• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions and reviews on the HP turbo kit

I'm going to be turboing my 91 pretty soon, I wanted to get some input & real world experience with the HP Performance turbo kit. I already have headers, but figure I can sell them to help off-set the slightly higher cost of this kit compared to other options that use your existing headers. I like the idea of avoiding the oil pump, and the higher/closer turbo placement that the HP kit offers. I can't seem to find a lot of info out there on this kit, but at this point it's the option I am most interested in because of cost, turbo placement, ceramic coating, and the extras that are included standard with this kit, such as the AEM EMS, 750 injectors, water to air cooling, ect... I feel that this kit offers more room to grow when I get bored with 400 whp :wink: Thanks in advance!

might want to search. There are people who have gone that route previously, and have posted about their experience.

I've got the science of speed turbo. it is nothing short of stupendous.

Mostly Good Kit....Crap customer service.. I was messed around for Months. Must have made 100 phone calls, never had one replied to. many issues never resolved & ended up fixing myself.

The HP system uses it's own manifolds so you will not need to provide headers.

From our own experience of installing the system for a customer in the past, there are some significant issues that need to be worked out or replaced. The cost to address these issues should be considered when comparing the cost of the system.

If you have any specific questions or would like more information in comparing the different systems available - you're welcome to contact us.

cheers,
-- Chris

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, maybe ill just spring for the Lovefab stage 2. Thank you for the helpful replies!

might want to search. There are people who have gone that route previously, and have posted about their experience.

I find it interesting how some people view my HP turbo thread as being negative towards the system or the Company; installing a turbocharger system, with a standalone EMS, is not the same as installing a cold-air intake, it's a dramatic change to the car, regardless of which system you go with.

In terms of layout, the HP Performance kit has one of the better ones available; it's superior in layout to many systems, including the lovefab, which require electronic oil scavenging pumps and additional oil reservoirs. Many manufacturers take a relaxed approach to their design, and simply tag a y-pipe on after a standard NSX header, resulting in a flawed turbo position.

In terms of layout, I would only seriously consider the HP Performance Kit, the Driving Ambition Kit, and the Science of Speed Kit - it's interesting to note that these other two kits were produced by companies which had an HP Performance kit on hand before producing their own kit.

With regard to fitment, my parts were dead on, and most of the kit was on the car in a day - I had an issue with a defective turbocharger, which was quickly replaced by HP Performance. The other owner who I was in touch with, Nathan, also received excellent service from HP Performance, including tuning services since he was local to their shop.

Order the HP kit with a T04S and you will make in excess of 400whp at 8psi, with solid response. This is what most people target with a stock engine.

I find it interesting how some people view my HP turbo thread as being negative towards the system or the Company; installing a turbocharger system, with a standalone EMS, is not the same as installing a cold-air intake, it's a dramatic change to the car, regardless of which system you go with.

In terms of layout, the HP Performance kit has one of the better ones available; it's superior in layout to many systems, including the lovefab, which require electronic oil scavenging pumps and additional oil reservoirs. Many manufacturers take a relaxed approach to their design, and simply tag a y-pipe on after a standard NSX header, resulting in a flawed turbo position.

In terms of layout, I would only seriously consider the HP Performance Kit, the Driving Ambition Kit, and the Science of Speed Kit - it's interesting to note that these other two kits were produced by companies which had an HP Performance kit on hand before producing their own kit.

With regard to fitment, my parts were dead on, and most of the kit was on the car in a day - I had an issue with a defective turbocharger, which was quickly replaced by HP Performance. The other owner who I was in touch with, Nathan, also received excellent service from HP Performance, including tuning services since he was local to their shop.

Order the HP kit with a T04S and you will make in excess of 400whp at 8psi, with solid response. This is what most people target with a stock engine.

I think lovefab has made some changes to the system regarding oil scavaging pumps. The HP system no doubt has one of the superior layouts, and a good price. Just seemed that buyers had issues with parts and CS. Your thread was good reading.

All the turbo systems out there are excellent. Make sure whatever kit you go with it is able to go bigger without a lot of expense(once you have the kit you will want more power). The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kjFOAoSj8-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> in this pass he ran 10.39

Last edited:
All the turbo systems out there are excellent. Make sure whatever kit you go with it is able to go bigger without a lot of expense(once you have the kit you will want more power). The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet.

Ive seen that video several times :biggrin: Its the inspiration behind my turbo build. After looking at the kit design and features I can see its potential... It just seems like its a rare choice for some reason, I have only been able to find a few reviews about it, most ranting about the costumer service, but no performance details. Seems to me like one of the best, well thought through kits available?...

I would like to read your thread, but for some reason i'm unable to find it? Would you mind posting a link? 400 whp at 8psi is my exact goal.

