals, but that's not what was so weird. First of all, the amount of travel of the clutch pedal from the bottom to the top was enormous, even though the effective range was just as narrow as the NSX. Who needs all that pedal travel? It just makes it difficult to find the effective range, that's all. Secondly, the gas pedal seems like it's about 20 inches further away from you than the clutch and brake pedals. But then that clutch pedal has so much travel, it seems as though it travels that same 20 inches. Totally incomprehensible.

The dash. Not bad. The NSX dash has a depth of maybe 8-9 inches from the steering wheel to the gauges. In the 911, they're almost in the same plane. It was actually rather appealing that way, because your eyes don't have to find the right focal length from the wheel. Nice.

The gearshift. Also pretty good. The throws are somewhat longer than the NSX (bad) but worked very smoothly (good) and was actually easier than the NSX to put into the proper gear. What I mean is that, there are times in the NSX when I'm not paying attention and sometimes try to go to third and instead go to fifth or vice versa. That would be more difficult with the 911 because there's a much more positive feel in the left-to-right positioning of the shift lever. I might have given Porsche the advantage in this area, but they lost it when they designed reverse gear. Having reverse in the upper left position was strange to begin with, and it was extremely difficult to engage reverse, requiring a lot of pressure and was quite notchy.

The HVAC controls. Ancient hieroglyphics. They must have hired Mel Brooks playing the 2000 year old man to tell them how to label them with those cave man markings. Let's see, there's a big snowflake, that must be the A/C. But why are there TWO different buttons with snowflakes? Why two slider controls? And this knob must be the fan, but when I turn it, nothing happens. (I found out later that there's a brief time lag before adjusting it has any effect.) It seems to me that HVAC controls should be very, very simple. There really are only a few things you can adjust - temperature, where the air comes from, where the air goes to, whether it's chilled, and how fast the fan blows. Not rocket science. ANY car today ought to have simple, easy-to-understand HVAC controls - and most of them do, even your everyday family sedan. But not the 911.

The stereo is an Alpine. I don't know if it came with the car or was aftermarket, but one look at the tiny size of the buttons convinced me not to even try.

Glove box - small but worked okay. The arm rest in the door flipped up (I forget why) and just struck me as junky.

Okay, okay - we get cars like this to DRIVE. So how was driving it? Unfortunately, the route we took had almost no turns, so I can't comment on sheer cornering ability. But the steering is nowhere near as responsive as on the NSX. Like the A/C, there seemed to be a lag. Turn the wheel, wait a half second, and yes, then the car turns nicely. Whereas the NSX seems to turn like magic, as soon as the thought crosses your mind, before you even turn the wheel.

The brakes were very nice - not the killer brakes I had heard about, but smooth and effective. Although lately my NSX brakes have also felt quite good, and don't seem to me to be the weak point some other folks feel they are. But that could be because I've been using aftermarket pads, rotors, and fluid on my NSX. So that may be an unfair comparison.

The power just didn't overwhelm me, but the horsepower curve seemed much flatter than in the NSX. With the NSX, if you keep the revs in the 2000-3000 range around town, there seems to be very little power. But (as we all know) get the revs up over 5000, and it turns into a screamer. Whereas the 911 seemed to have more power than the NSX at the pussycat end of the rev band, but I never really felt it take off the way the NSX does, even when I had it floored at different points in the rev band.

So those are my impressions. To sum up - the 911 is supposed to be a car that competes with the NSX. Before I drove one, my assumption had been that overall I would find it to be an equivalent vehicle - better in some areas, worse in others. But as it turns out, I was quite disappointed. In my personal opinion, I felt that it was just not a very impressive car, with capabilities that don't even come close to the NSX, and features that are are not only user-UNfriendly, but bizarre and senseless.

I have a 88 328GTS, named "Alissa"
smile.gif

IMHO, the NSX is easier to drive, handles nicer, and is much faster. For the $ you are looking to spend, you can get a good NA2 NSX (97+) and the car is much faster than the stock 328...HOWEVER:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001457.html

As you can garner from the above, the 328 is also VERY easy to mod. TO make it faster than an NA2 NSX is not that expensive of a proposition (<$2000) the goes with handling and such.

All that said, the NSX is still a more reliable, easier, finer built automobile.

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

The 328 is quite a reliable Ferrari. Probably the most reliable but still do not compare with the average NSX, in terms of reliability. What I think is that by modding it you will give up the few Ferrari reliability it has...

