opinions needed re: front end picture

Hey all,

I'm looking at a car close to my location as a possible purchase. The owner sent several nice pics but one stood out. The front clip "gap" looks much larger than I have seen on other cars on this forum. He mentioned a rear end "fender bender" that was the most expensive claim on the car ($3600 CAN.) but nothing of a front end accident. He mentioned it had been repainted and I wonder if the gap is a result of poor alignment or there was more to the story than meets the eye. I have yet to actually see the car since it is a day to actually drive and see it but if you guys have an opinion please let me know. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 180
Gap should be equal all the way across?
Could it be the photo?

12/25/06
NSX010.jpg

NSXPO 2005
nsxpopic.jpg

Driveway 05
IMGP0230_1.jpg

the gap between the hood and bumper cover (between the headlights). the gap appears to be large. i have seen a much tighter look. i asked one of my friends to look at the picture and the first thing he pointed out was the apparent size of the gap. i think it looks out of balance with the pieces around it. just wondering:confused:

i never received any more shots of the front end...hmmm- i wonder why?

Tony, what do you mean? Do you speak from knowledge of this car? I haven't posted a VIN as yet. It is in fact a '91 but the seller made no mention of front end damage. He did say that he had the ENTIRE car repainted when he bought it (including door trim,etc.) and that the front bumper cover/doors etc. were removed for the full paint job. This guy is the third owner of the car and I can guarantee the drivers seat was replaced at some point due to its condition vs the passenger side.

What you need is a straight on picture of the front of the car and, if possible, from a much lower angle.
Judging from the pictures, is seems the rear of the hood is aligned perfectly with the fenders. Also, the bumper seems to have a perfect fit to the fenders as well.
However, if the front bumper has been repainted it has come off. It is held by six bolts on the front and if the top ones are not bolted fully or have been shimmed, that could cause a small gap between the hood and the bumper.
What's also possible is that the rubber gasket between the hood and bumper has been put in the wrong way. This is possible because I know I've done the same thing myself and it took me a while to notice it.
Another reason might be that the hood is not totally flush with the bumper which makes the gap between larger also.
I would request some high-res close-up pictures of the hood and bumper or, better, inspect the car in person.

Remember, on the NSX, everything is bolted on and it can take a long time to get all the panels lined up exactly right because a slight change in one part influences all the others.

Off topic,
Just noticed, 2nd picture from 05 NSXPO has "sell 5 .com" on it?
Thought it was just a photographer? Now it looks like it was used in an add?:tongue:

Back on topic, it probably is the rubber giving the illusion of a big gap.
Should be easy to verify.

Here is another shot back when the prev owner has a yellow badge to match his "F" cars.
tinonsx.jpg

Last edited:
If the car is near to your location as you put it I would not depend on pictures as a great reference as to the condition of the car. I would go do a on site inspection in person and if you are not good at spotting body work I would bring someone who is with you or have him meet you at a body shop which is qualified to do a body work/frame inspection

I have no knowledge of this car. I just don't see any reason to fully repaint a 91-94 if it has been in a minor accident. Repairs costing 3600 dollars is a tap. How many miles on it? Take the VIN and spend 10 dollars for a BC claim report. You are in BC, right?

Back