Parts and labor for new clutch

depends on NSX type...I guess yours is a 91
tongue.gif

...well try www.scienceofspeed.com

they have a nice comparo

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

I've been really impressed with the Centerforce unit. It has seems to have the smoothness and lack of shudder of a street oriented clutch with the durability, reliability, and crisp engagement of a race clutch... all with an attractive price ($895.00 + your core returned).

The clutch includes the resurfaced factory flywheel, but also allows you to select from one of the many lightweight flywheels out there for the 5-spd trans.

Glowing praise is one thing... using it is another... next month I will be installing the Centerforce clutch and ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 flywheel in the white car.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/Centerforce/default.asp

centerforce_clutch_apart.jpg

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

You can get a new stock Clutch and Flywheel from Eric at Niello Acura in Sacramento for around $1,074 if your a NSXCA member he gives the best prices hands down. Then take it to Acura of Brookfield and the labor runs around $456 just had this done to mine and it turned out perfect.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by DURIM91NSX:
What can I expect to pay for a new clutch,and what should labor cost. Also what brands should I look to purchase, or should I get oem clutch. New or rebuilt?

I assume you'll be getting the work done by Acura of Brookfield, which is not only your local dealer, but also one of the top experts in NSX service in the country. I would suggest you discuss it with John Vasos, the service manager there, and see what he suggests.

FWIW, I am very happy with the OEM clutch.

can a OE clutch go with a lightweight flywheel?

BTW Chris.. which clutch set would you reccomend for a daily driver?

See if you can try driving someone's aftermarket clutch before you commit to putting one in your own car. The biggest problem with using aftermarket clutches on the street is that they are so grabby that there is very little "sweet spot", that it's basically on, or off. I tried driving one (I think it was a Centerforce) and hated it.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
I've been really impressed with the Centerforce unit. It has seems to have the smoothness and lack of shudder of a street oriented clutch with the durability, reliability, and crisp engagement of a race clutch... all with an attractive price ($895.00 + your core returned).

The clutch includes the resurfaced factory flywheel, but also allows you to select from one of the many lightweight flywheels out there for the 5-spd trans.

Glowing praise is one thing... using it is another... next month I will be installing the Centerforce clutch and ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 flywheel in the white car.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/C enterforce/default.asp

centerforce_clutch_apart.jpg

-- Chris

How well does the Centerforce clutch work with higher HP application such as supercharged NSX?

A OE clutch can work with a lightweight flywheel (with the same profile as the factory fly) with out a problem.

I would recommend the factory, Centerforce, or Comptech Powergrip 1 for daily drivers. I believe there are two main things that make a clutch "streetable". The first is pedal effort, the second is the engagement characteristics based on the friction resistance of the friction material (how "grabby" it is).

The Centerforce uses a friction material that is more durable and more heat resistant than the OE friction material. It should provide better performance and reliability than the factory clutch. That being said, OE clutches have been used successfully with many of the high-output forced induction setups. The stock clutch seems to have sufficient clamping force and friction resistance for most FI setups available now, however, faster progressive wear will likely result.

I do not fault the factory clutch for the rapid wear that many people see with either bone stock NA or FI motors. Due to it's design for performance (twin disc setup allows low MOI, low MOI = centralized mass) it is more difficult to judge engagement which results in drivers feathering and slipping the clutch, especially at low speeds. This is just exasperated with more torque through the drivetrain. With faster enagement and release of the clutch pedal, NSX owners will see longer life from their clutches.

The reason I prefer Centerforce vs. the factory clutch (besides the higher price of the factory) is the slightly more "sporty" pedal effort and engagement characteristics of the Centerforce which makes the engagement of the discs easier to judge.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Back