Play Station 2 for dummies??

I have never been into video games.

I went to my friend's house yesterday and played Granturismo3. I loved it, and now I want one! Is this a good time to buy one or should I wait??

I have no clue what's out there. All I know is that I am only interested in granturismo3 and other similar video games (if there are any).
I wonder when I will have time to play video games, though (since I work 80+ hours
frown.gif
).

Is there a good play station forums like this?

Oh, also, what and where do I have to buy? Is there a different version??
Do I just go into Best Buy and pick one up?? I have never bought any video games before.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Well you can kiss your job(s) goodbye.

The games are HIGHLY addictive.
You will want to get the extra memory chip, a second controller, and if you do not have a dvd player, you will have with the playstation. There is a remote control available to make playing dvd's better.

Not to mention all the driving accessories like wheel and peddle sets. Pretty realistic. And you get to drive the NSX modified to your specs on some incredible race courses.

enjoy.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited 23 February 2003).]

There used to be a box set combo, that included Gran Turismo 3 with a new Playstation 2 - trying to track one of those down would probably be your best bet. I would pass on the second controller, at least until you have more time; I know when I was working high hours there weren't a lot of folks around to play with me. =)

Nothing special to get, other than that, if you can't find the box set just get a PS2 from Best Buy, it'll come with a controller, pick up a memory card and GT3 - GT3 might even be a "classic" now, if so, it only costs $19.99. =)

I think GT3 would be all you need for now. Once you play GT3, no other racing games really compare to the realism and replay value.

I managed to get 85% completion through the course of over a year but I don't play games as much. A buddy of mines got over 95% in one summer!

Originally posted by snapper:
Well you can kiss your job(s) goodbye.

The games are HIGHLY addictive.
You will want to get the extra memory chip, a second controller, and if you do not have a dvd player, you will have with the playstation. There is a remote control available to make playing dvd's better.

Not to mention all the driving accessories like wheel and peddle sets. Pretty realistic. And you get to drive the NSX modified to your specs on some incredible race courses.

enjoy.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited 23 February 2003).]

SO TURE. I am an addict in the biggest way. Maybe even more so than the NSX. If you do get a PS2 be sure to get GTA3, you will love it.

Thanks, guys!! Perhaps, I will pick up the steering wheel controler as well!

Just chaulk Timeless740 as just another lost soul that will be turned to the dark side that is known as video game junkie.
tongue.gif

Anyways, burbel is right. GT3 is considered a "PS2" Classic game, so it is only $19.99. I don't believe you can find that PS2/GT3 bundle anymore. That was almost two years ago. Pricing on the PS2 is almost consistent no matter where you go: $199.99. Unlike the GameCube, the PS2 is selling well. I'm not seeing many, if any at all, bundle sets that include free games, memory cards, and/or controllers. One place that might have some sort of bundle is "Costco".

For GT3, you WILL need a memory card to fully enjoy the game, but you don't immediately need the second controller. And if you've got a good TV (especially a 16:9 screen), you might consider upgrading the A/V cables.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey ..........SOLD!!!
1992 SC400
2003 Chevy Suburban LT

Although I'm not into gaming (yet), I've browsed the bundled packages at Sam's Club and Costco. You might want to check there first, they seem to have decent prices and come with everything you need. I briefly played GT3 at the display model at Sam's and wasn't immediately hooked; I guess it takes time to learn the controls and become addicted.
smile.gif

If you don't mind used, you can probably pick up a cheap one on eBay or your local gaming store. My brother just got the new Robotech game for his Xbox, and it looks interesting.

I hope you don't spend all your time on the PS2 and neglect your family (or Prime
biggrin.gif
). That's why I haven't gotten a game console yet.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 23 February 2003).]

haha you can play the Japanese version of it along with the Grand Turisimo Concept Tokyo in my house with is not that far away from you after work. hehe

mine is the Japanese version of Playstation, I got it when I used to live in Japan. I never buy the US version because most of the games are like JUNK ( pacman, starwar racing you name it ) No offense

[This message has been edited by BostonNSX (edited 23 February 2003).]

Hey Gamers, yeah we got some gamers, hey tiger how old are you. I know that most 8-30 year olds have played videogames once in their lifetime. It seems like you never had videogames at the time you grew up or it could of been that you just never had time oh well. It is fun like I am a junkie kind of but I still do my work.

