Opinions/Carfax Wanted on 92 NSX, 36 Pics, JH4NA1152NT000332

I would really appreciate a carfax and any advice regarding this 92' NSX. It is a salvage, but rebuildable. Here is a link to my photo album (2 Pages):

http://photobucket.com/albums/c324/jhavird454/

The VIN # is: JH4NA1152NT000332

This 92' was hit obviously on the driver's side at the wheel. From what I can tell, I know it needs the following (apart from the obvious body work, paint, and wheel rash):

1) Radiator
2) Most of the Driver's side front suspension (the entire suspension was removed and is in the rear trunk, some parts may be good some not).
3) Steering Wheel
4) Front Head Light/Turn Signal assembly, Misc. Brackets

Aside from the large dent in the driver's door, the damage appears to be centralized at the front corner, which is away from the vitals in the rear. Both doors open and close perfectly, along with the rear hatch and trunk. The motor starts and runs smoothly. All electronics work, A/C is fine, the radio sounds good, and there are no engine error codes. The Interior is in good shape with normal wear. The clutch is tight, the the shifter is very short-throw and tight. The 5 speed tranny was fine before the accident (I was unable to go through the gears obviously). The frame did not appear to be bent. All panels are there and the rear is in excellent shape.

From what I've observed, all the parts this car needs have been listed in the forum for reasonable prices. I just need to know what you recognize as missing or out of place, besides the battery tray, radiator, and driver's side suspension. Also, regarding the front bay. Is there supposed to be a carpet compartment there or something?

The price is still being negotiated, but we are in the $10K - $12K range.

Thank you for your help. Any and all info is appreciated.

John

Last edited:
Well, there is a bit of damage there...hood, front bumper, lights, door, etc.

Not sure what's bent/missing on the suspension...but with damage like that, you may never get the alignment perfect. There also appears to be some damage to the rear of the car, judging from the alignment of the exhaust. Hard to really look over a car from just pictures....

I guess it comes down to price....if there aren't more than 70k miles on the engine, I would think $14k would be reasonable. Just my thought. (hmmm...just saw it had 158k miles...)

Personally I don't think it's worth the headache...but that might just be me.

BTW- Why is the gear shifter so damn rusty? Was the transmission out of the car and sitting outside?

You are going to spend big $$$ just on parts. Even if you get used ones. Then there's labor. It looks like the car sat in the rain open or got flooded or something involving water (seats water marked & faded, rusty shifter, rusty headlight opening LF, crusty motor). What if electronics are messed up? I'm guessing the interior will always smell. Plus it has 158K. Why buy a big problem of unknown depth? Seems like it would make a lot more sense to buy an intact car. Unless you can get this one dirt, dirt cheap & can get a deal on ALL the parts & do labor yourself. And have no hopes of high resale value. Doesn't seem worth the expense, time, or effort.

Just a thought..... If your a Doctor; why not just buy a REAL one?:confused: Something thats already perfect.

You can easily find a clear title NSX with those miles for 20k, which is what you will have into this car by the time you are done with it.

looks like a nightmare to me...and I fix cars and do my own bodywork!..unless you get it for about 1/3rd book value, I would stay away.

Thanks fellas for your thoughts. I agree that it is not worth the trouble unless it can be had for an incredibly low amount.

I believe the car sat outside in the rain for some time. The current owner knows basically nothing useful and bought it as it sits, then lost interest. There are lots of sketchy things about the owner and the car, but that's another story.

To whomever suggested I was a Doctor, not quite :wink: That's actually my name spelled backwards. I just graduated from Clemson and have a great job, so this car was going to be a project for my dad and myself. I wanted to thank him for tuition and all by fixing an NSX up for him since he loves Acuras and especially NSXs.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help, I do plan to stay away from this one unless the price is cut in half. :cool:

John

Back