Opinions on price for 91 NSX

I'm in the market for one of these cars and just went to see one.

The car is in excellent original condition. Paint is original and very good, rear bumper resprayed. The body is very good, one very small ding in the trunk. One rear rim shows some minor scrapes.

Interior is good and clean, with the exception of some tears on the driver's bolster.

50,000 miles, clean autocheck.

The car feels like it is in very good mechanical condition and runs and drives very solid. However:
- climate control does not turn on.
- left indicator stalk does not turn off
- speakers don't work, sounds comes out all broken up (this is not a big problem)
- I got a slight chattering noise from front left during the test drive, as if antilock brakes cut in. It didn't happen again and owner said it might have been because it had been sitting

The owner has had it for 3 years and bought it with 30,000 on it from original owner. He has records of a clutch change done by Acura. He has NO other records of any work done on the car.

The car is IN snap ring range but I do not believe that any work was done to deal with this.

I have not done a PPI yet.

What do you think the car is worth? I like the car, but realize that some money needs to be spent on it (climate control and servicing). I want to make the owner a fair offer and am not looking to low ball particularly, but I do not want to pay the "I'm hanging on as long as possible waiting for an idiot" price.

Thanks very much for any opinions

I bought a clean 91 in March. It had a CCU problem that BrianK fixed for not much money and he gives great service. He also does the Bose Amplifier repairs. My car had nearly twice the mileage but had either new seats or new leather on the seats, so a very clean interior. A few minor body issues but it was NOT in the snap ring range. I paid in the low 20's for her.
Some will say that the snap ring is a non-issue because XXX miles have been put on it already. That's all good and well until things come undone. Then it is a big hit in the wallet and the emotions.
Hope this helps.

My NSX is in snap-ring range,, but it might have been on the "lucky range" as for the price Blue book is around 25,000 but it not unheard of getting one under 20,000, I got my 1992 for 20,000 with a 100,000 miles, runs like a champ,had to do some typical repairs,, refresh the ac, spark plugs,, I didnt have to but i wanted to!! but read this,, its called the NSX Buyer Guide,, you will learn alot I did the check list before i bought mine and Im a happy man! there are 4 pages read everyone!!trust me its got great info!!
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html

Last edited:
Hey,

Don't want to repeat myself again here but I wrote an epistle on your question sort of on another thread you can read if you so desire - it's in the thread entitled "new member here". It's a good general dissertation on just this question of yours. I hope it helps but the purchase price of the one you are describing is just the tip of the iceberg. So don't think some low price is going to get you in a great car without needing some serious money forked over. Do not be duped. Read the checklist that Shawn mentions here - be educated and believe me - there are a lot of choices out there. This is surely not the pick of the litter. Read my post, I think you'll find it enlightening. Good luck! Merry Christmas!

The car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Only YOU can decide how much it is worth...to you.

I know that isn't helpful, but at the end of the day, it's the truth.

And what Tim said about purchase price being the tip of the iceberg is true. No matter what, you are talking about a car that is 18 years old.....what looks to be "great" right now, might not be in 6 months...or even 3 months. A PPI is very important, if done by someone who knows what they are looking at and what they are looking for.

I noticed you didn't mention TB/WP, that will need to be done if the originals are still in place....and that is not cheap.

But head on over and look at this thread. There is a lot of good information in there and it will help you decide if this is the car for you or not.

BTW, it took me 14 months of looking before I purchased. Others have been lucky and found one right away, while still others looked longer than I did. I had search criteria that I wanted to maintain and most of them were resistance points for me! :)

Mine is also in snap ring range.... it could go.

Just take it into account, that you could be looking at a transmission repair. There are some links here in the Wiki I believe on places that can repair the issue well under what the dealer would charge (replace the whole transmission).

The snap ring is like Russian Roulett, some cars will fail, others will be fine and within tolerance.

The paint on these cars is incredible, so it will look great for years. Being aluminum, there isn't much to rust.

But parts can be expensive.

Just search, check what they have been selling for and offer the guy what you think it is worth to you. Don't feel rushed. If you don't have a good feeling in your gut, go with your gut feeling and continue the search.

With the worn seats & snap ring, I would figure low 20's. 50k miles is still a pretty low mile car.. which is nice, but being in the snap ring range may not be so good, since some haven't failed until reaching higher miles.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Rod

Back