Pics of my hood makeover

When I bought my NSX last September, I had mixed feelings about the CF hood. Like a wine you're not sure about after sampling, the more I looked at it, the more "slapped-on" it appeared. In addition to the hood, one prior owner added the body kit (lip, skirts, spoiler, 02 style valance, diffuser) and changed the color from black to Rio Yellow Pearl.

After discovering Prime and browsing hundreds of photos, I knew I wanted to change the hood color scheme one day- later when I saved up some money. I already spent a small fortune for a "Sunday" car. I needed to wait. Yea, right. Got bit big time by the upgrade bug like so many of you out there. So, I couldn't wait any longer. I decided upon a slightly different approach others took with their vented hood makeovers. What do you think?

Here's one 'before' photo and a few quick-and-dirty after photos I took today from having taken my car to work.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

saw it in person this weekend. noticed the way it was painted and thought to my self that I haven't seen that done yet. looks good and paint match was perfect. two thumbs up:biggrin:

saw it in person this weekend. noticed the way it was painted and thought to my self that I haven't seen that done yet. looks good and paint match was perfect. two thumbs up:biggrin:

Thanks Moses. The paint mastery was accomplished by Mike at MV Designz, Santa Ana. Mike did Graeme's car, too.

Wow! The car looks awesome! Nice job Steve. I love the exposed CF look!:wink:

Wow! The car looks awesome! Nice job Steve. I love the exposed CF look!:wink:

Hey Henry my man. Long time, no see. Thanks. So, when are you going to get into some NSX action? I met Moses at the Chino Hills combined car meet this past Sunday. We had a 15 car turnout to "fly" the NSX flag along with the Supras, 305Zs, Lexus', Corvettes, Mazdas, and other sports cars. Great fun!

I like it, big improvement!

Thanks Randy. I feel those (most) who painted up to the lip opening of their CF type-R style hood does create a cleaner look. I saw one and only one NSX, a red one of an owner in Sweden I recall, who did his as I did mine after I decided upon this approach. Ahh to be different.

I bought this great car to have fun with it, not as an investment. So, the list of things on my mod 'wish list' will continue.

ChoppsJazz, the painted area of my CF hood is clean with no traces of the CF showing through. I picked a paint shop that I knew did good work. The tri-color paint schemes are very difficult to match. If you can see residual CF showing through, I can only conclude your painter did not prep the surface properly.

Looks great and yes to the "slapped-on" appearance in the first photo.
I still question the long term affect of UV on the Carbon Fibre finish. Many claim it to yellow or even flake if left in the sun for any length of time. Porsche Carrera owners said their panels yellowed even in places the sun didnt hit.
The new ZR1 CF hood claims to have UV proof clearcoat. But at like $1000/gallon !

I like it! Very classy, actually.

Well first let me say your AFTER is a 100% improvement! I think few cars can pull of a complete CF hood ~ the s2000 being the only car that can do it mainly because of the wide front fenders to give it the illusion part of the hood is painted.

I like your AFTER pics - the exposed CF along with the rear CF spoiler match up nicely! I would get a CF hood and paint it like yours but I have no place to keep my stock hood...haha

On a side note - maybe it's the angle of the photos but your wheels look a bit too mild on the offset or perhaps you need more of a drop but the stance does not look too aggressive.....

Hood looks great. Having seeing your car in person via previous owner. Your car has too much yellow. Especially the door triangle piece and handle should be black, just my opinion.

Danny

Hood looks great. Having seeing your car in person via previous owner. Your car has too much yellow. Especially the door triangle piece and handle should be black, just my opinion.

Danny

The door parts were painted yellow by the owner who changed the color. He also painted the rear valance portion that is usually left blacked out. That is not what I would have done either, but I will just live with it as is.

One day, I'd like to own two NSXs. One will be a street legal track car done Super GT style, you know, big wing with graphics, numbers, etc. The other will be my "show" car. My show or Sunday car would begin by buying one with minimal mods so I can do it all my way, just like the Frank Sinatra song.

One day, I'd like to own two NSXs. One will be a street legal track car done Super GT style, you know, big wing with graphics, numbers, etc. The other will be my "show" car. My show or Sunday car would begin by buying one with minimal mods so I can do it all my way, just like the Frank Sinatra song.

Very nice.........this would be my dream as well.

Back