Passenger footwell light / Interior light fade-out (1996, Targa)

Post-search questions:
1. My car came in with a module hanging with zip ties right under the glove box. My question is - since the driver's side foot well has a nice little light down there, does the passenger side also has one and mine is just missing?

2. on a related topic -my driver's foot well light has this nice dimmer / delayed-fade-out while the interior lights of the car just turn off when the doors are shut. did anyone tried to add a delayed fade to the main cabin lights?

* bonus question - any other Honda/Acura models we can borrow interior lights from? Legend? Odyssey? Civic? i really like that modern "Fade out"

Last edited:
if i remember correctly, the zip tied passenger module is for the factory alarm.
that's how mine was when i added the oem alarm

The module that hangs with zip ties is a big aluminum piece with a strange text "sporty mindset for life" or something, kind of looks like a DME, but it is not.
I shoved it somewhere and its ok.

So no lights for the passenger foot well?

You did not specify the model year which is always important. As a TLA DME has multiple meanings so you would need to elaborate on that.

No passenger side footwell lights on my 2000. The 'sporting mindset for life' or something like that appears on a number of things in the NSX. That suggests that your module might be an OEM part. I don't know whether the sporting mindset appeared on other Honda vehicles or just the NSX

On my 2000, the Acura keyless entry system is not mill finish aluminum; but, black (krinkle finish I think) and does not have that mindset sticker. On my 2000, the keyless unit is an Acura retro fit accessory and because of the passenger airbag it actually sits exposed (probably the reason it is black) and attached with clips and screws to the trim panel below the glove box. No plastic zip ties. Starting with the 2002 model year the NSX got a factory installed keyless entry system that was integrated with the alarm system. I can't comment on whether that was one module or two because I do not have the electrical trouble shooting manuals for a 2002+.

If somebody broke the original retaining clips for the keyless unit they might have attached it with zip ties. But, the Acura accessory unit is black. Some people have retrofit security units with keyless functionality to the car and may have used zip ties to fasten it below the glove box and those units might be mill finish aluminum. Is there a part number on the module? If so, a Google search would probably confirm what it is.

Thanks for the comment, updated with year and model.
So no pass footwell light. I guess I'll just need to add one myself :)

Pictures would help.

The OEM Keyless Entry System (KES) made by Kenwood, is a metal box that is powder coated black (kinda brown). It should be bolted (10mm heads) to the under dash panel.

The body side KES connector integrated with the Security Control Unit for year model 1993-2005. In 1991-1992 year model, the SCU required overt additional connections. JDM year models are N-1.

The SCU monitors the door switches...and therefore the courtesy lights. I recommend fully rerouting the wires for the overhead courtesy light or adding in diodes so the SCU/KES work properly.

The KA5 Legend seems to have the most in common with the NSX. There are a few parts bin scraps in the Prelude (BB? BA?), Del Sol, and Accord.

Back