• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

? on purchase and service

Hi all. I am currently scouring the country for a good 97 - 2000 and have a few questions. Are there any particular week spots to look for when going over a prospect of those years? Any areas of the country to avoid looking because of bad dealers or conditions that prematurely kill the cars? Also what are the major service intervals? For instance if at 60 K it needs a 5K service I would want to be aware of that when deciding between a 35K mile car and a 58K mile car. Are the services worth doing yourself (cost vrs effort)? I know this is quite subjective but I am wondering if changing the water pump is a $25 part that takes 30 minutes to replace (Toyota truck) or if its a $200 part that takes all day. I am a decent mechanic but at my age I am gettting tired of laying under a car all day to save $100. I live in the Seattle area - anyone famillier with a good shop / mechanic that works on NSX's? Thanks for any advice. Any leads on on good yellow or red 97 -2000 would be mighty appreciated as well. Thanks.

bill robson said:
Are there any particular week spots to look for when going over a prospect of those years?
No, except that most of those cars will not have had the timing belt (and water pump) replaced, and on a '97-00 this is recommended for 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.

bill robson said:
Any areas of the country to avoid looking because of bad dealers or conditions that prematurely kill the cars?
No.

bill robson said:
what are the major service intervals?
You can find these in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions), which you can access by clicking the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

In the Maintenance area, you'll find the Schedule and Costs. The schedule shown is for a '91. The '97+ has mostly the same intervals, with the exception of the timing belt service, which was lengthened (as noted above).

bill robson said:
Are the services worth doing yourself (cost vrs effort)?
That's a matter of personal preference and priorities.

bill robson said:
I am wondering if changing the water pump is a $25 part that takes 30 minutes to replace (Toyota truck) or if its a $200 part that takes all day.
It's the latter, which is why it's done at the same time as the timing belt (to save the labor of doing it more than once).

bill robson said:
I live in the Seattle area - anyone famillier with a good shop / mechanic that works on NSX's?
Try searching the Northwest forum on this site.

bill robson said:
Any leads on on good yellow or red 97 -2000 would be mighty appreciated as well.
Try the NSXs for Sale forum on this site.

Back