Poll on rating hand tools, please respond

Hey guys, I am ready to start buying my tool collection and I have no idea how decide what tools to buy. I want to buy something better than Craftsman (even though they are very good tools). How would you guys rate the following tools. Also are they all close in price?

1. Mac
2. Matco
3. SK
4. Facom (I have a few of their tools and love them, hard to get)
5. Snap On

I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me. I just don't know how to decide which company to go with. I reason I like Facom is that I can a lot of their sets in the plastic molded holders. This makes for neat organization. I am going to be buying Lista cabniets.

Thanks

I usually end up buying Craftsman. They're reasonable priced and well made. But hey, if you have the $$$ get a complete set of snap-on. Buying complete sets, you can save money vs buying one at a time.

I have used Craftsman hand tools forever and think they are very high quality. I never had regular access to "trade" tools like Snap On and Mac that the rep's sell so I've had very little use. Craftman warrenty is big plus. I can't tell you how many thin walled sockets I've returned that failed while being used as an impact socket :rolleyes: but they cheerfully replace.

I use mostly craftsman as well, but the Facom stuff is out of this world. It also costs as much as a moon rock:D But if you want really high quality, then head over to Griots or watch eBay a lot.

Thanks guys,
My father has a complete set of Craftsman that I have used for 15 years. However I started to get a few Facom tools and I couldn't believe the difference. I am only a weekend mechanic but I want to invest in a good set of tools. You only have to make the investment once, so I don't mind spending the money. I just haven't had the chance to compare Mac to Matco to SK, etc. I guess it is like why buy an NSX when you could buy a Corvette.

My only problem with Facom is that it is hard to get them. Griots is way too expensive. There is places like toolsource.com and mytoolstore.com that sell Facom tools for a lot cheaper than Griots.

All of these manuf. have great warranties. The ones supplied to the trades are rather expensive and often inconvenient for the home mechanic. Sears stores are open til 9pm on weekdays and you don't have to wait your turn in the rotation to see your salesperson if you break a tool. A definate plus!! And most tool reps. won't visit you on Saturdays and Sundays.
If you are willing to pay the premium for Snap-on, MAC, etc. then by all means you will not find better quality tools. I have known Snap-on dealers to rummage through a tool box and replace tools because the chrome was chiped, something Sears won't do. Many of the Snap-on tools are lighter than the Craftsman equivalent. This is to aid in fatigue reduction for the mechanic.

Craftsman tools IMO are probably the best value for the home mechanic or non-trade applications. If you dress to impress, pay the premium.

I have a Craftsman tool box filled with Craftsman, sk, Snap-on, Taiwan junk, Mac, just about every brand known to mankind. I collected all these from tenants that would leave stuff behind when they would move out.
The tools I like best are the ones at the Acura dealer. I really do not like to work on automobiles. Construction tools is a whole different story. I love to use them and I am picky about which ones I buy.

Back