please help asap, had a vehical report carried out

Hi,

I am about to make a very long journey to potentially buy my first NSX. Sorry about the ASAP request it's a long drive and we leave very soon.

I have had a inspection report carried out on the car.

There are a couple of things but one thing that slightly concerning is that the report states...

"light oil seepage to lower engine area"

and

"Oil level slightly below half"

Is this anything to worry about?

Less than half is pretty severe, but it really depends where the oil is leaking from and at what rate. "Lower engine area" is pretty vague. Here is something from the wiki:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Engine

Common leak is from the VTEC spool valve gasket. Not saying your leak is from the spool gasket, but something to consider.

When I bought my car, it had a small leak. I didnt know until I parked it in my friend's garage. It was only a few drops, nothing too serious. Luckily, it turned out to be the valve cover gaskets.

Hi,

I am about to make a very long journey to potentially buy my first NSX. Sorry about the ASAP request it's a long drive and we leave very soon.

I have had a inspection report carried out on the car.

There are a couple of things but one thing that slightly concerning is that the report states...

"light oil seepage to lower engine area"

and

"Oil level slightly below half"

Is this anything to worry about?

Slightly below half a quart??? No big deal
As far as the oil leak, it depends on where it originates from.

Good Luck!

Let me ask you this: Are you going to buy this car anyway? Are you asking for help ASAP cause it might prevent you from going out to buy it?

If the answer is yes my first reaction is we don't have enough info from the PPI to help you properly.

IF the answer is you are gonna buy this thing anyway - then a lower engine leak may not be too bad and if it's just a half a quart low that may not be too bad either if we knew the last time it had oil put in or when the oil was changed or some more qualifying info that would help one diagnose the extent of this "lower engine" oil leak - if it's a weeping deal and nothings hitting the floor as in oil - then it's ok - if there are oil spots or a big spot under the car - then it's bad.

Man - I hate to say it but never get so excited about a car that you can't take your time to make sure you are getting the right one. I know - I should have thought about things myself a little longer. Let me tell you -if you have cash for a car - you are the golden child right now. Do not rush into anything that in the slightest makes you feel nervous! I mean that should be the tell tale - if you are unsure and nervous - DON"T GO!

Best advice you can get with these cars and as many as there are out there and will be out there in the future -is be patient!

Man - I hate to say it but never get so excited about a car that you can't take your time to make sure you are getting the right one. I know - I should have thought about things myself a little longer. Let me tell you -if you have cash for a car - you are the golden child right now. Do not rush into anything that in the slightest makes you feel nervous! I mean that should be the tell tale - if you are unsure and nervous - DON"T GO!

Best advice you can get with these cars and as many as there are out there and will be out there in the future -is be patient!

Excellent advice.
Don't get caught up in the moment so badly that it clouds your judgement on making a sound, financial decision. You might end up regretting it later down the road.
One question though. Why do you feel so compelled to purchase this particular car right now?

Thanks for your replies.

The reason for the asap was because the report was being done today and we were heading down there that night if it was a good report.

It's actually a 6 hour journey yikes!! Plus we have light snow so numptys driving quarter speed limit.

I have spoken to the engineer who done the report and said it is only very slight leak coming from the bottom the endlgine around the sump. Just slightly damp.

I have been waiting several months now. So hopefully this is the one :D

thanks again guys.

Do you have to get it tonight/today?
Can't it wait till you get a copy of the report and then make a choice? Are they willing to hold the car for you for 'X' period of time with a deposit? If is it leaking oil, then it sounds like it has been up for sale for some time now and if they want to sell it, I'm sure they would be alright with letting you read the report.
Care to post the VIN ?

I've had the report, it's all uploaded online.

It was £255 uk pounds. It's very detailed and got given the mobile number so I could contact the inspector directly.

I couldn't get hold of him at first hence the post on the forum but after getting on contact he said that it's only a very slight patch on the bottom and that everything has to be stated in the report.

Yeah been waiting for a while now and if right one comes along I need to move quick as there isn't many for sale in the uk.

Oil pan gaskets are known to leak. So thats not a show stopper here. Just change them when you put a set of headers on :smile:.

Oil pan gaskets are known to leak. So thats not a show stopper here. Just change them when you put a set of headers on :smile:.

Good one! That's what happens - you want to make it better or maybe faster or handle better although handling is something it does rather well just OEM.

Back