PHOTO - methanol injection.

Where can i find photos of methanol injection on nsx in particular where to install the nozzle and mount the pump?

I remember seeing a photo of a methanol injection nozzle on a turbo nsx but cant seem to find it for the last 30 minutes.

TIA

I have my pump in the trunk with the tank, and the nozzle is located at my aftercooler just before the throttle body.

I built a stainless steel tank and mounted it with the pump in the engine bay where the air box was originally located. I mounted my nozzle about 7 inches before the throttle body to give the methanol enough time to fully evaporate and cool the charge before hitting my air intake temp probe.
My main computer with my pics is down so I can't send photos at this time.

Last edited:
Last edited:
CIMG4221.jpg

Here's a photo of my methanol tank. I built out of stainless steel and painted wrinkle black. The pump is mounted to the bottom of the tank. I like this location because it's very close to the point of use and keeps the hoses short and keeps the trunk space for other things. (I put my intercooler water tank and pump in the trunk.)

Nice setup! Wish I had space there. :)

View attachment 63054
Here's a photo of my methanol tank. I built out of stainless steel and painted wrinkle black. The pump is mounted to the bottom of the tank. I like this location because it's very close to the point of use and keeps the hoses short and keeps the trunk space for other things. (I put my intercooler water tank and pump in the trunk.)

We offer our trunk mounting board. Very tidy and no holes in the car to drill.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...eed/ProFormance_Audiophile/trunk_mount_panel/

I see you have the AEM system. We've installed that one as well asthe Snow Performance kits on this board:
installedmeth_800.jpg

Cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:
View attachment 63054

Very clean setup! nice work.

woody if you do a search under my old posts i have some pics of my setup showing my injection nozzle, as well as my pump and resorvoir.

I would like to add that the pump should always be mounted so that it will be gravity fed.

how do you know how much methanol to inject in a motor?

does it feed into the intake inlet before the throttle body? i have a ctsc

Regarding flow rate.....my tuner adjusted the flow rate of the methanol injection. My FJO system uses a mini microprocessor and ties in with the AEM.
I think we are activating around 2 PSI with a 20% duty cycle and increasing with boost and RPM. During tuning, it was apparent that the engine wasn't happy with too much flow. I am running 33% methanol and 67% distilled water. The injection nozzle should be far enough up stream of the intake air temp sensor to allow the mist to fully evaporate so that your air intake temp sensor sees accurate temps going into the engine.

You should have some kind of fail save system that senses if there is a pressure failure so that your ECU can modify the tuning (i.e. reduce timing) in the event of a loss of methanol pressure. This is assuming that you take advantage of running more timing with the methanol injection.

I would like to add that the pump should always be mounted so that it will be gravity fed.

What do you mean by this? The pump must be lower than the tank or vice versa?

The pump does not necessarily need to be lower than the tank although that is ideal. It is important to have the pick up in the bottom of the tank and it's good to have a low level sensor higher than the pick up.

Here's a photo of my tank's pick up and low level switch (white plastic part). The stainless steel tube is actually an air vent that exits the bottom of the tank but leads to the top of the tank to allow air to replace liquid being used.

Attachments

• CIMG0360.JPG
    CIMG0360.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 170
  • nsx_189.jpg
    nsx_189.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
While mounting the pump above the fluid level will work (sort of) it will cause problems and shoud be avoided. In short DO NOT do it.

Back