Paint chips. Any experience with Dr. Colorchip?

Traded in 2018 black for a 2020 yellow yesterday. Drove 400 miles home. Washed car today to clean off dirt from the drive. Discovered 3 chips on the passenger door.

Anyone have experience with Dr. Colorchip chip repair?
https://youtu.be/1rxBEPVmgOo

Or should I just live with the chips? They're not too noticeable on a yellow car.

TIA

There is a process you can go through to where the chip will not show following the process. Essentially, get yourself the OEM paint based on your code. Then get some 3000 to 5000 grit wet sanding paper. You can use a small rubber eraser as a block. What you want to do is wet sand the chip and keep the area as small as possible. You need to reduce the outer parts of the chip that are actually raised. By wet sanding you will smooth out the area where the chip hit. Then you clean it with pain thinner to remove any oils etcetera. From here you start dabbing on the paint allowing each coat to dry, before applying another. at some point you will no longer have a dimple, instead you will have a slight bump of paint. Allow this to dry for 36 to 48 hours. Now wet sand again using 5000 grit. Again keep the sanding area as small as possible. You will find that going slowly and carefully that the bump of paint disappears leaving a smooth surface. You stop at this point and you can polish the small area out. It will be almost impossible to see where the chip was. Obviously you can work on the three chips all at the same time. If you check out YouTube you will see a couple of videos on this methodology. It is the best way to get rid of the chip and any evidence. This is definitely preferable to just dabbing some paint on the chip. As far as I know there is no other way to make it disappear. Good luck let us know what you do.

That process sounds great but I have neither the ability nor the desire to try wet sanding. The Dr. Colorchip process sounds very similar but, instead of using wet sanding, they use a paint that is designed to be removed using their "blending" formula. If anyone has had personal experience using this product, I may give it a try. Otherwise, I'll try to find a professional to fix it.

That process sounds great but I have neither the ability nor the desire to try wet sanding. The Dr. Colorchip process sounds very similar but, instead of using wet sanding, they use a paint that is designed to be removed using their "blending" formula. If anyone has had personal experience using this product, I may give it a try. Otherwise, I'll try to find a professional to fix it.

I have used Dr. Colorchip according to instructions on 2 cars, a 1991 BB NSX and a british racing green Jaguar. I didn't like the results. It's true the "smear" method doesn't leave a raised blob, but the color is less bright/shiny than the surrounding paint. I guess from 10-15 feet you might not notice the difference but at closer distances, I could. I gave up. I think the cure might be worse than the solution. At least for me it was.

Get factory touch up paint but instead of using brush supplied use a tooth pick or even syringe needle to put on paint little at time. Always seem to get way to much paint on those brushes. Remember to clean the chip first prior to applying touch up paint

Drmanny3 is right. The secret to touching up is "paint leveling" along with lots of patience.

The first thing I did was to get premixed spray from eBay. Your paint color code is in the Driver's Side door. I tried paint markers and liquid touch up but found that the premixed spray is best. For bigger gouges I had to spray, sand and then polish to get it right. With spots use a small pick to fill in the area. Try to get it as level as you can. Once dry wet sand the area smooth with 3000 sand paper. Then use polish to get shine and seal the area with good car wax. Here's my best before and after job.

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

For smaller chips I spray some paint into a cup and use a small pick to slowly fill the area with paint and follow a similar procedure to Drmanny3. The worst chips are on the door and hood for sure. Just be patient and you will have good results once you get the hang of it.

Drmanny3 is right. The secret to touching up is "paint leveling" along with lots of patience.

The first thing I did was to get premixed spray from eBay. Your paint color code is in the Driver's Side door. I tried paint markers and liquid touch up but found that the premixed spray is best. For bigger gouges I had to spray, sand and then polish to get it right. With spots use a small pick to fill in the area. Try to get it as level as you can. Once dry wet sand the area smooth with 3000 sand paper. Then use polish to get shine and seal the area with good car wax. Here's my best before and after job.

View attachment 167368View attachment 167369

For smaller chips I spray some paint into a cup and use a small pick to slowly fill the area with paint and follow a similar procedure to Drmanny3. The worst chips are on the door and hood for sure. Just be patient and you will have good results once you get the hang of it.

AMAZING Job. What is "premixed spray"?

The problem with getting chips in the paint is that there is a crater that is created following impact. If you could see the chip magnified you would see that the edges are higher as a result of the impact. So if you just fill it you will be able to see and/or feel the raised section. At a distance you may not see it but close up it will stare you in the face. So if you don't want to spend the time then I would definitely go the pro, but expect to pay for their time. You could always do everything but let a pro polish out the spot. Here are a couple of videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9zqVbcZDQ Here is a video using the Dr. Colorchip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHqwazq9xY&t=452sThe problem with the Dr. Colorchip is that if the chip is large enough, it will not fill in the area but color it. So at a close distance you will still see the indentation.

I did use a little bit of putty for chips and gouges as necessary.

That video was spot on. Touching up paint is very time intensive!

Last edited:
When I purchased my Nouvelle blue it had two chips on the hood. One was near the front and was big enough that you could see it around 5 feet away. I was really bummed but thought that was one of the few drawbacks to the car in addition to it being lowered. It took me a week to do the chips. But when it was done I was surprised that I could only see a color difference if I was 10 inches away. So it was worth doing. I don’t know if you could get this done any other way? I was not leaving the car for a week with someone else assuming I could have found a person willing to do it. The only other thing you can do is fill it then shoot the spot with paint and blend. I did not think that it would work with this special OEM paint.

Back