Painting Door Handles On Nsx

Has anyone painted the door handles on the NSX? I'm interested in painting mine because it is very faded. If anyone did it. How did it look after painting? or do you just replace it? They are pretty expensive to replace? I quoted one in acuraoemparts.com.

Mine will be off in less than a week, if you want since you are local I will sell you mine if you want. the new ones are very pricy but since I am redoing the whole car again I don't mind dropping the cash. P.M. if you are interested. Thanks, Frank

Hijacking the thread a little bit - The stock door handles are VERY dissapointing to me. Any other options for aftermarket or modifications.. I think the rubber seal makes it look bad.

I'd pay decent money to get a newer, nicer set.

Mine weren't looking so hot when I redid my car so I wetsanded and buffed them and they came out looking like new!!! Even removed some oxidation that was on there

nsxot1c,

So you painted the handles first then wet sanded it.

By the way, can you post pics of your NSX. I never seen the MIDNIGHT PEARL with the 02 conversion. My NSX is also MIDNIGHT PEARL and I'm contemplating the 02 conversion in the future.

No, I actually wet-sanded the laminent that is on the handles from the factory and then buffed them, it took away all off the faded appearance that was on the. Here is my car after the conversions when it was still midnight pearl...

it is now championship white with a black roof with the entire nsx-r cosmetic conversion done.

nsxot1c,

So you painted the handles first then wet sanded it.

By the way, can you post pics of your NSX. I never seen the MIDNIGHT PEARL with the 02 conversion. My NSX is also MIDNIGHT PEARL and I'm contemplating the 02 conversion in the future.

nsxot1c,

The MIDNIGHT PEARL 02 conversion looks awesome!! I was skeptical at first with the 02 look on the MIDNIGHT PEARL color, but after seeing it on your car. It is definetly a must as my future project. The 02 conversion workmanship looks good. May I ask what body shop handle your conversion. It seems like in the forum the only people capable of a quality 02 conversion was in the west coast Did you get it done out here in NY? It looks really good on those pictures. The NSX-R colors looks nice, but personally I would have kept the MIDNIGHT PEARL then again all NSX look good on any color.

nsxot1c,

The MIDNIGHT PEARL 02 conversion looks awesome!! I was skeptical at first with the 02 look on the MIDNIGHT PEARL color, but after seeing it on your car. It is definetly a must as my future project. The 02 conversion workmanship looks good. May I ask what body shop handle your conversion. It seems like in the forum the only people capable of a quality 02 conversion was in the west coast Did you get it done out here in NY? It looks really good on those pictures. The NSX-R colors looks nice, but personally I would have kept the MIDNIGHT PEARL then again all NSX look good on any color.

thanks!! I actually do all of my own work, I originally did the conversions myself and also completely re-did my car myself, full paint etc.
Chris

No, I actually wet-sanded the laminent that is on the handles from the factory and then buffed them, it took away all off the faded appearance that was on the. Here is my car after the conversions when it was still midnight pearl...

it is now championship white with a black roof with the entire nsx-r cosmetic conversion done.

Damn, how many sets of wheels do you have? last set looks like 19/20 combo!!1:eek:

If the door handles are plastic, just used paint polish (like meguires paint restore) and buff the plastic to shiny. It also works on the plastic lenses. Indicators, rear tail lenses. You should take them off to do it properly. I wouldn't do it on 02 head lights though, maybe a finer polish.

If the door handles are plastic, just used paint polish (like meguires paint restore) and buff the plastic to shiny. It also works on the plastic lenses. Indicators, rear tail lenses. You should take them off to do it properly. I wouldn't do it on 02 head lights though, maybe a finer polish.

Is this accurate? My 91 is going in for paint on Monday and i wanted to know this as well. The front window and door handle moldings are the only parts that i have not replaced (because of cost) and the painter and I had just decided to paint the molding and door handles but if you think they can be polished instead then that sounds like a better option.

I do have two tiny cracks in the driver side door handle molding. Is there any way to repair this without causing future problems?

Is this accurate? My 91 is going in for paint on Monday and i wanted to know this as well. The front window and door handle moldings are the only parts that i have not replaced (because of cost) and the painter and I had just decided to paint the molding and door handles but if you think they can be polished instead then that sounds like a better option.

I do have two tiny cracks in the driver side door handle molding. Is there any way to repair this without causing future problems?

Well it worked for me. Using the the lightest/finest finishing polish works well. Especially tail lights. Cracks can be filled, but then you'd need to paint them anyway. Filled,primered, painted, top gloss, polish. If the area is under stress then cracking may occur again, all depends on the area, size of crack.

AJNSX,

So just by polishing the the faded door handles will get it back to looking new? or do I have to remove it or can I do polish it directly on the door?

If the plastic has faded (black plastic thats gone greyish-white) polishing with a soft rag does restore it to black, as you are polishing off surface fade. The door handle is black right through so it's just exposing new plastic. You can polish it directly on the door but i don't advise it. Polish streaks and dirt can rub off onto surrounding paint. Masking just makes it messier i have found, sticky part of the tape can join forces with grime and make life difficult. (I've spent many years detailing my cars for judging at shows)

It's more work to take off the door handles, but then you can get all nooks and crannies and have a uniform look. (if i went to the trouble of taking the handles off, i'd paint them myself. Not hard. Done it for my cars and friends cars, side mirrors too.) You can see if it works by getting a soft cloth, apply some cutting polish (finest possible) polish it out and see if your happy. You could use a dremel tool with much better results, but i have never done it so cannot comment. You also risk deforming/cutting into the plastic, which is why i prefer to do it by hand.

Aaron J:smile:

P.s Looking for a picture of what i used to use and found that Meguires has a restoration polish for just this type of thing if you are so inclined to try. I've never used this product and from experience they only offer temporary solutions. Order of priority would be buy new ones from honda, paint old ones, polish old ones, the product below or drive around with funky door handles.
http://www.meguiars.com/?car-trim-molding-care/Gold-Class-Trim-Detailer

Last edited:
I was at the painters today asking about what they planned to do to my door handles and they said paint them. I asked about polishing them since they are plastic and they told me that it wouldnt work because of the oxidation. I dont know if that means that they have already been painted or if that was the orginal clear coat on the plastic but they said painting them was the only way to fix my drivers side so i told them to do both.

On a side note, I still need help locating the molding that goes around the door handles and the front of the windows. My parts guy told me that i would have to replace the entire exterior handle assembly (which runs about $700) but that just seems silly when all i need in the molding from it. Anyone know where i can buy this molding at?

From an E-Bay AD
side.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

s1.jpg

Hope this helps,

J.

I was at the painters today asking about what they planned to do to my door handles and they said paint them. I asked about polishing them since they are plastic and they told me that it wouldnt work because of the oxidation. I dont know if that means that they have already been painted or if that was the orginal clear coat on the plastic but they said painting them was the only way to fix my drivers side so i told them to do both.

On a side note, I still need help locating the molding that goes around the door handles and the front of the windows. My parts guy told me that i would have to replace the entire exterior handle assembly (which runs about $700) but that just seems silly when all i need in the molding from it. Anyone know where i can buy this molding at?

Polishing anything without clear coating will always have the problem off being exposed to oxidization. That was the cheapest option.

looks terrible color matched IMO

I agree, by design (colour) the handle looks as though its part of the window space, colour coding breaks that uniform shape the window forms.:smile:

Back