• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PISTONS/BLOCKS

Looking to follow the lines of MotorMouth93/Honcho/Mac Attack/Track Addict/Stuntman/Doc and others for my higher CR NA build. Thank you all. Purchased a couple of bad 3.2’s thru the years to upgrade my 92, one with a badly broken block(that I trashed) and one I still have with badly spun mains/badly damaged crank thrust surfaces. I understand this block could possibly be saved with the chevy small block mains/machining thicker thrust shims, but I’m not thrilled about that route, so when I got the chance to purchase a new 3.2 block at cost I jumped at it. While I could likely put my two sets of slightly used OE pistons in this block and save a BUNCH of money, of course I HAVE to get the CR up to 11.25 to 11.5. When Honda did the CFR thing, like so many likely thought, why CFR? Why not Nikosil at least? But we all know Honda can be a bit “thrifty” at times he-he. So my question is - what is the actual problem with having say JE pistons make me custom pistons a thou or so big and then hone? Are the CFR bores that bad? I do understand piston “slap” and that is not something a want to tolerate as I do take many short “sorties”. So If the CFR thing is bad please just hit me with it. I’ll have an adult beverage and move on to the sleeving train, just have to go thru the thought process. I see that Darton that does all kinds of Honda sleeving, but not the C32(?) Has block integrity been an issue? I understand that any mods we do involve some risks and since my car is a “toy” I will accept a lot of risk if needed. Certainly just about all of these “smallish” engines require sleeves that happily accomodate multiples of HP increases, just want to know what I’m getting into. Sleeve installer recommendation’s/cautions appreciated. Growing up in the home town of JEG’s drag folks, there were several excellent trusted machine shops. They are all gone. Since I “have” to do my own engine builds, I don’t feel like I can call Shad H for advice and I know many of you have been thru this. Thanks!

Back