Please Help !! 97 NSX-T Over Rev in cold weather.

I'm a Newbie owner (less than a month). When in 5th gear at around 3500rpm. the engine seems to rev to 5500rpm while applying throttle, yet doesn't seem to accellerate. It happened at around 20 F., but I thought the engine was warmed enough(15 min. of driving).

Welcome to Prime! That would be the sign of a slipping clutch.:frown:

Do you mean it won't go OVER 5500? I know that if the engine is not warmed up, the rev limit is lower. Also, I seem to remember that there is a fuel boost relay that can cause an inability to go over a certain RPM if it isn't running.

Could be the clutch, too....

5th gear @ 3500 rpms? ... like 130 mph? then it didn't accelerate? but after that did?
I am bit confused ...
Oscar

5th gear @ 3500 rpms? ... like 130 mph? then it didn't accelerate? but after that did?
I am bit confused ...
Oscar

+1

NSX is powerful but at 130 mph, I am not sure you can accelerate very quickly :cool:
However, if the rev goes up quickly at this speed, I think the clutch has a problem.

ON the S2k fuel cuts off after 5K if the engine is not warm, it does sound by you description that you have an slipping clutch ... weird though it's on 5th gear ...
OScar

Here's what I'm reading.

You are driving in fifth gear at about 3000 rpm. You step on the throttle and the rpm goes to 5000+, but the car doesn't accelerate.

That is the clutch slipping because it's worn. It will still shift fine. It will get worse, especially if you keep letting it rev like that.

When my clutch was going, it would do what your clutch is doing in the higher gears. As it got worse it would slip in the lower gears also.

Sulley

Here's what I'm reading.

You are driving in fifth gear at about 3000 rpm. You step on the throttle and the rpm goes to 5000+, but the car doesn't accelerate.

That is the clutch slipping because it's worn. It will still shift fine. It will get worse, especially if you keep letting it rev like that.

When my clutch was going, it would do what your clutch is doing in the higher gears. As it got worse it would slip in the lower gears also.

Sulley

+1

Allow the car to warm up to normal driving temperature while its parked.
Drive the car; while in 5th gear, notice RPM, accelerate while staying in 5th and looking at RPM. If the RPM jumped and speedo or car does not, then the clutch is slipping. Like Sulley said, when the clutch starts to go, it slowly slips in higher gears. Eventually, if car continues to be driven with out replacing clutch, car will have very hard time accelerating/switching gears.

I drive my car 500 miles and clutch went so bad, that I had to push the car into my car trailer and trailer it to the shop.

Thank You All,

I'm convinced it's the clutch. Time to dip into the kid's college fund.

I recommend aftermarket clutch. I had comteck super grip (not sure exact model) installed 2 years ago and I love it.

That is good news for your NSX but bad news on your pocketbook. :frown:Those are the biggest ticket items on the NSX maintenence schedule. Well at least you found a good tech to take care of it.

Back