All the turbo systems out there are excellent. Make sure whatever kit you go with it is able to go bigger without a lot of expense(once you have the kit you will want more power). The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kjFOAoSj8-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> in this pass he ran 10.39

Is your car still running on stock internals?

You must have been one of the lucky ones.
First after months of telling me it's in transit a V8 set of headers arrive.
My headers had the flanges welded on upside down.
the wastgate hit on the Intermediate shaft mount
The whole system sat too low & hit on the Brace/frame
The Vbands clamps where the wrong size
the wastegate spring was higher than what i ordered.
No one would return my calls on these issues so I'm more than happy to bag the shit out of them to anyone who wants to listen.

With so many site vendors with dozens of satisfied FI customers, why would anyone go with a turbo kit known for questionable customer service?

For example, each and every time I call SOS, they pick up their phone or get back to me within a few hours. And if something is wrong, they make it right.

You must have been one of the lucky ones.
First after months of telling me it's in transit a V8 set of headers arrive.
My headers had the flanges welded on upside down.
the wastgate hit on the Intermediate shaft mount
The whole system sat too low & hit on the Brace/frame
The Vbands clamps where the wrong size
the wastegate spring was higher than what i ordered.
No one would return my calls on these issues so I'm more than happy to bag the shit out of them to anyone who wants to listen.

1303524448455.jpg
That Sucks! Did they ever eventually make good on it?

I wouldnt buy anything from hp with their customer service and their waiting time to receive ur kit ( at least 6 months before they start send u some parts of the kit not whole kit)

I think I will probably stay away from the HP kit after hearing some of these replys & issues. Its to bad they cant get there business together, it looks like they have good ideas & design, but that's only half the battle.

All the turbo systems out there are excellent. Make sure whatever kit you go with it is able to go bigger without a lot of expense(once you have the kit you will want more power). The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet. in this pass he ran 10.39

The longevity of stock internals in relation to the type of turbo you put on has as much correlation as the day's weather in relation to the socks you picked out to wear that day.

The longevity of stock internals in relation to the type of turbo you put on has as much correlation as the day's weather in relation to the socks you picked out to wear that day.

in cold weather i use thicker socks. So there is definitely a relation for me between weather and socks.:biggrin:

Must be something in the water? I dont recall saying that?:confused: I was just saying that is pretty impressive on stock internals. Lots of NSX's with a built motor cant do that. OBVIOUSLY it was tuned correctly. Simple as that.

Must be something in the water? I dont recall saying that?:confused:

Must be because I specifically recall you saying:

The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet.

One has nothing to do with the other. That would be like saying, Puma still holds the record for the fastest 100 m dash because Usain Bolt wore them. While "technically true", does anyone have any illusion that the manufacturer of the shoe had any part in attaining that record? :rolleyes:

I was just saying that is pretty impressive on stock internals.

It is impressive, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the turbo kit. ANY turbo kit would have done the same given the same boost levels. What's impressive is the stock internals and how remarkable they have held up and not the turbo kit. Put the exact same HP turbo kit on a less stout stock engine (like my original one) and it would have blown up before it even hit 400 hp. Conversely put my turbo, or SOS's turbo, or Brand X turbo on that remarkable stock engine and it would still pull the same numbers given the same boost levels because it's already shown it can handle that level of boost and power.

Last edited:
Must be because I specifically recall you saying:

One has nothing to do with the other. That would be like saying, Puma still holds the record for the fastest 100 m dash because Usain Bolt wore them. While "technically true", does anyone have any illusion that the manufacturer of the shoe had any part in attaining that record? :rolleyes:

It is impressive, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the turbo kit. ANY turbo kit would have done the same given the same boost levels. What's impressive is the stock internals and how remarkable they have held up and not the turbo kit. Put the exact same HP turbo kit on a less stout stock engine (like my original one) and it would have blown up before it even hit 400 hp. Conversely put my turbo, or SOS's turbo, or Brand X turbo on that remarkable stock engine and it would still pull the same numbers given the same boost levels because it's already shown it can handle that level of boost and power.

icon14.gif

I wouldn't choose a kit based strictly on one that makes the car the most power. There are so many other factors. I sure hope people wouldn't think that because someone is running low 10s and making 600+ using this kit they would also be able to do the same on a stock motor.

There are plenty of other choices that won't leave you wondering if you made a mistake. SOS, Lovefab and more.

Keep away from HP performance:mad:
I bought a kit from them a couple of years ago and it took ages to get after numerous phone calls.
When I finally got it one of the headers was mounted back to front.
The AWIC holds only by chance as there are no brackets.
When I needed to replace the turbo, I sent 500$ to secure the order but NEVER received the turbo despite 10's of phone calls:mad::mad::mad:
The worst supplier I've come across!
Since then I bought a LoveFab stage 2, very well engineered, super quality and very good customer support:smile:

Back