ok to retrofit a 6 speed to a '91?

6 speed transmission conversion

I am looking to find out if it would be possible to graft an NSX 6 speed transmission in place of the stock 5 speed tranny that came standard on a '91 NSX. Anyone with info on this subject please email [email protected]

thx,

Geno M.

Hi Angeno -

The answer you are looking for is "YES". Dali racing sells all the parts you need to do a 5 speed to 6 speed tranny swap. Of course, the difficult part is to buy a 6 speed transmission. I think Dali even sells the tranny, but check the web site to be sure. I even remember Dali selling a used 6 speed with 4:55 gears for about $5000. Good luck.

http://www.daliracing.com

6 speed '91

Hi-

Thanks for the reply. Tell me a little more about your car please...

gm

btw,

I think your new site will do very well. It looks nicely designed.

Busy day, but we are in, and calls from Canada do work on the toll-free number. You can also e-mail: [email protected]

Cheers,
-- Chris

RDX said:
Hey Chris
I tried to call your shop several time, however no one was there to answer. Do you have a different # to call? thanks

Hi All- Just in the process of considering whether to buy a '91 5 speed NSX. After previously owning a '91 I can say that the only thing that I really didn't like was that it tended to tach significantly higher at highway speed than '97 and later 6 speed NSX's do. However, I think I prefer the fixed coupe rigidity of the earlier cars. So my thought was maybe the best all around solution might be to simply retrofit an OEM 6 speed from a '97 or later NSX into a '91. The thing is, I'm not sure if this will fix the problem or just create a host of new ones that are potentially even worse. So before making a very expensive mistake I thought to solicit a modicum of sage wisdom from you folks. Perhaps there is someone out there who's had a bit of experience in working through this question. As I said, I haven't bought the car yet because I am still trying to decide if it makes more sense to just pony up the extra dough to buy a '97 or later vehicle with the OEM six speed already in place. Anyway, that's the dilemma. Much appreciation in advance for any insight you guys might be able to provide.

angeno

Hi All- Just in the process of considering whether to buy a '91 5 speed NSX. After previously owning a '91 I can say that the only thing that I really didn't like was that it tended to tach significantly higher at highway speed than '97 and later 6 speed NSX's do. However, I think I prefer the fixed coupe rigidity of the earlier cars. So my thought was maybe the best all around solution might be to simply retrofit an OEM 6 speed from a '97 or later NSX into a '91. The thing is, I'm not sure if this will fix the problem or just create a host of new ones that are potentially even worse. So before making a very expensive mistake I thought to solicit a modicum of sage wisdom from you folks. Perhaps there is someone out there who's had a bit of experience in working through this question. As I said, I haven't bought the car yet because I am still trying to decide if it makes more sense to just pony up the extra dough to buy a '97 or later vehicle with the OEM six speed already in place. Anyway, that's the dilemma. Much appreciation in advance for any insight you guys might be able to provide.

angeno

Honestly, I would recommend getting a 97 and up, not only that you get the six speed, you also have the upgraded brakes and other things as well. I think its worth the price to get a 97 and up. You have a better chance of getting your money back and a better resell value with a 97 than a 91 with all the upgrades. Good luck on your search!!

Honestly, I would recommend getting a 97 and up
iagree.gif

Putting a six-speed into a '91-96 is very expensive. The labor is expensive, and six-speeds are very expensive, both new and used. You'll spend thousands of dollars for the swap, and you will never recover that money. Whereas, if you spend the extra money to get a '97-05, your car will always be worth more than a '91-96, so you will recover the price difference when you some day sell it.

If you care that much about the highway revs, and you want to spend thousands of dollars to reduce them, then you're better off buying a '97-05 than retrofitting a six-speed into a '91-96. Especially since you haven't bought an NSX yet.

Honestly, I would recommend getting a 97 and up, not only that you get the six speed, you also have the upgraded brakes and other things as well.
It really depends on your plans for the car. If you plan on any serious performance mods the '91 is a much easier platform to deal with.

It might be expensive to convert a '91 to six-speed but how expensive would it be to convert a '97 to a no eps, cable throttled, one-airbagged hardtop?

Newer isn't always better. ;)

I agree with Dave22...if your going to heavily mod the car then it is something to consider. But if you dont have an unlimited budget, then Nsxtasy has a good point about the resale and recouping your money.

If your going to spend that much money, you might as well spend a little more and go FI.

If your going to spend that much money, you might as well spend a little more and go FI.

I couldnt have say it any better, I would rather go FI than a 6 speed in a 91!! Theres a car for sale that has a comptech supercharger and upgraded brakes for only $39k in colorado!!

Thank you all for taking time to offer such thoughtful and sensible replies. In light of the fact that I probably would keep the car essentially stock, I may limit my search to the '97 and newer cars. The only thing I strongly prefer in the '94 and earlier car is the hardtop. Though opinions are like noses :wink: I see no obvious need for a targa in such a performance-based vehicle. I see that a few non-Zanardi hardtop cars were built in '97, '98 & '99. But I've never seen one for sale...

Back