Oil Drip?

I did...but there was oil all over my engine. It never dripped bad, just here and there, and it would smell like burnt oil.

Solution: Had all the gaskets replaced. (Head, cam seals, oil pan, etc). Of course, mine is a '91, so you have to expect stuff like that.

Check the vtec seals...someone mentioned that they tend to leak. (not sure the whole process, but they may only leak when you're into the vtec range, which is way you're not seeing oil all the time)
(or so I've heard)

Check the Vtec spool valve seals (one per bank on the airbox side), the cam plugs (likely very small leaks here if any) and the oil pan gasket. If not there, I would check the valve covers. Clean them all and watch where it is coming from, good luck!

Would excess oil volume cause a slight drip of unburnt/'fresh' oil from the oil-pan drain-plug?

I did an oil-change 2weeks ago using a new OEM filter & crush-washer and then properly torquing the drain-plug. Since then, I get a small accumulation of oil (approx. palm size) overnite under the oil-pan. It's coming from the drain-plug (so I assume, due to residual droplets). I checked my oil-level and the ol' dipstick shows oil level on the high side (3/4cm above the higher notch-indicator).

In reprise, excess oil-level in engine can leak from oil-pan's drain-plug?

(BTW: oil-pan/gasket were changed 3yrs / 12.5k miles ago)

ineffective plug...?

Briank said:
Over filling will not cause the drain plug to leak. A palm size puddle is a lot for overnight.

Oh... 3 nights, I should've said! Since then, I've been keeping track nightly and it's moreof 2-3 dime size area of drippage.

Perhaps I need a newer oil-pan drain-plug (hopefully such before resorting to new oil-pan/gasket).

There should not be any oil leaking from the drain plug, under any circumstances.

Make sure it's actually leaking at the drain plug. Since that's the lowest point, a leak anywhere nearby could run to that point before dripping.

If it is coming from the drain plug, your best bet is to replace the oil pan, or you can install a helicoil which basically replaces the threads on the existing one.

Just got my car back from the shop yesterday and the Mech said the "oil filter housing gasket" was leaking. He replaced the gasket @ no charge. It's something you might want to look at.

Since im heading to the gap this weekend, I decided to get a fresh oil change even though it wasnt yet due. I took my car in for an oil change to my local acura shop yesterday and this morning i see small oil drops on my garage floor. After further checking, its coming from the oil pan bolt. If the mechanic did in fact replace the crush washer which i imagine he would have. Could this be due to constant over-torquing over time ?

edit: Just got back from dropping my car back off at acura. Getting a new oil pan put on.

Last edited:
Back