oil change cost between NSX and 911 CS

today, i visited a modify shop owner. he owns a 911 CS. he told me it cost 700 bucks for oil change. kinda insane. it must take engine out.:eek: for nsx,it is only 35-40.

BS, someone that changes his own oil won't cost more than any other car.

Well 700 might be a bit much. But the 911/Boxster/Cayman engines use a dry sump system, which I know for the Boxster it takes 10L of synthetic oil. It's around $220 for an oil change.

LOL.. I work at a porsche dealer. Other then the massive amount of oil they hold, there's no diff.. about $150-200

today, i visited a modify shop owner. he owns a 911 CS. he told me it cost 700 bucks for oil change. kinda insane. it must take engine out.:eek: for nsx,it is only 35-40.

The oil change cost me $80(Synthetic oil) at the Acura dealer. I only wish I could get cheaper :wink:

Are you refering to 911 SC or club sport old school, they take about 11 quarts of oil and with valve adjustment it does not exceed $450-500 tops, that is required once every 10k miles not every oil change.

I don't believe in the new philosophy if changing motor oil every 14k miles thats insane I dont care how many microfilters the oil passes through.

The Nsx with long oil filter full synthetic yourself about $40.

anyway, i dont own a porsche. i was just told by 2 people that it cost pretty much. nsx is also expensive car. but wont cost like that. ALSO. NO engine failure problem.:biggrin:

love NSX anyway. if i am wrong. correct me. i was also thinking of its $700 for just oil change. hard to believe.

220 sounds reasonable. maybe they lied to me. ha

DIY with Mobil 1 synthetic from Costco and OEM filter is about $40, with conventional motor oil is about $25.00. Save even more when you reuse the old oil from your NSX in your DD.:biggrin:

DIY with Mobil 1 synthetic from Costco and OEM filter is about $40, with conventional motor oil is about $25.00. Save even more when you reuse the old oil from your NSX in your DD.:biggrin:

Haha, you just brought back a memory.. my father used to do this. He took the S2k engine oil which I kicked out before 3k and put it on our beater Camry or Legend.

Funny stuff...

Well 700 might be a bit much. But the 911/Boxster/Cayman engines use a dry sump system, which I know for the Boxster it takes 10L of synthetic oil. It's around $220 for an oil change.

I can confirm this - I got an oil change in my brother's Boxster and it was at least this much, and 10L of Mobil 1.

On the plus side, the dealer told me that Porsche's recommended oil change frequency for the Boxster was 15,000 miles due at least in part to the large amount of oil in the system.

:biggrin: Dude thats freakin funny, using your used oil for your DD. Just classic

Oh come on now. I have a bridge for sale-interested? I have owned a ton of carreras including the "S" and the car has two filters and about 11 quarts of oil. Do the math. Some where under $300 for them to do it for you.

wow that thing must take 10 gallons of oil. :tongue:

F355 has a dry slump. oil filter is 35$. 10 quarts of synthetic is about 60$.

so thats about 100$ in parts.

700$ is just rediculous. :biggrin:

take the engine out? the nature of the dry slump should be very easy oil changes since 1/2 the oil is in the pan and the other in the storage tank.

it would be cheaper to tap a drain plug into the dry slump pan :P

Haha, you just brought back a memory.. my father used to do this. He took the S2k engine oil which I kicked out before 3k and put it on our beater Camry or Legend.

Funny stuff...

How did the Camry and Legend take to the used oil?

The stealership quoted me $500 for my 996TT. I immediately took my car to an independent porsche shop for $150. Makes me appreciate my NSX even more.

I've changed the oil on a Cayman S before. It's ridiculously easy. Weirdest part is, there is no dipstick! The oil level is monitored when the engine is started. The 'hardest' part is making sure you don't overfill it:smile:

I had 4 porsches in my lifetime which were Boxster, 996C4, 996C4S and 996TT and average oil change from the "real" dealership is about $200-$250. No way it was close to $700. If that was a CGT, might be true.

On the plus side, the dealer told me that Porsche's recommended oil change frequency for the Boxster was 15,000 miles due at least in part to the large amount of oil in the system.

It's partialy true the amount does help however Porsche has been using 11 quarters on most boxter motors and early 911's included and back then the oil change was 4500 miles not 15k. Bmw also recommends 14k most of their cars which only use 7 quarts of oil. IMO the reason for the higher duration between oil service, is the automotive industry is trying to save money. Most new cars include oil service in their warranty package, so their marketing department said hey why don't we bump the oil changes from 7K to 14k and say tranny fluid for the life of the vehicle and the coolant. I would never go past 5k on any car for an oil change regardless of the quantity of oil.

Total and complete horse manure.

An oil change on a 997 Carrera S at the dealership is about $200 - $250.

Most reputable, independent shops will do the same work for $150 - $200.

BTW - comparing the cost to change oil of the NSX and 997S isn't exactly fair.

Make sure you compare synthetic to synthetic and then take into consideration how much oil the Porsche requires.

And the engine doesn't need to come out of the 997, 996 or 993 for an oil change. I can't speak to any earlier models but your source of info. is either ignorant or a liar.

My G holds 10.5 litres with the filter, the filter is about $70.00 and because of the dry sump, it is a two stage process to fill and drain, which does take a bit more time, but no where near $700 unless shop rates are $500 ph...

Back