Paint question

I'm reviewing NSX's and one car I'm quite serious about has a paint scuff on the hood and fender. It's not a deep scratch just looks like someone dragged something over the paint such as a cover. The owner states it can be just buffed out.....

Has anyone had any experience removing light scratches in the paint? Can this indeed be buffed out?

When you "buff out" a scratch, what you are doing is lower the surrounding paint surface to match the depth of the scratch. There is also the "collapse the side" theory, where, if you think of the scratch as a "v" groove in the paint, the top of the V can be pushed into the scratch to minimize the damage. You should be able to find links in the detailing section that can provide a lot more inofrmation on this subject.

But back to your problem / question...

If you have the opportunity, take the car to a professional detailer and let them tell you what you are dealing with before you purchase. Often times the type of damage you describe can be easily improved with the correct use of the right polishing product.

The answer to your question will depend on how deep the scratches are. If you buy the car and want to improve the look of the damaged area, start with a "swirl remover" if that doesn't work, try a "machine polish". If you still have noticable marks your probably headed to paint but a last effort would be a polishing compound.

And, of course, be careful you don't rub through the clear coat. Light pressure with the proper product will provide the best results.

I agree with everything Norm said.

However, I would also note that most dealers aren't very good at detailing, and I wouldn't expect them to be able to express a knowledgeable opinion about it. (Similarly, most body shops may be more inclined to "paint first, ask questions later".)

I was just over where the Acura dealer is located and there is a body shop a block down. Might be a good stop to request. I recognize the car isn't brand new but it would be one of those things that would drive me crazy.

Back