passport to canada

I've crossed to the US with my birth certificate and drivers license. Ususally I take my passport just in case.

I'm canadian citizen, and I think I've always needed my passport to go through custom at the airport, so, I would assume same goes for you coming to canada.

I have no idea how it was like pre 9/11.

Re: passport to Canada

NO you don't need a passport to enter Canada if you are coming from the US, if you fly in from another country then you do.
Bring a drivers lic, and another photo id, or birth certificate.

Before 9/11 you could get away with being passed out drunk in the car and the border guard would just let you in.
Now they actually wake you up. :smile:

Before 9/11 you could get away with being passed out drunk in the car and the border guard would just let you in.
Now they actually wake you up. :smile:[/QUOTE]

Brian you would'nt happen to have first hand experience of this would you. :rolleyes:

nsxtasy said:
That depends on whether you are a U.S. citizen or not.

I am a US citizen and drive across the border everyday, my wife is a Canadian citizen and drives across with me. We never use a passport when crossing into either country.

nsxtasy said:
Again, you can find complete information on the Canada Tourism Commission website.

I think we got the link the first time.......... :rolleyes:

There are those people who read things and think they know, then there are those people who get out there and do it.
Who would you take advice from?

NSX2NV said:
Brian you would'nt happen to have first hand experience of this would you. :rolleyes:

Nahhh.....not me! :biggrin:

A couple of years ago a few of us went to the US to go bar hopping, we came back smashed and I passed out in the back seat of the mini van.
The border guard opened the door and tried to wake me up, that was a mistake as I woke up and puked all over his shoes.

They tried a few years ago to give the US border guards the right to pull people over for being drunk or intoxicated. The Canadian government complained and said it would hurt there tourism.

HaHaHa Brian you clown, you gotta stay off the tequila. What'd the border gaurd do when you puked on his shoes? He must've been pi**ed

If you are a legal resident of the US, you don't need a pasport either. My friend is a Jamaican citizen and has a Green Card. He dated his wife for 2 1/2 years before they got married -- she is Canadian and lived in Ontario while he lived in NY. He went back and forth all the time -- I went with him a few times. They would just ask him for his Green Card just the same way they would ask me for my drivers license.

Just as a side note, if you EVER had any warrent for your arrest, you probably need to get additional paperwork to pass the boarder.
I visit Vancouver, BC frequently. I recall last year during Christmas, a father was travelling to Vancouver with his family for the holidays... his wife and 2 kids got through, but the computer came up that he had a warrent for his arrest back in 1982 for outstanding traffic ticket (he probably forgot to show up in court at the exact date) but the ticket was cleared (meaning he did pay his fine, or had it taken off his record...etc) But still, there WAS a record, so he couldn't enter Canada... he had to take the next flight out of Vancouver the next morning back to DC...
I am not sure if that's during code orange alert or not... but I felt really bad for that dude.

NSX2NV said:
HaHaHa Brian you clown, you gotta stay off the tequila. What'd the border gaurd do when you puked on his shoes? He must've been pi**ed

It wasn't the Tequila as I don't drink the hard stuff, it was a 24 in less than 6 hours.
He was a little upset from what I recall we did get pulled over into secondary inspection and I puked there as well.
The other guard saw that and told us to go home, but they did send me a bill for his dry cleaning.

nsxtasy said:
That depends on whether you are a U.S. citizen or not.
prova4re said:
I am a US citizen and drive across the border everyday, my wife is a Canadian citizen and drives across with me. We never use a passport when crossing into either country.
Obviously, my comment was not intended to be misconstrued to apply to Canadian citizens. :rolleyes:

prova4re said:
There are those people who read things and think they know, then there are those people who get out there and do it.
Who would you take advice from?
I would take advice from an official website of the government over that of an individual on the Internet.

Keep in mind that various documents may be required, but the border guards may or may not check for them for any individual(s) at a border crossing, due to workload, whether the individual(s) fit a certain profile, etc. You might consistently get asked for all the required documents if you have a dark beard and wear a turban or a kaffiyeh but not if you're clean shaven and wear a baseball cap, for example.

Eric5273 said:
If you are a legal resident of the US, you don't need a pasport either.
That's covered in the official website, too.

This is what i copied and pasted from Canadian Tourism Commision

Visitor Requirements: U.S. Residents
Although a passport is the ideal identification, you do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada. Just make sure you carry identification to establish your citizenship such as a Birth Certificate and least one ID card with photo. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you should carry this certificate. Permanent residents of the U.S.A. must bring their "Green Card".

Although it is rare, immigration officials may prevent the entry of visitors:

who appear to pose a health risk.
those they doubt will be able to support themselves and their dependents in Canada.
whose willingness and means to return to the U.S. is in doubt.
As well, those admissible to Canada must not have a criminal record. This includes any convictions for driving while intoxicated.

If you have questions about your admissibility to enter Canada, contact your nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for consultation.

here is the link for more info..
http://www.travelcanada.ca/tc_redesign/app/en/us/travelArticle.do?catId=51

Back