Passenger Seat Won't Slide

I need to remove my passenger seat but the seat won't move forward to allow me to get to the rear seat bolts. I've checked the fuses. The back adjustment works. I would like to know if anyone has run into similar problems and how they were able to either move the seat forward if the motor stops working or is it possible to remove the seat even if it is in the rear-most position? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have checked other threads but the final solutions were never posted.

Perhaps a very dumb question, but did you check if the connector under the seat is correctly attached to the seat motor?

Perhaps something slid under the seat, causing the connector to disconnect.

There are no dumb questions, but yes I have checked the connector. I haven't checked the switch to see if it may be the problem. Where the seat is presently I'm not sure I'd be able to get anything down the side to unscrew the housing. I may have to enlist some help to push on the switch at the same time checking to see if power is going to the motor.

The connector is probably your problem. While holding the switch closed in any direction, briskly massage the connector with the other hand. The wire joiners inside the connector are lousy and small (IMO). Try to move the connector, while connected, out and in and side to side while holding the switch. This should allow contact to be made. The switches are interchangeable for testing purposes. Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

I had a seat motor go out in the far back position, and needed to remove the seat to clean up some debris left by a friendly rodent over the winter. Can't describe the joy when I discovered the invasion and then the seat not working within 10 seconds of each other!

Anyway, there is a cable and casing (like an old speedo cable) between the motor side and the other side. If you remove the cable, you can use a square screwdriver bit on each side to crawl each side forward a few turns at a time. It should be easy enough to do by hand. I also did some of it carefully with the cable insert and a hand crank drill. Since it will bind if you move one side too much, just do a little on one side, then a little on the other. It's a pain, but I did get my seat forward enough to remove it and clean up the invader's pile of debris. The left over smell - well that's another story. There are probably better suggestions, but it worked for me.

Thanks. I tried the massaging the connector while pushing the button but I haven't had any luck. Maybe my technique needs work. I think I saw the cable you're talking about when i was looking for the connector. It has knurled knobs at each end?

ok here is better instructions on this massaging

there are 2 buttons, one for Lumbar, and the other for forward and rear motion.

which ever switch is not working, you can press up, or press down to reach the desired effect.

while pressing the broken button in any direction, press the button down twords earth.

what you tring to do it if there is corrosion in the switch, by pressing it down while pressing it in the direction you want to go you will be scrapping the corrosion off the connectors.

so the switch can normally move in a horizontal direction, so what your gonna do is physically press the button down while pressing it in any direction.

so press down+direction on the switch rapidly

will help jiggle the corrosion off the connectors

hope this helps,

which ever switch is not working, you can press up, or press down to reach the desired effect.

while pressing the broken button in any direction,
press the button down twords earth.

what you tring to do it if there is corrosion in the switch, by pressing it down while pressing it in the direction you want to go you will be scrapping the corrosion off the connectors.

You may want to only press it in the desired direction. It would be a shame to move the seat farther back!

Yes, there is a knurled knob on each end. The screwdriver (the kind with the pop in ends) bit I was talking about is a square end one that is close to the same size as the internal cable. The seat just moves on two threaded rods, and if you turn the part where the cable connect on each side, it turns the rods, and manually moves the seat. Unfortunately the threads are pretty fine on the rods so it takes a while.

Mine has done this exact same thing...twice, but when it was moved all the way forward.

Repair was simple....just remove the four bolts that hold the seat in. Take the seat out of the car. Be careful not to scratch your car with all of the sharp points of the seat and rail.

Make sure the seat is sitting at the same point on the seat rail on BOTH sides. Sometimes it moves forward or backward more on one side and then binds up.

Turns out the carpet on mine wasn't trimmed real well on one side of the side and this allowed one side of the rail to move quicker than the other; thus jam.

Try taking the seat out...you will see what I mean. Put a little grease on the rail while you are at it to make the motor last longer.

QUOTE=sportmarc;1329493]Yes, there is a knurled knob on each end. The screwdriver (the kind with the pop in ends) bit I was talking about is a square end one that is close to the same size as the internal cable. The seat just moves on two threaded rods, and if you turn the part where the cable connect on each side, it turns the rods, and manually moves the seat. Unfortunately the threads are pretty fine on the rods so it takes a while.[/QUOTE]

Try taking the seat out...you will see what I mean. Put a little grease on the rail while you are at it to make the motor last longer.

That's his problem, he can't take the seat out.

From the OP:

I need to remove my passenger seat but the seat won't move forward to allow me to get to the rear seat bolts.

Stupid me....I read that and it didn't register!

Okay...I couldn't get mine out either since it was jammed and the motor wasn't strong enough. What I did was push the seat button in the direction I wanted th seat to go and manually pushed the seat forward. It will slide with some muscle. Then, once I got it forward enough to remove the back bolts, I pushed it backwards and removed the rear bolt.

Thanks for catching that Chops!

That's his problem, he can't take the seat out.

From the OP:

I tried massaging the switch but I didn't have any luck getting the seat to move. Since I don't hear the motor trying to move the seat I'm thinking I'll have to take the interconnecting cable out that goes to each side and manually screw the seat forward.
Out of curiosity has anyone removed the covers from the front ends of the rails?

Just a bolt under each that holds the seat into the belly of the vehicle.

I tried massaging the switch but I didn't have any luck getting the seat to move. Since I don't hear the motor trying to move the seat I'm thinking I'll have to take the interconnecting cable out that goes to each side and manually screw the seat forward.
Out of curiosity has anyone removed the covers from the front ends of the rails?

Well I finally had some time this weekend to work on my seats. The playing with the switch and the connectors didn't work so I removed the cable connecting the 2 rails together. Using a #2 Robertson screw driver i was able to get the seat moved forward so i could get the seat bolts. To simplify things I would recommend using a driver end that you would insert into a drill and just use your fingers to twist it. This way it's easier to also judge when you've moved one side to the point where it is jamming.
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions.

Back