Plasti Dip Wheels - Anthracite Gray

I have wanted gunmetal or dark wheels for a long time, so I decided to Plasti Dip the wheels on my NSX. Bought a wheel kit from Dipyourcar.com. In spite of their preferred way of spraying the wheels while on the car, I removed mine. Most of all I didn't want the lug nuts coated. I also believed it would be easier to hit all the surfaces of the wheels. My wheels (OZ Ultraleggera) have twelve blades, and the blades are thin and a bit deep. New color is anthracite gray.

Before:

Old wheel on car:

Detail one wheel in process. I put nickels in the lug nut holes. Piece of bike tube on the valve stem.

All of 'em:

Front wheel mounted:

Whole car:

I did not do the inner barrels. I just didn't see the need. It seems most people do NOT do the inner barrels. Note that on these wheels the inner barrels did not have the "bright aluminum" original paint anyway.

The guys at Dip Your Car say it washes very well. The surface is a bit grippy, so I think any brushes used should be soft - nothing stiff. I will probably wash the next weekend.

curious as to how you'd clean these during a car wash

I plastidipd' the wheels on my dd Accord a few months back. I wash like normal and they've also been pressure washed numerous times, and it's holding up fine.

Looks nice, did you use a metalizer or a pearlizer?

Looks nice, did you use a metalizer or a pearlizer?

Nope. Anthracite is claimed to be a metallic color, but it is not apparent from any distance. It finishes rather matte. As I have had it for a week+ now, I am very happy with the look. I think if I ever did it again I would be better able to avoid an orange peel texture. Plasti Dip does not run easily so you can spray relatively heavy.

Looks great! In the event you should get tired of the new color, how hard is this process to reverse?

Just peel it off, one of the great things about plastidip.

What size OZ's are those, i dont know if it's the dark colour or the ride height i have the superleggaras's in 17/18 and they look bigger? just trying to figure out what mine might look like if i did this.
they go this colour anyway whenever i jump on the brakes

Looks great! In the event you should get tired of the new color, how hard is this process to reverse?

video of peeling Plastidip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0r7xvBSqhOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

video of peeling Plastidip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0r7xvBSqhOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thanks. All I kept thinking during the whole video was how he was going to remove the plastidip from the Audi symbol on the trunk and they never showed it. Looks like the key is getting enough layers on to make it easier to peel off later.

The thicker the plastidip, the easier it is to pull off. If its really thin it wont peel, and you almost have to rub it off. That is a pain in the arse.

What size OZ's are those, i dont know if it's the dark colour or the ride height i have the superleggaras's in 17/18 and they look bigger? just trying to figure out what mine might look like if i did this.
they go this colour anyway whenever i jump on the brakes

Those are 17/18s....... I would not be surprised that bright silver wheels might look bigger just because they are more visible compared to the tire.

It's kinda funny - my wife and kids all like the look a lot. Though my wife didn't say anything because she wasn't sure if she was imagining a color change. And she just didn't think I bought new wheels without telling her!

After reading this thread, I decided yesterday to peel my "charcoal" plastidip and ordered the "anthracite"... thanks! lol

These look absolutely great. Even though my car is for sale I am looking at the Antique Gold for my Brooklands Green/Tan. It's the color I wanted from the day I bought the car.

These look absolutely great. Even though my car is for sale I am looking at the Antique Gold for my Brooklands Green/Tan. It's the color I wanted from the day I bought the car.

I think that would look really good on green.

I did my son's Fit wheels with bright green about 2 months ago and we peeled it all off last night to have them powdercoated antifreeze green.
This stuff is handy because you can try some different colors and designs and peel it off.
I also did my NSX's beat-up Wings West front spoiler in a faux carbon fiber.
It easily passes the 10' test and when I'm tired of it or ready to re-finish I'll peel it off too.

Back