Painting carbon fibre

Although I am not too thrilled by the look of carbon fibre, I like the weight savings it affords. For furture reference, can carbon fibre parts be painted successfully and durably to match the original color?

Make sure the bodyshop knows what they are doing... I've heard of some half-ass bodyshops painting on CF, only to have the paint not being able to stick on properly :p

NSX-GT said:
Make sure the bodyshop knows what they are doing... I've heard of some half-ass bodyshops painting on CF, only to have the paint not being able to stick on properly :p
That is why I asked the question iun the first place. Does anyone know what sort of procedure is needed to properly prep cf for painting?

I believed WET-sanding away the clear coat / gel coat that came with the carbon hood then after that just like what they would do to a fiber glass, plastic finished products.

I saw one import magazine put Kandy apple Blue over the carbon fiber, So that in one angle it's still blue and that matches the car's color, and on the other angle and Carbon Wave showed through. IMO it's very good looking.

no no, dont wet sand away the clear...I am a pro, I paint for a living(aircraft). I have painted lots of CF parts including an entire airplane made totaly of CF(Lancair V-P). Yes CF is just like fiberglass, but if it already has a clear or gel coat all you have to do is sand it smooth with 320 or 400 grit paper(try not to sand too mutch or you will cut through the clear or gel coat) just enough to take the gloss off and paint like any other part. Any competent paint shop should beable to do this. yes the weave will eventually show depending on how hot the part gets over time. The resins in the CF shrink over time, especially with heat and parts that were not heat cured at the time of production. Parts heat cured usually have a higher heat tolerance over time..hope this helps.

Back