Porche Brakes for NSX?

I know Movit sold a Big Red kit at one point.

nsxrewhe.jpg

PoohBEAR said:
I read somewhere that someone had put a porche brake on to an NSX. Anyone doing that?

Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? One of the reasons an NSX slaughters cars with up to almost twice the HP at the track is because of its superior brakes. Simply ugrading the stock brakes with steel lines and high performance pads is more than sufficient.

Porche breaks four...

Hugh said:
Why on Earth would anyone want to do that?

1. Aesthetics... to fill-up the space when going w/ after-market 18/19
2. Weight reduction & improved braking response if F.I./higher-HP NSX
3. Bling-bling... Brembo has become an icon unto itself.

I assume that the Porsche Brembo's are available from a 911, and would end up costing much less than buying new Brembo's for the NSX... hence the interest.

Hugh said:
One of the reasons an NSX slaughters cars with up to almost twice the HP at the track is because of its superior brakes. Simply ugrading the stock brakes with steel lines and high performance pads is more than sufficient.

I'm not so sure of the 'proven' or notable advantage of steel-braided brake lines, well on the NSX atleast... but at $100'ish, it's nothing to lose sleep over! :redface:

However, different brake-fluid, pads w/ more bite, brake-ducting/deflectors, and perhaps even slotted/cross-drilled discs (lightweight, 2-piece "floating") would assumingly enhance performance to a significant degree... if that's what is actually desired! :wink:

Re: Porche breaks four...

Well said.....with that being said, what kind of Porche line brake would be an easy fit?

Osiris_x11 said:
1. Aesthetics... to fill-up the space when going w/ after-market 18/19
2. Weight reduction & improved braking response if F.I./higher-HP NSX
3. Bling-bling... Brembo has become an icon unto itself.

I assume that the Porsche Brembo's are available from a 911, and would end up costing much less than buying new Brembo's for the NSX... hence the interest.

While the OEM Porsche brakes are very nice, I'd recommend just buying a BBK from brembo with 6 piston front/4 piston rear. OR if you have some $$ to burn, go out and purchase the Porsche Ceramic Brake kit:biggrin:

bracket dilemma...

For your reading pleasure, Sir... :biggrin:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37869&highlight=brembo+bracket

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32980&highlight=brembo+porsche

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18793&highlight=brembo+porsche

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5280&highlight=brembo+porsche

Andrie Hartanto & Pork n Beanz have done this, I'd personally contact them.

Another thing to consider is: "even if I can get a pair or two of complete Brembo brakes from a Porsche at a majorly discounted price (ie. salvage/wreck, owner decided to go ceramic, etc'...), the amount of time & labor to fit them possibly may exceed the cost of NSX-specific Brembo BBK from a vendor/supplier." A custom bracket needs to be fabricated to allow fitment of the caliper. If it wasn't for this dilemma, Brembo brakes from the current TL & new RL would be a viable option for NSX owners seeking BBK.

Brembo's suck. In every Best Motoring video every car that they track with Brembos begins to experience severe fade after a couple of laps. Remember the Battle of Motegi video? The reason the Modena and the 996 finished way back in the pack is because they couldn't brake for the turns after a short while.

If you're going to upgrade the brakes the only serious contender should be Stoptech. They're less costly than Brembos as well.

God, I'm opinionated!

Hugh said:
Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? One of the reasons an NSX slaughters cars with up to almost twice the HP at the track is because of its superior brakes. Simply ugrading the stock brakes with steel lines and high performance pads is more than sufficient.

LOL, are you for real? Porsche are well known for their brake superiority, especially in racing. They are the only car manufacturer that run their own street brake caliper on the race track.

Andrie Hartanto said:
LOL, are you for real? Porsche are well known for their brake superiority, especially in racing. They are the only car manufacturer that run their own street brake caliper on the race track.

Do Porsches ever enter races that are not just against other Porsches?

Hugh said:

As you may know NSX-Racer uses 993 tt brakes on his car but it has to be said that he is one of our more serious track rats. I seem to remember some video of him keeping up with an Enzo. Some of the quickest NSX guys at my local track have upgraded their brakes and very little else. So although the OEM brakes are more than adequate for the street, when it comes to serious track and I mean serious track use the brakes tend to be one of the first upgrades along with tires.

Regards,

Patrick

DocL said:
LOL. You can't take Hugh serious. He has Z06 envy! :wink:

Actually I have Ford GT envy. The numbnuts over at Maroone Ford in Delray are still spewing $10K over list.....blah blah blah it's not going to be made anymore after August 2006 and the usual dealer nonsense.

