P0171, CEL light but car is running ok (1996 NSX-T, 100K miles)

Got the car two weeks ago, drove it almost 10 hours from its location to my home,
It wasn't idling well from the get go, but the car drove and i made the drive (including 2 fuels stops and multiple other stops) pretty easily.

This week, after not driving it for a couple of days i took it for a spin - CEL light comes on
I run a scan - got P0171 error, lean fuel on bank 1
Changed spark plugs - problem remains

I ordered O2 sensor.
Question is:
Can i drive the car with the CEL light on until the new sensor arrive?

Read the following threads:

you most likely need your fuel injectors cleaned, bench flowed...worked for me.

The prior service and vehicle history if available can be useful information if you are asking for diagnostic opinions. They may alter the probability of such outcomes such as 'is it likely that my O2 sensor is dead'.

P01710 can be caused by a problem with the measurement device (the O2 sensor) or an actual engine problem which the measurement device has correctly measured. If the problem is a measurement device failure which means there is no actual engine problem (other than skewing the air fuel mixture to run rich) then you should be able to drive without issue. If the O2 sensor is jut fine then it is an actual engine problem and you may be 'less OK'. Depending on how less OK it is you can probably drive the car; but, I would not drive aggressively. You get to be the judge.

My first line of response would be to assume that the measurement device is OK and that there is an underlying engine problem. Particularly since you report idle issues which an O2 sensor reading lean would not necessarily cause. Since you are not getting a corresponding error on Bank 1 the MAP sensor and the fuel supply system are probably OK (a fuel pressure check is always a useful diagnostic). That kind of points a finger at a possible problem with the fuel injectors on bank 1 in which case following @docjohn 's suggestion to have the injectors tested and cleaned (all of them) would be a good idea.

At 100,000 miles it is possible that the O2 sensor has failed or that the injectors are dirty. If you knew the prior history of the car (it sat parked for 4 years with the same tank of skanky gas) that would cause me to adjust my probability way up on the 'its the injectors'.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, I like the thinking process to eliminate some options.
Some more context:

1. The car did seat for a long time before i purchased it, Last documented maintenance was 3000 miles ago, but in 2017.
2. I am still on the hunt for its service history (it was a Canadian car, even has NSXP 2009 stickers on it, with Toronto's skyline)
3. all filters and oils have been changed since got it

Another data point - when i drive the car with the AC on, no CEL or code apear (makes me think that it is running too lean)

will try to find a picture of the spark plugs i removed from the car.
will try running some injector cleaner first and will schedule a date to pull out the injectors and send them for proper cleaning.

Back