Painted Calipers With Pics

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
I know there have been several threads regarding this topic but why not provide a fresh one with pics for the benefit of the new members who aren't yet familiar with search? My friend Captain Ted is the proud new owner of TucAZNSX's beautiful red 1996 car which many of you might have seen on this years NSXPO brochure.

We used the G2 kit available from many online sources or direct from G2 Manufacturing themselves for about $40 bucks. This is a high quality kit which includes a can of brake cleaner (buy one or two additional cans, you'll need them) a can of paint as well as a small bottle of hardening agent which is added to the paint before beginning. Once mixed you have a 4 to 6 hour working time which is more than enough. Their instruction imply that 2 coats are sufficient but with the NSX's dark calipers and the fact that there was an ample supply of paint we applied 4 coats. The kit comes with one of those crappy metal tube paintbrushes which I find will let bristles loose as you're painting. We stopped by Home Depot and purchased a higher quality wood handled 1" brush. Any hardware or hobby sho will stock similar items. We masked off the bleed nipples, the rubber boots near the back of the calipers and the surfaces of the discs adjacent to the calipers. The paint requires about 15 minutes between coats so by the time you've finished painting the last caliper you can go right ahead and start the next coat cycle with the first caliper that you painted. Here are some pics.......
We're probably going to use a Dremel tool and gring the paint of the NSX logo on each caliper then protect the bare metal with some clear coat in a day or so.

paintkit.jpg

coat1.jpg

coat2.jpg

coat3_1.jpg

coat3_2.jpg

coat4_1.jpg

coat4_2.jpg

you should take off the calipers to paint it, it will looks much better and i prefer black with red lettering, only my opinion please no offence

Last edited:
nis350 said:
you painted the pads too... :eek:

It's ok, it won't hurt anything, the pad is heavy enough that the paint won't make it stick to the caliper braket beyond not being able to remove...

Hugh, make sure that you highlight the nsx letter, it makes the caliper stand out. I'm worrying about the paint flake off, I had the same product you had and I used it on my accord years ago. (like back in 96) Within years, it will flake due to people install pads, and wheels... (I used to let people doing those jobs for me, not anymore) or just simply heat. Granted, I didn't track that car at all, I supposed it's because the coat is getting too thick.

Anyway, I would recommend spray painted. It's cheap (vs. powder coat), the only time consuming part is the masking and sanding. And it doesn't require any dismount, mounting. Only disappointment I had is that it won't last after track use. But after seeing those discolored Brembo calipers on the track, Mines not too bad I guessed. :tongue:

NSXsan said:
you should take off the calipers off to paint it, it will looks much better and i prefer black with red lettering, only my opinion please no offence

The only problem I could see with that is the black wouldn't show up very well. Obviously the red NSX would be that is about all.

nis350 said:
you painted the pads too... :eek:

We would have taken more care and masked off the backs of the pads too but these pads are due for replacement very soon, most likely with Carbotech Bobcats which happen to be red. :)

As another poster pointed out, it really doesn't matter anyway.

Hugh said:
I like starting my own threads, it makes me feel special.

Dude, the maiden font was worth the new thread. It helped me. NSX Content: I own one. This is the internet - the way to avoid a thread that will waste your time is to NOT CLICK ON IT...... i know, it gets complicated. Anyway, you dont need to post a new thread to feel special -you got the MAIDEN FONT!!!! :biggrin:

Back