That's when I informed them that 2786 had been built through Feb 2006 and out of those there are still about 900 unsold and in current dealer inventory and that about 1400 more remain to be built. With current monthly sales figures hovering just below 200 units they're being built faster than they can sell them. I gave them my biz card and told them if they decide to get real and discount the car from MSRP then they have permission to call me. :)

PoohBEAR said:
I read somewhere that someone had put a porche brake on to an NSX. Anyone doing that?
I will have a set of 2006 997S calipers on my 91 in a few weeeks, using 330x32 and 330 x 28 rotors. I think they should be great, more swept area than any of the Brembo BBK kits, even more pad than F-50 calipers (which are so thick you can't get them under wheels without spacers).

I will post pics when they are done.:biggrin:

Yes I agree that people often buy bigger brak to fill the "gap" when putting on aftermarket 17/18/19" wheels, and that Brembo is kind of "bling bling" for the brake-world.

I have always LOVED the red Porsche calippers, don't know why :)

When I look at the Brembo prices for NSX front kit and rear kit and E-brake kit, I know that I'm going Porsche when the brakes are going to be upgraded to "fill the gap" :D

I'm no trackrat so for now I'm getting new pads, brakefluid, stainless steel line and ducts :)

Btw anyone know where to buy used/new Porsche brakes? Websites.

titaniumdave said:
I will have a set of 2006 997S calipers on my 91 in a few weeeks, using 330x32 and 330 x 28 rotors. I think they should be great, more swept area than any of the Brembo BBK kits, even more pad than F-50 calipers (which are so thick you can't get them under wheels without spacers).

I will post pics when they are done.:biggrin:

Lucky man :D

Please post pictures and I am curious about the price for these brakes and wheels that you are using :)

Hugh said:
Actually I have Ford GT envy. The numbnuts over at Maroone Ford in Delray are still spewing $10K over list.....blah blah blah it's not going to be made anymore after August 2006 and the usual dealer nonsense.

That's when I informed them that 2786 had been built through Feb 2006 and out of those there are still about 900 unsold and in current dealer inventory and that about 1400 more remain to be built. With current monthly sales figures hovering just below 200 units they're being built faster than they can sell them. I gave them my biz card and told them if they decide to get real and discount the car from MSRP then they have permission to call me. :)

.Well I hope your not very tall, and you don't mind the typical Ford issues.
I drove one at the track, and yes it is very fast, other than that I wouldn't buy one for 100K much less 150K,(unless of course to resell immediately)
NSX stock brakes are not up to serious track use even with pads, lines etc.
I am not a big Porsche fan but the brakes are far better than the NSX for Street and track, and by the way, stock Porsche brakes are all Brembos and they are great.
Racing, who just won the Rolex 24 hr GT race- Porsche, the Daytona Grand am cup- Porsche-
Brembo VS Stoptech- what a joke. there is no comparison, they are not even in the same league

I will be Racing a 996 in the April 22 Grand Am race at VIR, its brakes, stock, are far superior to the NSX's brakes, are far as the rest of the car, it runs strong, but I prefer the NSX chassis

Hugh said:
I toast a pair of rotors every time I go racing in the hills. I have to bleed the brakes there too.
I have stock 91 brakes, the calipers work perfectly, the rotors are true, I have tried Honda rotors and several aftermarket rotors. Tried different pads too. All toast.

I believe the brakes are too small on this car. Makes sense because the wheels are 15” so bigger brakes won’t fit. And back in the early 1990s, 15” wheels were pretty big. So they have a valid excuse. Other cars back then had small brakes too.

Although I have heard that ducting air better to the brakes helps a lot. So the brakes are not THAT bad.

Why don’t trackers toast the brakes and hill racers do? Don’t know. But the Nurburgring is a track and some owners toast the brakes there.
Maybe trackers are not pushing enough! :tongue:

And bigger brakes really really give you a different feel while braking. If the car is on the limit when you brake you can really feel the grip and bring it closer to the limit.

Anyway big brakes look cool too. Bling!

PoohBEAR said:
Would love to see the technical part of it and what it takes to fit it on to the NSX.

TIA
Technical:
One set of 4 997S calipers, folks sell them pretty reasonably when they up-grade to ceramic brakes, got mine with 25 miles on them.:biggrin:

Then:

Custom hats
Custom rotors
Custom brake lines
Custom caliper mount brackets.

Helps to be a machinist...

Any one else interested in this, I can do 2 almost as easy as on set...

Back