Painting the Roof$$

How much does it cost(estimated) to paint the roof back to black, I personally like the off color look. There are a couple of NSX that I like but they had the Roof painted to match the car. also what is the paint code Honda/Acura uses on the roof?

a bumper is around 4-500, assuming the roof take less work then the bumper!
3-400 sounds reasonable, but then again, u could have a $10000+ paint job from some high end car company!

I did a dummy estimate when I was about to buy a car with a black roof, and I wanted to color match it. Going by $44 an hour for labor, I ended up with around $800 to paint the roof.

The entire roof assy must be dissasembled to paint it properly. This involves removing the windshield as well and when it's removed I don't believe it can be replaced with the original and a new one must be installed. Once the seals are broken they cannot be reinstalled.

I may be wrong about this but this is what I was told by my body shop and by the windshield glass technician. If this correct the cost of a new windshield must be factored into the equation.

Perhaps someone can confirm this?

from my experience- yes, the windshield does break when removed, no matter how carefull you try to be.

man serious about the windshield. I plan on buying an off colored roof anyway, but just seeing how much extra to get one painted back...opens up more options. I would want it done right though, not cheaply done.

The windshield does not have to be removed...just the surrounding plastic/rubber trim.

That's what I thought? Why would you need to remove windshield? I would think just remove the side moldings and and the rubber seals.

I prefer the OEM Black top coupe combo myself too.

Last edited:
How much does it cost(estimated) to paint the roof back to black, I personally like the off color look. There are a couple of NSX that I like but they had the Roof painted to match the car. also what is the paint code Honda/Acura uses on the roof?

Just an FYI, all roofs are black from 01-05 less Zindari/S-SZero and T's.

Nope! I do believe there were a couple (I think 4) of NSX coupes floating around. I remember seeing a 2000 or 2001 factory red coupe for sale a while back. They were asking a pretty premium for it. Aslo, from Prime Classifieds. A 2000 Silver Coupe

I believe you are correct. Special ordered NA2 coupes could be ordered with either a black top or a color-keyed top.

I believe you are correct. Special ordered NA2 coupes could be ordered with either a black top or a color-keyed top.

I was about to say I thought in 04 they started offering the matched roofs, but some people have painted theirs to match, I would probably want to paint it back...whats the paint code(Same as the Berlina Black??)

I was about to say I thought in 04 they started offering the matched roofs, but some people have painted theirs to match, I would probably want to paint it back...whats the paint code(Same as the Berlina Black??)

Coupes were not available at all after 2001 and no NSX-T ever had a black roof from the factory.

Coupes were not available at all after 2001 and no NSX-T ever had a black roof from the factory.

I meant to say after 94, don't know why I put 04

In the UK a Black roof was always an option, but yes from around 1995 colour coded was the standard and Black was an option.

Hence my 1997 OEM Imola Orange Pearl with Black roof.

:wink:

Actually in 1994 only later Brooklands Green Pearl NSXs had a color-matched roof. All other colors had a black roof. 1995 was really the first year of the color-matched roof for all NSXs.

Nope! I do believe there were a couple (I think 4) of NSX coupes (non T NA2s) floating around. I remember seeing a 2000 or 2001 factory red coupe for sale a while back. They were asking a pretty premium for it. Aslo, from Prime Classifieds. A 2000 Silver Coupe

Yup this coupe had a "blackroof". Standard for all coupes & Type R's, are black roof, optional is matching colored roof. Black coupes from 90-05 and 94 Brooklands are the only cars with matching roof less Zinardi-S-Zero and T's unless special ordered or someone painted ithe roof aftermarket.

In the UK a Black roof was always an option, but yes from around 1995 colour coded was the standard and Black was an option.

Hence my 1997 OEM Imola Orange Pearl with Black roof.

Only coupes were able to be ordered with a black roof from 1997-2001. There is no NSX-T with a black roof from the factory. You must have a coupe Imola Orange or if it's a T the roof was painted black.

The windshield does not have to be removed...just the surrounding plastic/rubber trim.

+1

There is no reason or advantage to removing the windshield when painting a NSX roof.

Windshields, rear windows and side windows on other cars can and often are removed and re-installed without breaking them but there is always a risk with this procedure. I'd hazard a 1 in 10 risk of breakage?

Back