Oil changes

Just curious if any of you guys do your own oil changes, or if you goto the dealership or something. I always change my own oil, because i have had other bad experiences. And im changing my NSX's for the first time tomorrow, im excited..:biggrin:

Just curious if any of you guys do your own oil changes, or if you goto the dealership or something. I always change my own oil, because i have had other bad experiences. And im changing my NSX's for the first time tomorrow, im excited..:biggrin:

I change my own, not hard to do actually. I do buy the OEM filter and use Mobile1. It is hard to get the NSX OEM filter from the dealer because it is no longer sold and all they have is the short version.

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/oil_change/oil_change.htm

Here's the real NSX OEM 15400-PL2-004

IMG_3256.JPG

Changing the oil on any Honda is easy, but especially the NSX. Personally, I find it easy to lift the car on the right rear, removing the right rear wheel. This gives you complete access to the drain plug & filter without crawling underneath the car. Once the oil is draining, you can lower the car level to ensure all the old oil is removed. Have yourself a couple of paper towels ready when removing the old oil filter and you're home free... :cool:

From what I've been told, you can add approx. 25 steps if alcohol is consumed during this man ritual! :biggrin:

I also do my own oil changes. But i only have the oem short filter. like nick said they dont usually carry the long ones. but if u need a short filter i have a few available u can use if u didnt get one from the dealer....

Ya I did buy the short oem filter from the dealer... Kinda weird that they changed the filter from a long one to short. I thought it might be fun to have like a tech day... Where we all get together and work on our cars installing misc. Parts we have/ oil changes. It would have to be a pretty big garage though haha

Last edited:
Never reuse the washer.

Once I couldn't find the new washer, so I used the old one. It is called a lock washer! The plug came out while I was on the Spring Mountain track, and there was a trail of oil on more than five miles of the track. The track was w closed for 1 1/2 hours to clean up the oil spill, which means 90 people lost half an hour of track time each, for a total of $4,500 in track time.

My motor was only saved because it holds 3 extra quarts of oil. Surprisingly, they still let me come back to the track.

Not Lance

The Acura dealer only charges $20.00 for labor for an oil change for an NSX.
So total price for oil change with mobil-1 and acura oil filter is around $60.00.
At least I wont have to deal with disposing the old oil and clean-up.

The Acura dealer only charges $20.00 for labor for an oil change for an NSX.

So. the total price for an oil change with mobil-1 and Acura oil filter is around $60.00.

At least I wont have to deal with disposing of the old oil and clean-up.

Old oil can be picked on recycling days.

I found the best way to get filters is in groups of 10 from Mark Johnson, Dali. If anyone has an order from him, it can be picked up at the SM track May 16, without shipping charges. Or I can get it from him, as I will be at the track.

I was lucky and got 10 of the big filters just at the end of the run. It is nice having them in the garage with the oil and the lock nut.

Lance

Back