Porche 911 vs. NSX

Hello all:

I've been lurking and reading through some of the old threads for the last couple days and just registered today. I've been looking for a "new" car and have looked at and test driven a '95 and a '99 911 and really liked the feel of both cars, though the '99 felt much smoother if not tighter than the '95.

The cost to maintain a 911 worries me a bit, so I started to look at some other options including the 04 Z06 Corvette and now the NSX. I liked the power of the Vette a lot, but it didn't have the same feel as the 911. I've never driven or ridden in an NSX, though I do really like the lines and the look!

My questions are:

1. What should I expect to realistically find in terms of a used NSX in the low 40's?

2. How does the NSX compare to the 911?

3. How does the NSX fare in terms of maintenance cost in general and can most of the repair work be done in a DIY manner, or does it require specialized knowledge or tools?

Thanks,

Bruce

I think first, you should try to nail down exactly which porsche you're interested in. [the 993 & 996 are TOTALLY different]

here's some "non-performance" things to think about:

pluses for the porsche:
it's got a "backseat"
easier to see out the back
you sit more upright, and higher up.
it's not so low to the ground.
you can pretty much park it anywhere and not worry too much
easier to find a good independent mechanic. (esp. if you live in CA)
"go-fast" parts are cheaper & easier to find

minuses:
$$$$ parts + Maintenance
everyone's got one.

but, the NSX on the other hand is:
sexy as HELL.
most people have never even seen one, let alone owned one.
handles better.
much more comfortable cockpit.
it's insanely low to the ground, just go veeeery slow on steep ramps/driveways and all will be ok.
did I mention it's sexy. as. HELL?? :)

just gotta figure out where your priorities are.

Bruce,

I own an NSX and a '95 911 (993 model designation). Here's some random thoughts:

-I agree with Octan3 re how different the '95 and the '99 are. I have also owned a '99 911, and the differences between the two cars are significant. Most Porsche purists prefer the '95 to '98 models as they are the last of the air cooled 911's. Their resale values are far better than on the '99's and up and I believe will continue to be higher for a very long time.

-In my experiences in owning both a '95 now and a '99 a few years ago, the '99 is a far easier car to drive fast, has a better AC system, the radio is better, and it's roomier inside. The '95 gives one the visceral feel of a true Porsche that the '99 fails in, and the '95 is a far better looking car.

-In comparing the 911 to the NSX, a few things:

1) The NSX is far easier to drive fast.
2) The NSX is much nicer looking, and you don't see them everywhere you go.
3) The 911 would make a more normal everyday driver.
4) The NSX will be cheaper to fix, but that said, I've never really had any problems with the many 911's I've owned over the years.

My suggestion: If you are planning on buying a weekend toy, buy the NSX. If you are planning on buying an everyday driver, buy a 911. '99's are real cheap right now and are headed down in a big way (especially now that the new 997 is out). Make sure to try to buy an '00 instead of the '99 due to the first year's problems the 996 had.

Mike O said:
Bruce,

I own an NSX and a '95 911 (993 model designation). Here's some random thoughts:

-I agree with Octan3 re how different the '95 and the '99 are. I have also owned a '99 911, and the differences between the two cars are significant. Most Porsche purists prefer the '95 to '98 models as they are the last of the air cooled 911's. Their resale values are far better than on the '99's and up and I believe will continue to be higher for a very long time.

-In my experiences in owning both a '95 now and a '99 a few years ago, the '99 is a far easier car to drive fast, has a better AC system, the radio is better, and it's roomier inside. The '95 gives one the visceral feel of a true Porsche that the '99 fails in, and the '95 is a far better looking car.

-In comparing the 911 to the NSX, a few things:

1) The NSX is far easier to drive fast.
2) The NSX is much nicer looking, and you don't see them everywhere you go.
3) The 911 would make a more normal everyday driver.
4) The NSX will be cheaper to fix, but that said, I've never really had any problems with the many 911's I've owned over the years.

My suggestion: If you are planning on buying a weekend toy, buy the NSX. If you are planning on buying an everyday driver, buy a 911. '99's are real cheap right now and are headed down in a big way (especially now that the new 997 is out). Make sure to try to buy an '00 instead of the '99 due to the first year's problems the 996 had.

Well said.
Ditto!!!
Also the note Posche Go fast parts maybe more available, but they are not cheaper by any means.
Labor Rate here in St. Louis is about $100+- for both cars.
Like Mike, I have never had a major problem with the many 911's that I have owned.
I would go with a 95-98 For all of the reasons MikeO stated as well as these years being the easier cars to mod.
JAO = .02

I also have experience with the ownership and maintenance of both the NSX and Porsche 993 (1995 Carrera 4 Cabriolet). Both cars are pretty reliable when maintained, but the Porsche has had some very expensive problems.

Mileage: 10,200
Problem: Transmission synchros went out and entire transmission was rebuilt 7 TIMES by the Porsche dealer. There was NO WARRANTY HELP even though the car had low miles and was only two and a half years old. Evidently once it gets to two years Porsche does not care about you any more.

Mileage: 18,000
Problem: Convertible top goes out of alignment and ruins the fabric top, which we have to pay to have replaced to the tune of $4,500. Evidently there is actually a part of the Owner's Manual that says this is 'normal' for the top to go ou of whack and canot really be fixed totally. Nice. $82,000 for a car and the top sucks.

Mileage: 48,000
Problem: Power steering rack breaks. Still in the shop getting fixed.

Now, keep one thing in mind. The Carrera has been very reliable overall since it was purchased back in 1997, and is a really fun car to drive. But when it does break, it really hits the wallet. Of course, to be fair, if you break the NSX expect to pay there as well. Both the Porsche and the NSX are very enjoyable cars, hence the reason they are still around our collection. ;)

I thought of this too, for about a day. I was pricing the early 996's and the price range was right around what I'd expect to pay for a '93-'95 NSX.

Today, I'm shopping for an NSX for much of the same reasons mentioned above.

Although a great car, I feel the 996 is kinda in the "dime-a-dozen" sector. I see them everywhere.

Specially if you are in So. Cal.

I use to live in Rowland Hts Area, every where I turn there is a Porsche, but since I got my NSX back in Feb. I rarely see 2 on the same day except on days of local meetings and events. Which proofs to be more fun than any Porsche event I was invited to (Did not went, but friends that went took off early since it was not much fun).

Go to a few of the you areas local NSX meetings, you will get a much better feel of the NEW friends you will meet and enjoy.
Simons2k said:
I thought of this too, for about a day. I was pricing the early 996's and the price range was right around what I'd expect to pay for a '93-'95 NSX.

Today, I'm shopping for an NSX for much of the same reasons mentioned above.

Although a great car, I feel the 996 is kinda in the "dime-a-dozen" sector. I see them everywhere.

Back