Paddle Shifter???? Auto NSX??

Looks like it's paddle shifter... as in ONE! :rolleyes: lol Never really noticed that as well, but it does look factory... hmm... interesting find. Anyone with an automatic or more knowledge, can you please elaborate?

!!g0,f+QBmE~$(KGrHqV,!k0Ey+jC2OPoBM987Y(uyQ~~_4.JPG

!!g0,f5wEGE~$(KGrHqJ,!lcEy+jC)GB)BM987Wv2bQ~~_4.JPG

Last edited:
I've got one - like it!
Honda was the first car with paddle shifter in serial production cars! Came in -95, I think, and had it in all automatics till -05.

First NSX I ever drove was a paddle shifter. It was when I was living in Scotland and the Honda dealer let me take it for a demo drive. It was a blast to drive. I always take it with a grain of salt when I read about some one knocking an automatic NSX. The one I drove was great.

As one of the owners that's not afraid to let it be known that I have an auto, my 95' has the paddle shifter and I like it very much. Especially, when the car is cold, it doesn't want to shift up to help warm the engine but I don't like to keep it reved up in the lower gears but the paddle shifter will "over-ride" what the transmission wants to do and I can shift it up with no problems at all. Also, I live on a mountain and I can choose what gear to go up (and down) in. I only wish there was an extra gear... or two to choose from. Oh yeah, so far, clutch replacement cost = $0!
-Robert

i love my 95 auto....i cruise with my daughter (dog) often when im not working, and sometimes i like to eat while im commuting from job to job....i don't miss stick shift when im stuffing a burger in my pie hole and holding a drink while im zipping down the highway....and the paddle shifter definitely does help in the hilly areas...

i love my 95 auto....i cruise with my daughter (dog) often when im not working, and sometimes i like to eat while im commuting from job to job....i don't miss stick shift when im stuffing a burger in my pie hole and holding a drink while im zipping down the highway....and the paddle shifter definitely does help in the hilly areas...

A true American! :biggrin:

I love it when I see camaraderie... all the automatic owners fessing up:biggrin:

and I love this!!!!
"when im stuffing a burger in my pie hole and holding a drink while im zipping down the highway"

My problem is there isn't enough cup holders for Big Gulps, cell phones and where is my iPad supposed to go. :rolleyes:

I just checked in on this thread and I'm glad I did. I learned something - I didn't know there were paddle shifters? Did all the automatics come that way or did that start later or was it an option? Another cutting edge option for the car! Pretty cool.

1995 and newer. The sports shifter, as Acura calls it, is similar to operating a manual, but not totally the same, and there are some drawbacks.

1. In sports shift mode the trans will still automatically shift form 1st to 2nd when you let up on the gas.
  2. 1st gear is a little to short and 2nd gear is a little too tall. The tall 2nd gear prevents strong acceleration out of turns.
  3. It is challenging to downshift from 2nd to 1st, you need to match the revs, but because 1st is so short you would only shift from 2nd to 1st on hair pin turns.

With practice you can learn to work with the drawbacks.

Man, that is really cold....calling your daughter a "dog?" I am sure somebody will find her attractive.

Just kiddin' of course!

Last edited:
i have a 96 with the paddle shifter and its great. i have always prefered manuals but this is my exception i guess. u get all the comforts of an auto with the fun of a manual . takes a little toying around with in gears 1& 2 but once u learn how to make it do what u want to do , wonderful .

Back