Pop up screens

How can I prevent getting pop up screens every site I go to? Also, how can I prevent junk email? It is getting so frustrating I almost dont want to surf the net anymore. A perfect example of pop up frustration is NSX Modifieds site that is linked in Ilya's topic. Every time I have tried to access it my computer locks up. what gives?

I use "pop up stopper" from panicware. You can find it lots of places. It's nothing fancy but it works well for me. And it's freeware.

The site I have linked is just a crappy Geocities test site that sticks advertisements in. This won't happen when the actual site is up.

Gosh, there are lots of these utilities, some better than others, of course!
First off, it depends on what browser you are using: most of them are going to be written for Internet Explorer. Also, I guess I should at least mention that some browsers are more configurable when it comes to this kind of stuff - Opera is one - but there are trade-offs.
Pop Up Stopper from Panicware is one you could try. For control of other annoyances beyond just popups try Proxomitron.
For help with spam (especially in sending bounce messages to make them think the address is invalid) try MailWasher.
There are tons more of these - try a search on downloads.com or cnet for more.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

ZoneAlarm has pop-up ad controls, so does Norton Internet Firewall Protection, and the Mozilla browser has it built-in (soon to be in Netscape 6).

I use ZoneAlarm but I turned that feature off. I have Mozilla take care of everything.

I use Mozilla (www.mozilla.com) as my browser. Its way faster than IE, and it allows you to configure how scripts run on a page. It gets rid of the annoying pop-up ads.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
ZoneAlarm has pop-up ad controls

Slight correction: ZoneAlarm Pro has this feature, not ZoneAlarm.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I will also put in my vote for pop up stopper. This is a great utility. One item of note on this issue is this. Do not set Pop up stopper to "aggressive settings". If you do this, the program will automatically close any new window you are opening if your current window is not 100% open(no activity). This can be annoying if you are the type to open multiple windows at once.

The most effective way in which you can elimate pop ups is by disabling active scripting. You do this in Internet Explorer. You go to:

Tools->Internet Options->Security->Custom Level(under internet)->scroll down to "Active Scripting" and put a dot in disable.

The above method will eliminate pop ups. However, it has its drawbacks as well. For example, I was not able to get my e-mail from hotmail with active scripting disabled.

I would try pop up stopper first. If you are still getting a lot of pop ups, try disabling active scripting.

[This message has been edited by Edwardo (edited 05 June 2002).]

Back