Opinions on Purchase of a 92

Tell me your honest opinions or suggestions you might have.

The car is a 1992 red/black with black interior, I saw the car personally and it was in good condition...paint was glossy and a few minor chips in the front..no dings i could see, just plain beautiful. Interior was worn but in good condition, he owner replaced the window things, and fixed the bose system. The only problem is that he has never done the belts!! the cars is 12 years old with 77,000 miles on it!..this worries me, The price he is asking is $30,000k. He said he does all the maintance himself, I kinda of trust his work because we were talking about how he use to road race a lot in a rx-7. He uses quaker state full synthetic, and uses fram filters for oil changes.

I did test drive the car and felt fine..I read the faq in and did all of those things...but I am worried about the timming belt on this NSX, its overdue.

I offered him 28k and he said he will sit on it...but the car must pass a PPI at autowave in Huntington Beach.

Do you think 28K is too much??...my buddy got his 91 for only 22k with 80k miles but all service done and papers to prove it!...this owner doesn't because he said he does all his own work.

BTW: blue book on this car is 28k. What i offered him.

P.S. please let me know if i overlooked anything, or have suggestions for me...I'm here to learn.

Thanks, Mark

I wouldn't let the timing belt not being done stop you from buying the car, but I would get it done ASAP and check the hoses, etc!!! Don't forget to find out if the transmission falls within the snap ring range. I would find out the results from the PPI and go from there.

I think $28k US is a very reasonable offer. I would probably offer less considering how poorly maintained the car is. 12 year old timing belt??? That's just not smart! That lack of attention to maintaining the car would make me doubt that other aspects of the car were properly maintained also. i.e. trans fluid, cooling system (you probably have 12 year old hoses also).

Make sure the climate control works well on ALL settings and ask for ALL service records! Also check to see if transmission is in the snap ring range, this can also be a negotiating tool.

And he admits to using fram filters?? They are usually considered bottom of the barrell in terms of quality. Check out sites that have cutaways and compare an OEM Honda filter to an off the shelf fram. Even though Fram does in fact make the Honda filter, they are nowhere near the same in terms of quality. Matter of fact, I just might pass on this car. Good luck in any event!

Also, is Autowave an Acura dealer? If not, I would recommend having the PPI done by a NSX certified mechanic. I'm not saying Autowave is bad, maybe someone from the left coast could chime in here.

for $28K I would ask him to bring the car to the Acura Dealer of your choice (ask nsxtasy for advice for whom to bring it to) and have them go by it, look at what needs to be replaced/ficed and perform the 60K service which includes T/B, W/P etc... If he refuses, propose to him the $28K minus the price the dealer quote you for all of the above (~$3-4K?).

hlweyl said:
I think $28k US is a very reasonable offer. I would probably offer less considering how poorly maintained the car is. 12 year old timing belt??? That's just not smart! That lack of attention to maintaining the car would make me doubt that other aspects of the car were properly maintained also. i.e. trans fluid, cooling system (you probably have 12 year old hoses also).

Make sure the climate control works well on ALL settings and ask for ALL service records! Also check to see if transmission is in the snap ring range, this can also be a negotiating tool.

And he admits to using fram filters?? They are usually considered bottom of the barrell in terms of quality. Check out sites that have cutaways and compare an OEM Honda filter to an off the shelf fram. Even though Fram does in fact make the Honda filter, they are nowhere near the same in terms of quality. Matter of fact, I just might pass on this car. Good luck in any event!

Thanks for all replying....So I see that from what I've Read, I am offering him a decent price...Maybe I'll Lower my Offer to 25-27K....do to maitence issues.I'm willing to give him cash for the vehicle, and also it is in Snap ring Range!! but he told me he had that replaced, but again no records...But this info can be found at any local acura dealer right?? if not...I'm going to force the NSX out of my thoughts...its like that VW bettle commercial.

The Car is located in Southern Califronia, and has been listed on my local Autotrader for over 6 months!!!. Some basic info on the man: He is in his late 40's...occupation is a Stock Broker (but he lives like 100 miles out from Los Angles..and 40 Miles from Orange County) I don't want to be negative but the man thinks his NSX is superior!..I know its a NSX but the fact is its a 92 in good working order, (maybe do to luck) with the maintance not up to date...I went on Kbb.com (kelly blue book) and added all the features and got qouted for 28,000 so I'm not really try to rip him off or anything it's just he won't budge. Oh yeah!, by the way..he openly admited not ever changing the Tranny Fluid!! man...

BTW he is the 2nd owner.

I did a 1 months research here on prime reading basically all I need to know in FAQ.....the guy never heard of prime and is going off what he thinks. Also I'm comming from a Integra Type-R background (if that makes sense). :p

Thank you guys again....please leave any comments or suggestions you might have, I willing to learn from you experiences.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would aim for a 93 or 94. The snap ring and window regulator issues can be avoided by simply avoiding a 91 or 92.

I would be worried - I don't care how nice a guy he is, somone that does their own maintenance and yet fails to address the timing belt/water pump, which are big issues on these cars, uses cheaper oil filters, then has no documents to back up the snap-ring problem having been addressed, is just to cavalier for me.

1- Acura NSX mechanic PPI
2- Factor all work needed to be done into your very reasonable offer of $28K
3- Don't fall victim to "gottahaveit" and pay to much for this car.
4- There are many that are/will be available and they will have all the documents, work done by certified mechanics, etc.

The buyer is in the driver's seat on this particular car. Take advantage of your position. Let the seller "sit on it" if he is unwilling to be fair and reasonable. Just my .02. Good luck

So he thinks so highly of his car but has 12 year old trans fluid and a 12 year old timing belt. Not good.

There are plenty of NSX's out there that have been well maintained. I would not buy his car.

hlweyl said:
So he thinks so highly of his car but has 12 year old trans fluid and a 12 year old timing belt. Not good.

There are plenty of NSX's out there that have been well maintained. I would not buy his car.

Thanks, got off the phone with him today...he's sitting on the price of 28k minus the expenses....He told me he would replace the timming belt himself.."cuz he use to work on race cars"...(89 Rx7 and CRX's)...he told me the race league/cup he was in but didn't care for it...But he did agree to take it down to autowave for a PPI inspection...I think he is going to be really suprised on what they say.....Keep the suggestions comming!..anything that will Help me put the ball in my court. I do very much appriciate all the responses and suggestions being made. ;)

If the owner attempted the timing belt/water pump job himself, then I ABSOLUTELY would NOT buy this car. This is a job for a professional mechanic. Check out Dan-O's site for a DIY timing belt job gone wrong. http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/index.html I've done timing belts along with a rebuild of a small block chevy and I would not touch the NSX timing belt job. It's just not that easy.

Please keep in mind Dan-O is one of the most knowledgeable members on prime also!

Back