Opinion on a 993 C4s & CARFAX please

Hi all, the 993 c4s has always been on my mind, probably not as a replacement, but as a garage mate to my NSX. Anyone on this board have an opinion on these as far as performance, maintenance cost/issues? I'm looking at a '97 w/ 50K miles, mint, factory aerokit, loaded.

The VIN # is WP0AA2997VS321219

Help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Eddie

Complete waste of money.

You could get a civic, camaro, and mustang..... all modded to the max for less than the price of a 993. To top it off, you can run 5 second 1/4 miles at 250mph in all three with all the modifications you could afford. You'll intimidate the world at every stoplight.

I still don't understand why you would waste all that money on a Porsche when there are better bang for the buck sports cars that have such great modification potential.

I guess all you high-end sports cars owners are the same. ;)

I guess you could say the same thing about why you would want to own an Nsx than, since the same holds true.

Go for the Porsche. theyre great cars! Id personally go for a twin turbo though.

ALLAN, I think it was a sarcastic post...

What I can't really imagine is paying 100'000 US$ for an italian car that is also difficult to sit in and out or to park in a narrow place... :D

Last edited:
Here you go

Year/Make/Model: 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.6L H6 FI
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: GERMANY
Safety Equipment: 4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has had no severe accidents reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

No Salvage Title Reported No Loss Due To Fire Title Reported
No Junk Title Reported No Flood Damage Title Reported
No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Reported No Hail Damage Title Reported
No Dismantled Title Reported No Canadian Total Loss Record Reported

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX. CARFAX receives accident indicator information from many sources, continues to expand its coverage, and recommends a vehicle inspection by your dealer or professional mechanic.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 15.Apr.2003 10:24:46. New data will result in a change to this report.

Accident Check FAQs:
How CARFAX Customers use this section | Insurance claims on CARFAX? | About accident reports | Accident statistics

CARFAX Help Center | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has had no odometer problems reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) under the Truth-In-Mileage Act. This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

No Not Actual Mileage Title Reported No Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title Reported

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX did not uncover any odometer rollbacks for this 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219).

Date: Mileage:
12/13/1996 24
02/03/2000 33,959
04/12/2002 50,950

Mileage Accuracy Check FAQs:
How CARFAX Customers use this section | Truth-In-Mileage Act | Rollbacks vs. rollovers | When do you flag a rollback?

GOOD NEWS! This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has had no Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON) reported to CARFAX from a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000.

Lemon Check FAQs:
How CARFAX Customers use this section | What is a Manufacturer Buyback? | How can I get an inspection?

Ownership History:

This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has 5 known owner(s). In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Known Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 12/13/1996 Pennsylvania
2nd owner 02/03/2000 District of Columbia
3rd owner 02/03/2001 District of Columbia
4th owner 06/10/2002 Virginia
5th owner 12/06/2002 District of Columbia

Types of Owners:

This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) was originally registered as a Commercial Vehicle.

No Private Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
Lease Registration Reported Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Government Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported

Ownership Check FAQs:
How CARFAX Customers use this section | No owner names or addresses, why? | Differences between registrations, titles, and # of owners? | Identifying new owners

This 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219) has no recalls that still require repair.

Date: Source: Description:
04/15/2003 Porsche Cars North America No recalls open for repair

Recall Check FAQs:
How CARFAX Customers use this section | Sources of recall data | CARFAX recalls vs. NHTSA recalls

CARFAX searched over 2.07 billion records from nearly 800 sources and found 9 record(s) for this 1997 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA2/4S/S (WP0AA2997VS321219).

