Old vs. new NSX (the sound, is it the same?)

Hi,

I'm just wondering about something. At some webshops the prices for exhaust for the newer NSXs are a little higher than the old ones, I have read about the reason for it at it's ok - I understood it.

But, I haven't tried the new 2002+ NSXs, and would like to know if the sound of the earlier og the last NSXs is the same?

Well, the reason is that Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear said he really liked the noise it made (it was the 2002+ version) and I want to know if the noise is the same (I'm talking about stock NSXs offcourse..) as in my 91' NSX :) (yes I am a Jeremy Clarkson fanboy :redface: )

Thanks

I think Jeremy is referring to induction noise, not exhaust. Any car can get a loud exhaust, but the intoxicating induction growl/howl behind your head is an NSX exclusive.

mikec said:
I think Jeremy is referring to induction noise, not exhaust. Any car can get a loud exhaust, but the intoxicating induction growl/howl behind your head is an NSX exclusive.

I just traded a 95 for 02, NA1 to NA2, the sound is different, NA2 is deeper and slightly louder.

Shumdit said:
In other words, the 91-96 may sound different than the 97-05. I will say all sound better with the AIS/Downforce scoop!

Oh is that so? You mean fitting a NSX-R hood will give different noise?

Put on a 575 exhaust, well one of the two mufflers...

|Adeel said:
Oh is that so? You mean fitting a NSX-R hood will give different noise?

NSX-R/vented hood will provide downforce at speed, improving handling capabilities. Also perhaps an aerodynamic advantage by lowering the coef'/drag.

There is an aftermarket mod' known as the air-induction scoop. It's offered by a few vendors (Procar NSX, Downforce, Dali Racing, Science of Speed, GT-ROM). It replaces the stock convoluted, smaller intake-tube running from the driver's side-intake to the air-box. This induction scoop combined w/ an aftermarket, performance air-filter (Uni-filter air element) yields somewhat noticable performance gains (5-6rwhp)... also the intake sound is much deeper and bass-like!

FYI: I had the K&N air-filter on my bone-stock '91 NSX 5spd. and I really liked the deep/bass sound when I blipped the throttle. I recently got an air-induction scoop installed and replaced my K&N filter w/ the Uni-filter air-element. IMHO, the sound is less intense and noticable than before... :confused: I have considered putting my K&N back in, just for auditory-satisfaction!!!

Re: Put on a 575 exhaust, well one of the two mufflers...

I was referring to the intake scoop as described below, not a hood.

Osiris_x11 said:
NSX-R/vented hood will provide downforce at speed, improving handling capabilities. Also perhaps an aerodynamic advantage by lowering the coef'/drag.

There is an aftermarket mod' known as the air-induction scoop. It's offered by a few vendors (Procar NSX, Downforce, Dali Racing, Science of Speed, GT-ROM). It replaces the stock convoluted, smaller intake-tube running from the driver's side-intake to the air-box. This induction scoop combined w/ an aftermarket, performance air-filter (Uni-filter air element) yields somewhat noticable performance gains (5-6rwhp)... also the intake sound is much deeper and bass-like!

FYI: I had the K&N air-filter on my bone-stock '91 NSX 5spd. and I really liked the deep/bass sound when I blipped the throttle. I recently got an air-induction scoop installed and replaced my K&N filter w/ the Uni-filter air-element. IMHO, the sound is less intense and noticable than before... :confused: I have considered putting my K&N back in, just for auditory-satisfaction!!!

Re: Put on a 575 exhaust, well one of the two mufflers...

Osiris_x11 said:

Ok, thanks.

I am buying the Science of Speed airfilter Taitec rear diffuser with the lightweight GT centerexit exhaust anyways in April, as planned. Hope the lightweight exhaust has a nice exhaust note as SOS said :)

Hoping to purchase NSX-R hood (not original, but CF Taitec copy) and NSX-R rear wing (also CF and 100% copy from Taitec) in end of this year too.

Back