Furthermore the 328 and the NSX are such different cars. One is almost a young oldtimer, it is slower, it has a lot of status, you cannot drive it daily, it has "prestige", it need a lot of attention.
The NSX and the 993 could be daily drivers, need the routine maintenance and only few repairs, are good performers and require a lot less attention than the 328. Maybe you would like to throw the 348 in the comparison instead od the 328?

At a range of "35 - 45k" you probably aren't going to find a 328 that's worth owning. If you pound away at the guys on the Ferrari Market letter you might steal one for near the upper end of that range, but even then I'd ask why bother? The 328 sounds great for sure, and it looks the part to unknowledgeable sportscar n00bs, but other than that it's extremely disappointing behind the wheel in terms of acceleration, handling, and overall driving enjoyment when compared to any 993 or a 3.0L NSX.

I'd recommend a nice late model 348 over a 328 by a massive margin, but you aren't going to find a good 348 for less than 50k, not even in this current era of "bargain" 3-series F-cars.

That leaves the 993 and NSX.

For me the 993 has always been a curiosity, some can't get over its frog-like looks (there is definately a resemblance) or its VW mixed lineage. But when I overlook those two aspects and judge the car for its merits it does well in the role of budget sports car. But again, your price range doesn't allow you to get the 993 model that best competes with a 3.0L NSX, the 993 C4S. The C4S still looks very contemporary (for a 911) and it has a high level of performance and thrills. Problem is I'd doubt you could find a nice one with less than 80k miles for $45k.

Which leaves the car I'd personally choose in your scenario, the 3.0L NSX. There are always plenty of great 3.0L cars for sale, many owned by NSXCA members that have treated them well, in the $35 - $45k price range you selected. At the upper end of that range, you can get a nearly showroom floor condition 3.0L car with less than 25k miles on it if that's important to you. At the lower end of the scale ($30 - 35k) you're more likely to get one that's in good to great shape mechanically, with approximately 45 - 85k miles on it, and possibly has a small degree of non-critical paintwork or surface blemishes present. No biggie.

In terms of sportscar ability, there are few cars on the road for $35k that can match the Le Mans-GT1-like feel of an NSX. What I mean by that are that most new alternatives, like say the Nissan 350z or Mustang Cobra s/c, or Honda's own S2000, have their own strong sales features to be sure, but having an exceptionally low and unobstructed view of the road in front of them isn't one of them. In the NSX it's the closest feeling I've had to the sensory overload that is a sportbike in a passenger car. One of the phrases that comes to mind from an old Car and Driver writer is that driving the NSX is "like being on the tip of an arrow" or words to that effect.

I'd drive as many cars as possible during your search to be sure, but you certainly owe it to yourself to drive an NSX and experience the view. Good luck!

Mako,

Thanks for the well thought out reply.

I have located a number of clean, documented, no stories 328s (M.Y. '86;87) which in todays depressed sportscar market can be had in the mid forties..The real issue is just one of the cars limited overall performance ...Nice car, great sounds, not a lot of economic performance upgrades..Additionally, I am not about to take the car to the track let alone use it as an occasional urban assault vehicle.

The 993 is a great automobile all around. This generation of the 911 represents the best synthesis of engineering, assembly quality, and overall performance that I have ever owned (having owned a number of prior of generations of the car to compare it to)...Looks? it is what it is...My issue with the car was that it was just plain bored me after awhile.

I am intrigued with the potential to further improve on the exceptional engineering of the NSX with the diversity of performance modifications that are, relative to the Porsche or Ferrari, financially reasonable.

The input of the NSX owners on these forums has been invaluable in gaining a quick education on the marque....

BTW, what area are you located in?

Mako is right on w/the 993 C4, however the C2 is within your target. I passed on one w/27k milage @ $47k blk/tan in great shape. The comments about the "Frog" look withstanding I happen to like its raw race line looks especially around the wheel wells unlike the sleeker 996. B/F I purschased the NSX I spent a day in the above mentioned 993. A differing car completely, to sum it up. It came down to overall driver comfort, fit & finish, style and maintenance with the NSX hands down. The 993 had its positive points w/the handling, but I wasn't what wanted after I spent time in the NSX. Make yourself a list of the things that are important to you and compare as you are now before you spend some time behind the wheel of both cars. You will find most of us here are open to discussion and objective. Good luck with your hunt.

Back