Date:
Odometer Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

11/01/1996 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Wayne, PA
Registered as
commercial vehicle

12/13/1996 24 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lisle, IL
Title #50329858 01 DE
Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle

01/05/2000 Auto Dealership
Vehicle offered for sale

02/03/2000 33,959 D.C.
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Washington, DC
Title #K434413
New owner reported

02/03/2001 D.C.
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Washington, DC
Title #K434413
New owner reported

04/12/2002 50,950 Virginia
Inspection Station
Mc Lean, VA
Passed emissions inspection

04/20/2002 D.C.
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Washington, DC
Title #K434413
Registration issued

06/10/2002 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Hampton, VA
New owner reported

12/06/2002 D.C.
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Washington, DC
Title #K434413
Registration issued
New owner reported

04/15/2003 Porsche Cars North America No recalls open for repair

The C4's are great cars they share the suspension and brakes with the Turbo as well as the body. The factory aero kit is a nice added value. The cars are extremely reliable. No valve adjustments, just standard maint. Which is cheaper than the NSX's. The C4s handles very well. You are looking at about 280hp and about 245ftlbs of trq. They are built very well. There has been some instances of a creek at the windshield that guys have found to be irritating but not a big deterant. The price for the car you are looking at should be in the low 50's or less. Some people are in the 60's and they still have them. They are a great bargain currently. The 993 body style has held it's value much better than the 996's and the interior is not cheap.
If you plan on mods for performance, There is very little to do other than exhaust. Everything else is costly and yields very little.
For example 3.8 slip in type piston kits only yield about 25-35hp, and they cost well over 10k to do. In stock form the car is very nice.
YMMV

gheba_nsx said:
ALLAN, I think it was a sarcastic post...

What I can't really imagine is paying 100'000 US$ for an italian car that is also difficult to sit in and out or to park in a narrow place... :D

I couldnt see paying 100,000 U.S. either, thats why i paid 200,000 U.S. for it!

WOW! That is a lot of money for a Diablo, I imagine used?
They go half the price here in Europe...

Diablo 5.7 SV, January 2001, 7500 miles, some extra (Kevlar spoiler, orange interior, sport exhaust, ...): you take it home for 120'000 US$.

http://www.autoweb.ch/sea_det.cfm?v...&make=66&model=466&region=-1&zip=&geartype=-1

I even saw better price before...

Anyway I love the Lambo, I was only teasing you! ;)

PS: you can get the Murcie for that money...

PPS: 1996/1997 Diablos go now for 60k US$!

I have had my Diablo for several years now, and a nice U.S. 1998 SV is still going for 14-150,000 U.S. U.S. Sv's also have considerably more options than the Euros. Also, even if you were to buy a Euro Sv for 120,000, it will cost over 20,000 to convert it to U.S. specs. I have no doubt cars are cheaper in Europe, that also has to do with no transportation costs to the U.S. and the much less stringent epa and dot laws there.

I know that in the US they are a lot more expensive than in Europe, in particulkar Switzerland were the used car market is very very good for the buyewr (not alot of interest in used cars).

Specially both new Ferrari and new Lamborghini get very low prices (but also used Porsche TT goes for considerably less than in the US).

That makes even worse the situation of new NSXs sales that have to challenge with used Modena in the price category... and I understand people going for the Ferrari in that case. :(

If you are going to get the turbo. Get the 97, easier than the 96 when it comes to added tuning. Also the resale is not that grand.
Condidering the car cost 105-110k new. Compare that to the C4S's 73-84K, the C4s has lost the least. Also you can find 96TT's in the High 50's. 97's are being sold in the low to mid 60's.
YMMV
Len

I have a C4 and it is a great everyday driver. In the winter it is good up to about 4 inches of snow. I say it depends what you want to do with the car. If you plan on driving it in the winter I would go with the C4. As a toy, I would go with the turbo.

Rob

I always like the aircooled 911s. Not for the way they drive but their looks and sounds. I had 3 Carreras before I jumped ship. My colleague at work drives a 1998 speed yellow C4S and always parks it next to me. Stunning car and sounds sweet. I think I am too spoiled by the preciseness of the NSXs now. Last time I drove the C4S, it seems tall and sloppy. But that thing is just gorgeous. I would buy one in a heartbeat if you found a right car at the right price. In fact, I am ready to jump ship back to Porsche if they can build a better 911 unless Honda can give me a new NSX.
Regards,
Steve :)

I don't know if anyone is with me here. For the 993, I like the Turbo S but for 996, I like the C4S more than the Turbo. Weird eh?

Back