Please tell me you change your NSX's oil on a regular basis.

I knew Audis had issues with carbon deposits but not sludge. Even for 84k that seems excessive.

I've seen a CRV with 50k oil change "intervals" and even that looked no where near as bad as that Audi's engine.

View attachment 121887You mean that long stick with a handle on it is not for shishcabobs? Who would've knew:rolleyes:
Holy crap that is some sticky bbq'd valves!

Last edited:
I saw that article I don't know how someone couldn't notice the change in the cars performance at some point the car gives up says I don't need oil and keep going till it dies. last stand effort on the car I think.

cool to see what it would look like though

moron

That's crazy. I remember those "sludge" commercials that were on not too long ago and I thought it was just hype. Every 3k for me.

I don't go by miles, hours or seasons. I go by how the oil looks & smells. When my oil starts to change color and get darker, time for new oil. Usually 3-4 track days + sport commutes.
When I do change the oil, we always have it analyzed by a lab. Reduces any future surprises.

I don't go by miles, hours or seasons. I go by how the oil looks & smells. When my oil starts to change color and get darker, time for new oil. Usually 3-4 track days + sport commutes.
When I do change the oil, we always have it analyzed by a lab. Reduces any future surprises.

So what kind of conclusions have you reached through the testing?

Wow! You are the first person I have heard iterate the exact same approach I use, (except for the lab aspect). There are times I may have only gone 1,500 miles however, if the OIL smells "used" or
has a darker appearance, time to change the oil. I'm honestly not sure I have ever gone 3,000 miles prior to changing the oil. :)

Usually, if you get your oil analyzed by a lab (like Blackstone), they'll tell you what kind of oil change interval you can expect from the present condition of your engine, type of oil, etc.

I change mine pretty much by sight as well. But since I never let it go more than a few months, and also change it after any long (4+ hours) drive, it usually comes out of the crank-case like honey. (Color, not viscosity)

I change mine every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. I have a friend that has 309K miles on a bone stock 91 NSX (he is the original owner) uses Pennzoil and changes it every 3000 miles without fail. He gets his valves adjusted every 15k religiously as well. I saw it with the valve covers off, at his last valve adjustment and it is almost as clean as the day he took delivery of the car. He had a compression and leak down test a few months ago and everything is where it should be and the engine still runs quiet. He's wondering if he should get the engine rebuilt but, our local NSX guru said it could easily go another 80 to 100K. The car looks and runs as well or better than a car with less than 40K on the clock. He doesn't get all caught up in the oil hype that many of us do and the only reason he uses Pennzoil is because the only mechanic that's ever worked on it uses it.

My dad, who is a retired mechanic, has always told me to use the oil recommended for your car and never ever go beyond 3500 miles between changes. Plus, do the maintenance on schedule when it's scheduled and your car will run for 300K or more depending how you drive. By using his advice, I've driven each of the last six cars I've owned for well over 300K before I sold them or donated them still running well. This thread is the first time that I've ever heard of sending your oil to a lab for analysis. But, if you track your car regularly, I guess it makes sense due to the stresses track use can produce on an engine.

So what kind of conclusions have you reached through the testing?
If you have your used oil analyzed every time you change it, you will be able to observe any unusual trends and anomalies occurring in your internals such as increased wear/mettle.

I learned this from my father, an MIT trained aerospace engineer/mechanical engineer, US Air Force fighter pilot (P-51/F-86/F-100/F-102/F-106) and life long civilian pilot owner who always did his own maintenance.

Shad/Driving Ambition is also a big advocate of oil analysis. Anyone who tracks their car on a regular basis should have their oil analyzed.

my .02

[MENTION=26776]1K2GO[/MENTION] What oil do you use and what have you been able to observe through your change frequency and driving conditions? Just wondering to get a big picture understanding of "extreme" driving as it relates to oil and oil change frequency for a CTSC NSX.

Motul X-cess 100% Synthetic 5W40

My car/engine has 50Kmi. on the odometer and approx 10Kmi with the CTSC. I don't track or drive the car in hot weather and I strive to keep it off the rev limiter.

I don't have the paperwork with me for exact numbers but as of my last oil change, we have detected minimal 'foreign material' in the used oil. Its a happy motor :biggrin: YMMV

I dare never to change my oil. I prefer to leave my vehicle 100% stock, including never touching the factory fill oil and tires.

Just kidding:)

LOL^^^^ Yeah and I have the original Bridgestones that came on my 02 with 86K miles on them so mine will retain stock status.

Back