October 5 – Japanese Car Day (Brookline, MA)

Please come if you have time. I was informed that it will start around 10am.

Japanese Car Day: Sponsored by the Drone Club, Showa Institute, RNK Telecom & DirectTire, registration $10 includes 2 admissions

At

Larz Anderson Auto Museum
15 Newton Street
Brookline, Massachusetts 02445

Directions from Boston/North Shore

Take Route 93 South to Storrow Drive. Take the Fenway exit. Follow Outbound /Riverway signs to Boylston Street (taking a right off the ramp). Boylston St. will merge onto Brookline Ave. Follow Brookline Ave. to the Riverway/Jamaica Way intersection. Turn left onto the Riverway (this will turn into the Jamaica Way). You will go through the intersection with Perkins Street (Max Warburg Sq.) and Jamaica Pond will appear on your right. Go 1/2 way around the rotary (Kelley Circle) and at the lights turn right onto Pond Street. Pond Street will turn into Newton Street. The museum is located in Larz Anderson Park on the right about a 1/2 mile from the rotary.

Directions from West (Rte. 128/ I-95)

Take Rte. 128/ I-95 to Rte. 9 towards Boston. You will eventually pass the Chestnut Hill Mall on your left. Six lights after the Mall, you come to a major intersection (approx. 5 miles from Rte 128/ Rte. 9 intersection). Take a right onto Lee St. (If you pass the reservoir on Rte. 9 you’ve gone to far). Follow Lee to it’s end. This is Newton St. Turn left onto Newton St. Stay to the right around the bend. The museum is in Larz Anderson Park which is 1/4 mile on the left.

Directions from Boston/South Shore

Take Rte. 3/ I-93 to exit 11. Granite Ave/Ashmont. Follow Granite Ave north to second traffic light, then turn left onto Rte. 203. Follow Rte. 203 (also called Gallivan and later Morton Blvd.) to the rotary where the Arborway and Rte. 203 meet. Follow the Arborway for 1/2 mile, merging left with traffic. You will come to a second rotary (Kelley Circle). Follow the rotary 3/4 of the way around to the light. Turn right onto Pond St./Newton Street. The museum is located in the park on the right 1/2 mile from the rotary.

I don't really keep up with the interesting Japanese vehicles outside of the NSX and MR2. Does anyone know what sort of turnout they got for this last year and what type of cars? I always go to British Car Day (always a huge turnout, lots of cool cars) with the Lotus and Italian Car Day when it does not rain (last 2 years were wet). I used to have a Datsun 2000, which was fun and it might be nice to see one of those. I am guessing that the event will be dominated by 240Z's and Honda minicars. Input wanted!

JPS Europa said:
Input wanted!

I have never been to the event myself. Perhaps, Rich may have an answer for you. Rich?

r u going tigger?

I don't know for sure right now. I may be away this weekend. However, I will let you know if I am going.

I think this may be the first year for the Japanese day.. Not sure.

Other interesting Japanese cars could include the Toyota 2000 GT, Skylines a multitude of 60's, 70's and 80's race cars.

Drop a note to the museum. I am sure they could provide you a list of owners displaying and the types of cars to be displayed.

I have no idea how many or which cars will attend.

RichH

Well, I went over with one of my kids. There were 3 NSX's there including mine. Lot's of Datsun 2000's, which is what I wanted to see. No Skyline with one hour to go...they said one was coming, but had to get home for the Sox game (Go Red Sox!!!). A few Z cars were there...I expected a ton. There was one of those tiny Subaru microcars, hope he won the Peoples Choice Award...too cool! So all in all, about 40 cars. The organizers were not unhappy as it was their first year. They do need to get the word out better next year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!
I really wanted to make it, but my friend decided to visit me at the last minute from New York city. If they have one next year, we will inform others in advance.

I am glad that there were at least 3 NSXs!!

Back