OBD used on 95 MY

I am looking to purchase a 95 NSX-T and was curious as to what type of OBD is used on that MY.

ceeya32 said:
What the hell does that mean? :confused:

The 91-94 NSX is ODB1. 95-05 are OBD2.

Basically what that means is if you want to do FI, you are better off with OBD1 because you have a lot more options for engine management. ie. AEM.

Netviper is right.

Just to clarify, OBD = On Board Diagnositics. I'll try and give a hack job explanation below. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for here (it's free, and might be partially correct).

OBD1 is a simpler engine management system where the accelerator is connected to the throttle by way of a cable. 1 O2 sensor one for each cyl bank in the exhaust manifold/header reasons the makeup of the exhaust, gives that info to the ECU that in turn controls the controls the engine management.

OBD2 is 'fly by wire' where accelerator to throttle body connections are electronic. There are 4 o2 sensors - the original 1 per bank, and 1 more per bank after the cat. The benfit are: 1.) supposed to be easier troubleshooting at the shop, and 2.) better emissions control.

IIRC, OBD2 was mandated in the US for the 1996 model year. The NSX went with it a year early. The reason (likely) that he original posted asked if 95 was OBD 1 or 2 is that 1 is easier to modify for more power with aftermarket ECUs or standalone management systems (especially true with FI). As an example, 95 M3s are generally preferred over 96s for this reason.

Theoretically, 95 NSXs could have been OBD1 with targa tops and therefore a 'sweet spot' for some people. But, they weren't.

White94 said:
Netviper is right.

OBD2 is 'fly by wire' where accelerator to throttle body connections are electronic. There are 4 o2 sensors - the original 1 per bank, and 1 more per bank after the cat. The benfit are: 1.) supposed to be easier troubleshooting at the shop, and 2.) better emissions control..

Can a car be OBD2 and trottle by cable? I thought only higher end cars were drive-by-wire? I didn't think it had anything to do with OBD2.

I dunno - hopefully someone will chime in and educate me/us. I meant the comment to be NSX specific, but even then I am limited to what my own poking around has taught me - and I still have plenty to learn.
:smile:

White94 said:
I dunno - hopefully someone will chime in and educate me/us. I meant the comment to be NSX specific, but even then I am limited to what my own poking around has taught me - and I still have plenty to learn.
:smile:

Well, you are correct about the NSX for sure. I have learned all about ODB2 and 95's.

Few cars are drive by wire, all cars after 1995 are OBDII,and 1997 for light trucks, OBDII allows you to access and monitor the sensors and switches with a generic scan tool, OBDI does not.

zahntech said:
Few cars are drive by wire, all cars after 1995 are OBDII,and 1997 for light trucks, OBDII allows you to access and monitor the sensors and switches with a generic scan tool, OBDI does not.
Yes, exactly. Drive by wire is not mandated by law and so has nothing to do with whether a car is OBDII. It's just coincidence that both were implemented on the NSX in the same model year, 1995.

Ob2 has more to due with more powerful computer ecu's managing more specific engine/emissions parameters,and techs abilities to pull trouble codes and diagnose problems,but also can provide more info on how you drive than you may wish big brother to know.

Good discussion, thanks for the info everyone. I was basically just curious because I have an OBDII code reader and use it on my 97 XK8. I am in the process of purchasing a 95 NSX-T and was hoping that I would not have to purchase another code reader. I enjoy doing almost all of my own maintenance. There has to be a pretty bad problem for me to give it to a dealer. There's no need to pay someone else for something I can do, plus I know the job is done right and I get to know my car better.

OBDII can give much more specific diagnostic information above OBDI. I don't know a lot about OBDI, but I know that OBDII can pin-point problems to specific banks, cylinders, sensors and the sort. I think OBDI is much more generic.

If your check engine light comes on you can go to Auto Zone or some other auto parts store and they will read the codes for your car for free. I don't know if they will reset the codes and turn the light off though. The code reader can do that and I have saved a lot by having my own and not taking it in each time it comes on. Plus it saved me big once when I was having a tranny problem, I was able to trouble shoot the problem and fix it for next to nothing. It can be helpful when going to the dealer since you are armed with some basic info instead of them just trying to tell you a whole bunch of stuff is wrong. From what I have been reading there does not seem to be much complaint about dealer mechanincs but from the Jag forums most of those dealers aren't very good at real troubleshooting and fixing problems. They trouble guess and just throw parts at it, at the cost of the owner of course.

You will find very helpful members who can trouble shoot your diy mechanical ills in that forum,some of these folks surpass the nsx knowledge of many dealers!

Back