Opinions on 91-96 vs 97+ NSX

98R

Hey guys, wanted to get some good opinions on those who own the 3.0 liter models vs 3.2 owners. Within the next month or so I'm debating on whether to possibly purchase a older pre 97 NSX, or wait, save up and buy the much revised 97+ model in the future. Financially i would be able to buy an older model, but seems like the 3.2's increased power, 6spd, better brakes and whatnot definitely outperform the 3.0. For those who have driven both, is there really noticible differences between the two?

if you do a search on the topic you'll get plenty of prior post on the topic. most people say they notice the difference.

THonda said:
enough for you to wait to save up for a 97+? no.

I think it's a matter of preference. To me it was definitely worth it.

Also, lets not forgot that alot of the price difference stems from the fact that it is a newer model.

Obviously, if you are looking at a '96 and a '97, the price difference won't be that great compared to a '91 and '97.

RyRy210 said:
Obviously, if you are looking at a '96 and a '97, the price difference won't be that great compared to a '91 and '97.
Leaving aside differences in mileage and condition, there are really two "bumps" in pricing: Between the '91-94 NSX Coupe and the '95-96 NSX-T, and again between the '95-96 NSX-T and the '97-01 NSX-T. Prices within each category are fairly uniform. (There are '96-01 NSX Coupes but they are extremely rare.)

If you really care about getting a removable roof panel, and you're willing to pay $6-8K more for it, then get a '95-96 over a '91-94. If you really care about getting the additional power and six-speed, along with the removable roof panel, and you're willing to pay $6-10K more for it over the cost of an NSX-T without them, then get a '97+ over a '95-96.

get both!

if i were you, i will get the pre 97 and enjoy the car now! life is too short to wait! and later if you save enough money, sell the old one and get you a 97+!! the best of the both world!! ;)

I would save up longer and get the 97. The 6-speed and 3.2 are worth it IMO.

Thanks for some replies. My ideal pick would be a 97 hardtop, but yes the price jump is quite substantial into the 40's. I'm definitely a fixed roof guy. I also read up and noticed the gearing was changed slightly for 2nd gear in 95 year models, with many other updates. Would choosing a 95 fixed roof be a wiser choice over 91-94 years?

98R said:
I also read up and noticed the gearing was changed slightly for 2nd gear in 95 year models, with many other updates. Would choosing a 95 fixed roof be a wiser choice over 91-94 years?
No. The drivetrain changes made for '95 were very subtle and not of any major significance. There were NO coupes sold in '95, and almost as few in '96.

If you want a coupe, then look for a '91-94. (Unless you're willing to spend a whole lot more money, in which case look for a '99 Zanardi edition - of which there are not all that many and some have been abused.)

Back