Who ever said they work 80+ hours man I feel bad for you buddy. That is a little too much for one week. My dad works 52 hours a week and that is basically his whole day. I feel bad for your kids they don't get to spend as much quality time with you huh. If you have kids though.
wink.gif

Hey I did the Doubly Digital race with the NSX. It is quite tuff since the other racers are basically close to the NSX's specs. All you realy have to do is put on sport or racing tires and the nsx will just outhandle all of them. With the Stock tires it just doesn't have that good of a grip on the road.

Tiger740,
Consider buying the Logitech wheel specially designed for Gran Turismo 3. It makes it even more fun to play...force feedback, paddle-shifters and all. Only thing is that it doesn't fully rotate.

Many people think that we game developers get to play games all day long...I wish that were true!

I'm still far from completing GT3...somewhere between 60% and 70%...and I've got no time for games right now.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black), '03 Honda Pilot EX-L (silver/gray), '97 Honda Civic HX (but not for long)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Recommendation - if you get the steering wheel, keep the receipt handy and be careful with it - it's not a controller for everyone. I bought the wheel, but, after using it for around 45 minutes, put it back in the box and promptly returned it - for me, it ruined the feel of the game, and didn't come close enough to a true steering wheel and pedals, IMO, for me to use. Maybe with the racing seat with mounting points for the controller, but that's something I would have to try before I buy. =)

Oh, and if you *do* happen to get a second game, if you haven't seen a Final Fantasy game before, I might recommend picking up Final Fantasy X. While you might not get more than a couple of hours into it (it does take a lot of time to finish) the video clips and the interaction IMO show just how far console games have come from the day of Super Mario Bros. 8)

How do you rate Sega GT2002 on the XBOX against GT3 on the PS2? I have both and I am still debating which one I like more... to me SegaGT2002 looks better graphically and is nearly equal in game play and controls.

I guess this may be getting really off topic, but I intend to play "only" racing games. Does xbox has more racing games than PS2? Will the granturismo 4 be available in xbox as well?

BTW, my wife offered to buy me a video game!

Thanks guys~

The PS2 will, IMO, always have more and better racing games than the Xbox. I have Sega GT 2002, and to me I prefer the older Sega GT for Dreamcast - the cars just don't feel balanced, and the tracks get repetitive quickly. That, and I am not a big Ford fan.
biggrin.gif

Also, Sony owns a large portion of Polyphony, I think, which would pretty much preclude a move to Xbox for GT3/4/xxx.

I also ONLY play driving-games!
biggrin.gif
What to say... on the PS2 I only play GT3 and Gran Theft Auto. On the XBOX I play all games driving that are availabe on both machines (since on the XBOX they look better, load faster and are "liquid" with that extreme hig frame rate) and SegaGT2002, Project Gotham and Rallysport. And all this from a not-Micro$oft fan...

My girlfriend is a HUGE fan of a Akira3D (ok, he is not involved in this, am I wrong?) production. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex!
biggrin.gif

And on the XBOX it looks a lot better (Crash has "real" fur and it is much better animated).
Said this, if it was not for GT3, the PS3 would be on-sale! Sorry for the off-topic about my feeling on XBOX vs PS2.

Am I the only one here who didn't think Sega GT 2002 looked anywhere near as good as GT3?

Also, Sony owns a large portion of Polyphony, I think, which would pretty much preclude a move to Xbox for GT3/4/xxx.

Polyphony Digital is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment...so they definitely wouldn't be working on an X-Box version of their game.

I also ONLY play driving-games!
biggrin.gif
What to say... on the PS2 I only play GT3 and Gran Theft Auto.

Funny that you consider Grand Theft Auto a driving game...it's so much more than that.

My girlfriend is a HUGE fan of a Akira3D (ok, he is not involved in this, am I wrong?) production. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex!

Naughty Dog was NOT involved in the production of Wrath of Cortex. I worked with the Dogs on Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, CTR (Crash Team Racing), and Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

Sorry for the off-topic about my feeling on XBOX vs PS2.

I don't own an X-Box and haven't seen any reason to buy one.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 26 February 2003).]

Akira3D, I said I only play driving games and playing GTA doesn't break my rule not? Even if it is a lot more than that...
wink.gif

(not playing GTA would be crazy, it is such a good game!)

Did you sell Crash's rights for the last production? Anyway, don't you agree that Wrath of Cortex looks a lot better on the XBOX?

Back